Manufacturers and sales

DC AFG

Newly Enlightened
Back for a second post.
Most of my flash lights have been purchased on line from a store (going gear etc) Many of the flashlights I see advertised on this forum appear to come directly from China, I assume the manufacturer. Photos help in buying on line though I must admit the nitecore just didn't fit right in the hand and is relegated to the vehicle. Are there any issues / dramas buying direct from the manufacturer (apart from it just not feeling right) or are they mostly okay?
I see many people are building their own flash lights in a mix and match manner. I think I would like to try this but the acronyms and what is available / would fit and suit in ie the lens department is a bit over whelming. I have an image that I would end up with 3 or 4 extra bits that did not fit the rest. Is there a build assist site or do you come to this forum and ask "which bit do I buy next?"

cheers

DC

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
How handy you are is directly proportionate to how much you'll actually do on a flashlight.
If you can run a lathe, you may be able to make your own, if you can sodder than you might swap emitters and drivers in an existing flashlight, to get the modes and brightness you want.
The question is how handy are you? I'm not handy with electronics, so I like P60 hosts like Surefires and solarforce were I can use aftermark parts to make the light that's right for me.
:welcome: hope I helped some, there are some good step by step posts in the Custom modified Discussion area

carrot

Flashaholic
Sounds like you are referring to the Surefire lego system. Typically the right place to start for this is with a Surefire C-series, such as the 6P, C2, Z2. There are Surefire clones (others will surely tell you about them) but if you go with Surefire parts you'll find everything else in the aftermarket is designed specifically for them. You will want a light engine, typically referred to as a "P60-style drop-in" and you can get them in varying qualities for varying prices. There is a whole ecosystem of parts, such as those available from Malkoff-Devices.com and Oveready.com, which is a great place to start looking. It ain't cheap, but it sure is a fun way to build your dream light.

I agree that some lights do not have a good "hand feel." I don't really wish to delve into which manufacturers don't, but I recommend you check out HDS EDC at $99 which is very reasonably priced for what you get and is superb to use from an ergonomic and engineering perspective. It's a highly refined design that comes from years of testing/use and iterative improvements.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...what Carrot said. Welcome to CPF DC...check the links in my sig for help, and then take it from there. Enjoy!