quick ULTRASTINGER question

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you focus it? or is it pre-focused like the sl20x?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
well shoot. i think that ruins it for me.

how are the rings or dark spots? why would streamlight make it adjustable?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why would that ruin it for you? Don't you like the option of spot-to-flood? It's nice to be able to set the focus instead of relying on hired help to set these permenantly for you.

You can set it the way you want and leave it, or epoxy it in place if it makes you feel better.
biggrinsanta.gif

There is a pretty good range of adjustment with no rings or dark spots in the beam. My US with textured reflector puts out just as good of a beam as my surefires do.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by tkl:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Even though I generally don't care for focusable lights, there are exceptions like the US, which holds its focus better than some other focusables (Scorpion, etc). The Surge is another well designed focusable, or at least semi-focusable.

That said, for optimum beam focus that you can always rely on nothing beats a fixed focus light.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Fixed focus lights are for those circumstances when the operator's focus should not be bifurcated. Certain occupations lend themselves better to this application. I prefer the focusable rechargeable lights for general application when I need a flood light for sustained periods. The Ultrastinger focuses into spot mode better than flood. This is the reason that I have retained usage of the Maglite Magcharger.

The Ultrastinger should be shorter and its lamp assembly permanently fixed into spot mode. The Stinger HP, with its rear switch, is a better configuration. In due time, when users realize the benefit of the Stinger HP, it should outsell the Ultrastinger.

This is the reason that the Streamlight SL-35X has not attained the popularity of the SL-20-Series. The 35X is just simply too long for the intended application. I a few years, the Ultrastinger will supplant the 35X. The Stinger HP will eclipse the Ultrastinger and will be what the Surefire 9N and 9AN aspired to be and the 10X will never become - a rechargeable, affordable tactical light that will also serve for general duty applications.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stinger HP doesn't have a rear switch. The STinger XT does, but that model can also use the HP configuration....A Stinger XT/HP...

--dan

SuRgE

Enlightened
If you don't want to epoxy the focus then use black electrical tape around the bezel. It works great and doesn't damage the housing.
grin.gif