NEW HERE - Need some help

nukedave

Newly Enlightened
So I don't really know much about lights first off. I want to get a new light for work; currently have a mini mag. The MAG just doesn't really cut it. The main purpose would be for walking down large equipment in poorly lit areas and checking oil level in a .75"x6" sight glass from 40-50ish feet away. I would like it to operate on AAs or AAAs, due to them being free and very available at work. Also a push button tail cap; I hate having to turn the head on the mini MAG. A less than $50 would be great too. Thanks for the help and education.

Last edited:
I recommend you start your search by reviewing the specs for the following:

4/7's Quark 2xAA (either the regular or the tactical models).

EagleTac 2xAA.

Read up on these, and get a feel for whether they might suit you purpose. There are several excellent reviews on these lights in the forum...just use the search feature, and start reading whitin the list of posts the search feature produces. You'll spend some time getting up to speed reading about these, and related lights you'll see references to. This is a good thing, and you'll learn more about what it is you need, and then (and more important) what extra features you want.

Imon

Enlightened
I think as flashaholics we sometimes recommend lights with extra features that most non-flashaholics really don't care about.
The Quark is a great light, I certainly love mine, but couldn't a simpler light like a Fenix E20 or E21 fulfill the OP needs just as well for $30 less?

That would be my suggestion.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to buy locally so you can see the light physically (I'm like that with 90% of stuff), the Inova X2 is a great AA light with a good mix of flood and throw. Target carries them, and you can check the beam, etc. They also run good on Duraloop/Eneloop RC AA's.

BTW, :welcome: