820lm XM-L on a single rcr123?

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Probably only a 15-20min runtime on high correct? Isn't this how 123 batteries vent/explode?

Last edited:

joco

Newly Enlightened
Why would this be a bad idea with an IMR? I would think it could handle this amount of draw, unless I'm missing something.

John

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
Totally do-able w/ the package you linked to, and that particular drop-in doesn't draw quite as hard on a single cell as some other XM-L drop-ins. You definitely need to use an IMR though, and your run-time estimate is probably pretty close. Try not to draw your voltage all the way down (<3.5v) on your battery though, unless you like using IMR's as disposables...

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't say if the package comes with the single or multi mode drop in. With that setup, I would hope you at least have the option to run on low.

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't say if the package comes with the single or multi mode drop in. With that setup, I would hope you at least have the option to run on low.

Ah, quite true. It would be worth asking Solarforce if it was the single or 5-mode drop-in included. Good catch.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
They really should not advertise that working with 1 cr123a. I would not want it anywhere near me on a single primary cr123a cell or even an rcr123a LiCo cell. IMR would be fine.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would this be a bad idea with an IMR? I would think it could handle this amount of draw, unless I'm missing something.

John

Well for one, you don't know how good the thermal path is from the LED board to the dropin - I doubt that solarforce is using arctic silver ;)

Craig

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
Well for one, you don't know how good the thermal path is from the LED board to the dropin - I doubt that solarforce is using arctic silver ;)

Craig

A valid point, but that applies to this (and many other) budget XM-L drop-in(s) used w/ any P60 host. I wouldn't think it's going to be significantly better or worse in this single IMR16340 configuration as compared to any other host in that regard.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA !!! Exactly the same setup I put together from Solarforce parts when L2-S7 got out... Used it with Nailbender XML 2.8A with IMR 16340... any other battery and you might have :poof:.

Later purchased another L2m but this one was wider inside and I could fit IMR 18350 for slightly more mAh so I'm using this setup above with M61WL for 60+ minutes runtime.

As far from safety side, it is just funny (and not very responsible) to write on their page that it can support single CR123 to run on high... and it's hard driven if they are promising 820 lumens, that is at least 500 OTF and it's HARD driven, close to 3A around 3-4V... any primary will vent, and since Solarforce hosts are rather good quality and fit well, you have very nice micro-bomb in the hand...

Whoever decides to go for this setup, gotta understand that you can only fit 16340 battery inside with less mAh so less runtime (IMR 16340 = 550mAh)... You can replace that dropin inside with Thrunite XPG with 1A draw and safely run either CR123 or RCR123 but if you keep 3A XML, make sure you run IMR (and if you're running that XML in L2 body, upgrade the tailcap with McClicky thing, it's rather easy with all available parts already in the tailcap, just to be sure it can handle the draw)...

EDIT: Just figured out that the dropin they are mentioning on the page is 3-6V... or I'm imagening... lol

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I think all the recent L2m's have 18 mm internal bore, and the dropin isn't 820 lumens, its more like 500ish.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't be sure if they are still making two different versions but shorter body is 17mm and longer thread tailcap is 18mm... solarforce is offering some cool items now that you can use to put together a nice little setup... I tried solarforce XPG (green label) 0.8-4.2V seems perfect for this setup... Since their dropins are rather less bright than Thrunite 1.5A I have I presume they are drawing less current, therefore are safe for CR123...

So, a bezel with flat stainless steel ring is $10, body is $8, L2-S7 is $8 and XPG dropin is $14... what you absolutely need in this setup is Oveready McClicky upgrade kit... it may seem like huge part of the project with $21 soft press boot but you're going for shortest possible 3P clone that has awesome quality and can be run on CR123 and RCR123's... also, if L2-S7 with OR McClicky seems too much, you could go for L2P tailcap, $5 for reverse clicking but way longer body (with some use grinding make it shorter but still rather long setup)...

Wish I can post few pictures of recent LEGO I did with Surefire, Solarforce and similar parts... that's the way I kill time after work overseas... :) Like short body Nailbender XML pocket rocket... small and cute with more much more throw than M61...