4Sevens Quark Turbo 123ˆ2 "X" is out!

tmackie

Newly Enlightened
Just saw the announcement on their Twitter feed - hopefully they will make the XML head available for us that have an abundance of Quark components to lego with it :)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be a really good light if it does not suffer from the donut effect in the hotspot. Definitely a pocket rocket.

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
if the voltage range is Voltage range: 3.0V ~ 9.0V
does that mean that it can handle two RCR123's for even MORE output?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the run times are good, because it's not driven so hard.
It's a trade-off. Most XM-L lights have very low run times when driven hard, because that LED likes to be driven hard. Unfortunately, 2 primary batteries only have a certain capacity.
So, it depends on what you want.
To me, 450 lumens is alot of light, and it still gives quite decent run times.
I think it's a good compromise there, between power and run time.

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
wonder how this will compare to the Maelstrom R5 version which is about the same price these days. obviously more lumens, but wonder what the throw/beam profile will be?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
wonder how this will compare to the Maelstrom R5 version which is about the same price these days. obviously more lumens, but wonder what the throw/beam profile will be?

That's an interesting question, because I noticed that the Turbo X has a larger reflector diameter than the regular Quark Turbo. It's 1.5" diameter.
However, if I were to venture a guess, I'd guess that the Maelstrom G5 will throw further than the Turbo X, due to its even larger and deeper reflector.

Kirodragon

Newly Enlightened
Drive currents looks like a copy-paste-job from the Quark 123² Turbo, R5 Edition.
To produce 450 lumens OTF the XM-L needs to be driven at about 1.5A, 260 lumens needs about 800mA and to produce 60 lumens OTF it needs about 150mA.

Calculations based on T6 bin.

Last edited:

Mikellen

Enlightened
260 lumens from 250mAh?
450 lumens from 990mAh?

How is it possible to have 3 hours runtime at 250 maH and 1.5 hrs. at 990 mah? (According to 4sevens specs)
250 is almost 1/4 of 990 so if it gets 3 hours at 250 mah shouldn't the runtime at 990 mah be about 45 minutes?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, just a week after I finally built my Quark Turbo 123³ (123² head, bored-out AA² body), they drop this?

They'd better offer just the head, cause now I needs that big head and extra lumens! :devil:

(If I have to buy the whole light, then I've got two spare 123² tubes -- I suppose I could make a coupler and make a 17650² of the pieces... but I do not enjoy thread cutting to start with, and grinding up a tool for tiny internal square threads is just a headache.)

CSSA

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one which I hope will make a good light for camping and walking the dogs at night. What affect would using an 18650 battery and body have (other than making the flashlight larger)?

LowFlux

Enlightened
What affect would using an 18650 battery and body have (other than making the flashlight larger)?
Greater energy capacity in 1x 18650 compared to 2 x CR123s; however 18650s start at a lower voltage then 2 CR123s (max 4.2 volts vs 6 volts) so most multi-battery lights drop out of regulation quicker.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Do you guys think this will throw as well as the R5 Turbo? I have one of them and am contemplating selling it to get this guy.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
38mm bezel.......Doesnt sound too big to me. So, will it even reach 20K lux?????

I guess we will find out soon.

bigC

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been hoping 4sevens would make a "thrower", I don't think this is it.
Yeah 38mm, but with an XM-L you're still looking at a larger die. It may throw as well as the other Turbos, but I doubt it will be better.

Now, if it was driven twice as hard...