Opinions on Streamlight Stylus 3 (3 AAAA)?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It's a great edc, especially if you have a shirt pocket! The modern day pen-light! Look at the runtime plot in the Reviews Forum.

Zigzago

Enlightened
I have a Stylus and it's a solid, well-made light. It also seems brighter than my other single LED lights (Photon II, Arc AAA, Infinity Ultra).

If by "truncheon" you mean a club, it's a little small for that, but I suppose you could use it to jab an attacker in the eye or some other sensitive spot.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zigzago said:
...I suppose you could use it to jab an attacker in the eye or some other sensitive spot.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know why that struck me so funny, but I laughed out loud when I read that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a great light, and I love it - if you can keep it... for some reason, I lost it somewhere in the last year... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dan

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have one and I am testing it for two weeks now ... it is a good solid light albeit a bit on the long side and the LED at the bsuiness end is a bit exposed and will rub on the bottom of the pocket. the look is a bit crude, too.
but it performs well so far.
overall I prefer my V16 though.
bernhard

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine fine, both green and white.

Best possible light for inspecting one's tonsils.

My white one had the contact between the LED and the metal tube get intermittent (light dimmed and flickerered a bit and brightens when the LED is tapped; may have some connection with using it as a tongue depressor). I seem to have fixed that by rubbing a bit of the conductive lubricant (Nyogel, mentioned elsewhere) in around the LED.

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
There's another variation of this. ADT sells a lookalike version, where the LED can be unscrewed and interchanged, and the switch is a clickie. The kit I got has two bodies with switches, three LEDs, one each white, blue and UV, and a gooseneck adaptor, all in a metal case. I'm happy with it, and with my three Styli... --Bob

Rex01

Newly Enlightened
The Stylus is an unbeatable inspection light. It's long and thin, and can go where other lights can't. Also, its LED is almost completely exposed, which means it throws a decent amount of light sideways, and it even throws some light backwards. Poke it through a vent hole, and it really lights up the insides of equipment.

I wouldn't say it looks crude at all. In fact, it blends with the "office look" better than any other light I know of. Mine has a permanent home in a pen loop in my planner, which follows me everywhere at work, from conference rooms to construction sites. No one knows it's not a pen unless I tell them.

Oh and it's bright, too. And waterproof. And well built. And inexpensive.

-Rex

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've had one for over three years (summer 2000 at the latest), and other than the fact it needs AAAA cells, it's a fine little light. Mine's never become broken, but I've only run a few sets of batteries through it. The ones I have in there now must be pooping out, because it's noticeably dimmer than an Arc-AAA.

The light has a warmer color to it than even my CPF edition Arc-AAAs; there isn't very much blue in it at all except for a small spot right at the center - but this is to be expected of most 5mm white LEDs.

Hmmm... I just tried the suction test on mine (I didn't have that test when I wrote its webpage in 2000), and although it passed, it lit up VERY dimly when I put the batteries back in. I took the batteries back out and put them back in in a different order, no change. So I took the batteries back out, and BLEW into the flashlight really hard, then put the batteries back in, and it lit up normally. I don't know if this was a fluke, or if I've found something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Stylus for my wife which she uses daily at work (she is a nurse). Her coworkers have asked repeatedly where she got such a cool light. It comes with some handy attachments, too. One is kind of a hood that blocks side spill, which is good for eye exams.

cmendoza

Enlightened
There's also a way to get 6 AAAA out of a 9volt battery for inexpensive replacements.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

A lighting source, it is a fine product; quite adequate for use at distances 12 inches and below. For that very reason, I let a physician friend talk me out of the one that I owned. He has recommended it to several colleagues. I know of a small hospital in the South that issues this product to its staff.

As a truncheon, it should serve adequately: so does a pencil, pen, your fingers, a popsicle stick, chopsticks, keys, etc.