Hunting flashlight recommendations

griffshrek

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

A couple of questions for the more knowledgeable than myself about scope mounted flashlights, I am after a scope mounted flashlight to fit to my CF rifle I will need to illuminate fox /coyote size targets out to 330yds and have a concentrated/tight beam . I have narrowed my selection down to the following two makes as these will fit the size weight and cost

1/ Tiablo A9 R5 280 lumen (with aspherical lense )
2/ Dereelight DBS (with aspherical lense )

a/ Has any of you out there any first hand experience in using these flashlights for this type of hunting & what ranges can you identify target to
b/ Which light would you recommend
c/ How narrow /tight are the beams on these two lights at 200yds
d/ Is there much difference between Tiablo A9 Q5 256 lumen & R5 280 lumen
e/ Best mounting system to fit light to scope
f/ Any other light recommendations that would fit the bill

Sorry for the barrage of questions but looking to upgrade to a new good quality light that will have to last me several years of use , as I am getting older slower fatter the novelty of my Tracer Max filament light with wires switches and heavy battery packs dangling and catching on everything is wearing thin.

regards........Neil

lightforce2

Enlightened
Hi grifshrek,
I've used both lights as scope mounted & hand held for a few years, some time ago I posted some pics in this thread (scroll down till you find them) http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?239724-Tiablo-A9-collimator-head-beamshots..

I prefer the Tiablo for scope mounting as its lighter in weight which is important on a heavier recoiling rifle, the R5 will be brighter than the Q5 however I found that modding the Q5 with an R2 warmer tint such as WH and driving it at 1.4 amps gives some very impressive performance (the same could also be done with the Dereelight too)

I use an offset detachable mount however I cant recall the brand as its not a high quality component but it works well and always zero's to the cross hairs when re-attached

cheers

griffshrek

Newly Enlightened
Lightforce2 thank you for the reply the beamshots pics are a great help....neil