What will bring down the E2e??

Reno

Enlightened
I've seen lots of great led developments lately, but still nothing that matches the E2e's beam characteristics, which I consider about perfect for all-around use. How long until a light comes around that duplicates the brightness, small size, and throw of the E2e??

Rechargeability and longer runtime would be a nice icing on the cake....

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TL-3 is much larger than the E2e/E2o and so doesn't really appear to fit in with what Flux is asking.

The only flashlight that comes close to matching the E2e in the same size class is the L4. The L4 likely puts out more light compared to the unregulated E2e but the KL4 bezel does not have the beam throw of the E2e which you state as a requirement.

Generally, I don't find myself needing the difference in throw that the E2e/A2 has over the L4. When I do need more throw, I tend to want higher output to got with the throw.

Al

HunterSon

Enlightened
Well I don't have a TL-2 Led to compare yet, but in terms of size my mini Mag with a kroll is a little bigger than my E20 and the TL-3 is a little bigger than the mag. The Task Light 3AA Led is a couple of inches bigger than all of the above. I would consider my 3D mag light to be "much larger" than all of them. For throwing in a coat pocket the TL-3 is only marginally bigger than the E2 to me.

Darell

Flashaholic
You can build your own in a Pelican M6 if you'd like. A 1W in there throws at least as far as an E2. A 5W in there gives an amazing amount of light, and throws about the same as an E2. Or go the easy route and use an L4 off the shelf.

For me, we're THERE. In this size, I don't see any more reason to use incandescents. I have several LED lights now that easly out-perform the E2.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I consider there to be a difference in size group between those you can EDC clipped inside your pants pocket and those that are either too thick bodied, too long bodied, too heavy or have a bezel which is too large.

Currently, the A2 is the largest light in the E2e's group for me. The "thin" compactness of these lights is very important for EDC in my opinion.

The E2e is the EDC flashlight. If you want to bring it down I expect the replacement to do what the E2e does and be brighter and throw further. Currently, I don't believe there is such a flashlight, certainly not an LED model.

Al

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
HunterSon-

Are you using the stock E2O - 25 lumen lamp, or the standard E2e - 65 lumen lamp?

Anyway...

When considering EDC some people won't tolerate anything larger than an ARC-AAA. What may be a physically small difference to you, may be a huge difference to others.

As far as coat pocket size, this is way out of my EDC. For a large portion of the world, coats and jackets are worn for only four months a year. My EDC has to go in a pants pocket.

Matter of fact even the E2e is pushing my limit of EDC.

Thinness counts alot for me, so anything that tops it is going to have to be smaller and brighter.

GregR

HunterSon

Enlightened
Yes I was refering to the MN02 25 lumen bulb. I live in the great white north so most of the time I have some form of a jacket with me. Besides if I were to try to carry everything I need in my pants pockets I would need a big pair of pants.

Women are lucky, if a man carries a small bag over his shoulder he could get a few odd looks. Fanny packs are ok but try wearing one with a coat. Anyway, I have dragged us way off topic.

I agree that the L4 is probably the best way to go for the same size unless Streamlight can manage to stuff a regulated 5 watt into their TL-2.

Heck

Enlightened
Hunterson: I carry camera bags that can pass as small purses at a quick glance....over my shoulder and I don't really get weird looks :p

Even though I wear coats often, I usually keep them in my pant pocket, or most recently, in a holster..although people reading a surefire logo on a holster always assume it's some sort of weapon like pepper spray...

Like Darell, I want to go 100% solid state, but I do need the throw sometimes...and as size15 mentioned, when I need throw, I also need more lumens to "light" things up....that being said..I hope the L5 or KL5 will be sufficient for throw and maybe increased lumen rating....2 celled lights are about as big as I wanna carry....

Reno

Enlightened
HunterSon - "I agree that the L4 is probably the best way to go for the same size unless Streamlight can manage to stuff a regulated 5 watt into their TL-2."

THAT sounds like the ticket... throw in a Pila 168a and that would do everything!

I just wish Surefire would offer a revision of the reflector for the L4 that duplicated the E2e's beam characteristics.

RevDavid

Enlightened
I would not mind a smaller light that would do the same thing as my E2E or L4, but what in the world would you do with all that heat in a smaller body? If you could put that much light/heat in an arc aaa body, you would have a hard time holding onto it. As it is, I would be a little more comfortable if the L4 head had some heat sink fins to dissipate its considerable heat, though as long as I am holding onto it continuously, it is okay. But try setting it down for a few moments while on, and the heat buildup is somewhat problematic.

I think that we will find better brightness in these smaller lights as the newer LEDs become more energy efficient, and that will happen over time. When you think about it, look how far progress has taken us already...

There will be custom lights that will do more in small packages, but read the threads carefully on some of these ultra small lights, and you will find that they are really more suitable for momentary-on situations, which is certainly a valid way to design a light, but not for everyone. I think such lights have legitimacy as personal tactical devices that are easy to EDC, as well as the fact that they are just plain cool.

I want a nice bright light that I can use to walk a trail at night, or spend ten minutes at a time looking for something in the dark that I might have dropped on the ground, or whatever, without having to worry about whether I can keep holding on to the light.

It is also possible to increase brightness in the spot at the expense of usable spill, but how far can you go with that and be comfortable? When they start to look like laser pointers... ok, I'm kidding, but you know what I mean. For normal use, I am much happier with my L4 or TW4 than my E2E, because of the wide even light field. They still have a spot, but not as intense. And I think a lot of people are starting to like it that way.

That said, when something smaller and more practical in a newer brighter LED becomes available, I am in! Sign me up on the waiting list!

David <><

Size15's

Flashaholic
They'll just have to come up with a method of making huge amounts of light from a tiny point source that doesn't make huge amounts of heat.

Al

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I used my L4 to check the front yard for storm debris, early this morning, and a quick sweep was all I needed. This is not a tiny front yard, either. No debris, but the L4 is perfect for this sort of thing.

Al, That is the holy grail of LED technology. Particularly pumping out alot of lumens at very little draw from batteries.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I carry camera bags that can pass as small purses at a quick glance....over my shoulder and I don't really get weird looks"

Try just about any of the bags from Eagle Creek for Manly Shoulder Bags: http://www.eaglecreek.com/pouches_waistpacks.html

I carry my EDC in an Exit Pouch
40113_s.jpg
SFA2ZIPR.JPG

An E2e would fit better, or an ASP Tac-Lite I imagine, or the Impact II body w/Rage head that preceeded the A2. At least the little lanyard groove comes in handy.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I'm surprised to have seen only an oblique reference to run-time. If I understand correctly, an E2e L4 eats two 123s in about an hour, and an E1e w/ L4 (a true EDC Holy Grail IMO) I imagine has less runtime than that (estimate? anyone?) With that kind of runtime, how often are you going to leave it running long enough for the heat to be a problem?