Any good new lights (last 10 months)?

Twinkle-Plank

Newly Enlightened
No matter how hard I try and resist coming back I cant...

So I need a new edc and a light to keep in my car my LD20 is starting to go screwy since a battery leaked inside, anything amazing come out recently and what do you recommend to replace my LD20?

One a side note why was the forums down a month or two back?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
((There was a major server crash, but Greta decided it was better to not go in the details and not blame anyone. She then upgraded to this new version and had a lot of work to do to to recuperate posts from the latest 6 months or so (over 10,000 posts). We all had to hang around the marketplace for a while, but in the end this forum version seems much better.))

What you've been missing?:
Nitecore Infilux series : a real dimmer ring and my favorite new toy by far! Normally I would say replace your LD20 with another LD20 or even a PD20 or 30, but I just love my IFE2 and even the 2XAA version will blow your LD20 away.

Did you try cleaning everything? I mean everything, even take the retainer ring out and clean everything in there too, even on the switch itself. My guess is something could have leaked into the switch area.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary, ultimate EDC, made even better.

Armytek is a newer and have some very nice designs. they only have 1 light available now, but have also been working on an EDC light.

you can try "detoxit" on your LD20, it might help clean the contacts.

I would suggest not using alkalines, in your LD20 if youre going to leave it in your car.
energizer lithiums costs alittle more, but will give you much better runtimes. more importantly, the odds of them leaking is much much lower.

Moka

Enlightened
The JetBeam RRT-0 is one I'd recommend... Any of the 4sevens Quark series of lights'd be a good replacement for an LD20...
I'm sure you'll find something... Have fun looking...

Track Terror

Newly Enlightened
I think a couple of the posts above illustrate what is the best new direction in flashlights. No longer will you need to study an owners manual on how to get the most out of your light. No more constant cycling through different levels or useless modes to get the exact amount of light you need.

We now have excellent lights that you can click on and off with one button and have infinite control of the desired amount of light all with one hand.

For me this type of UI is the only way to go.

Twinkle-Plank

Newly Enlightened
Good lights should last at least 10 months, lol
I'll admit I got a good laugh out of that.

Should I get a Surfire G2X Pro for the car while the AUD is high?
I'm kinda leaning towards a IEF1 I love the adjustable brightness, since I found the LD20 a bit to big to carry all the time, anyone have any comments about the qualiy of nitecore products?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one Nitecore so far (for less than 10 months :laughing:), but I'm very VERY pleased with it. I'm used to Fenix and never had a failure and I would say Nitecore is right on par with that level of quality. I know a lot of people here really like Nitecore, that's why I had to own at least one.

I personally find a 2XAA light too long for EDC, 1XCR/RCR123 seems to hit the right spot for me.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally a pocket sized mega thrower - my favorite new light in 2011 is the Quark 123x2 Turbo X. This is the smallest throwy type light I've ever seen, and really very bright for its size. Has the XM-L LED in it, 450 lumens on two CR123's or two RCR123's or one 17670 Li-ion rechargeable. Has somewhat of a large head, but small body. Can lego with the other quarks.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll recommend one of the fine single AA lights available such as the Zebralight SC51 or the NiteCore D11.2.

Geoff

Samy

Enlightened
Take a look at Klarus. I've had a Klarus ST20 (2xAA) for a few months as my EDC and it's superb. I will probably get the ST10 (1xAA) because i'm so impressed with the ST20.

cheers

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
I normally dont use alkalines but it was a blackout and all I had left were a box of alkalines.

If a battery has leaked then it's down to the manufacturer to fix the damage caused or replace the damaged item. Assuming it was a known brand that leaked I'd get in touch with the manufacturer and ask them to fix the problem. I just had an AA leak in a very expensive flashgun and the manufacturer replaced it.

HTH

Dave

Martin van der Poel

Newly Enlightened
Hi this is my first post, I hope I am in the right spot.

I am looking at buying a more powerful torch than the small AA powered one I currently have, I found this one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/1400LM-Zoom-CRE...0605001?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1e63a26149.
This one uses a Cree XM-L T6 emitter and two 18650 li-iron batteries, has anyone any experience with this unit.
Questions I have are:
1) does the torch cut out when the batteries are nearly flat, as Li-iron don't like to be discharged fully.
2) I don't believe the 1400 lumen's claim, but the emitter should be able to do something like 800 with the batteries used.
3) what is the lowest power setting, is it low enough to get some light with a very long operating time or is it just a medium setting that still uses a lot of power (flat batteries before you know it.
4) When left on high, whatever high is, how long before it reduces the light output and by how much does it go down.

I think this is enough asking for the first time.
Regards,
Martin

cistallus

Enlightened
Martin, I don't think you will get a detailed response on that particular light.

You should consider a well-known brand-name XM-L light instead. See the Reviews forum here. It may cost a bit more but you will get a known quality level and be able to see reviews and get details and discuss in the forums with other owners.

If you still want to ask about that light, it is better to start your own thread instead of jumping into the middle of this one with a different topic.

And by the way, :welcome:

AaronG

Enlightened
Hi this is my first post, I hope I am in the right spot.

I am looking at buying a more powerful torch than the small AA powered one I currently have, I found this one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/1400LM-Zoom-CRE...0605001?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1e63a26149.
This one uses a Cree XM-L T6 emitter and two 18650 li-iron batteries, has anyone any experience with this unit.
Questions I have are:
1) does the torch cut out when the batteries are nearly flat, as Li-iron don't like to be discharged fully.
2) I don't believe the 1400 lumen's claim, but the emitter should be able to do something like 800 with the batteries used.
3) what is the lowest power setting, is it low enough to get some light with a very long operating time or is it just a medium setting that still uses a lot of power (flat batteries before you know it.
4) When left on high, whatever high is, how long before it reduces the light output and by how much does it go down.

I think this is enough asking for the first time.
Regards,
Martin

I would seriously doubt the safety on an item like that. It's one thing to buy a cheap light that might die one you, but no name brand 18650 cells and charger is just asking for serious problems.

aimxplode

Enlightened
The JetBeam RRT-0 is one I'd recommend... Any of the 4sevens Quark series of lights'd be a good replacement for an LD20...
I'm sure you'll find something... Have fun looking...

Another +1 for the Jetbeam RRT-0. They have the capability of using both CR123a and AA's. It has a variable output ring that goes from 0.03 lumen to 260 lumen.