Coast HP17 3 D-Cell 500 Lumen Cree XM-L Flashlight (is this a New Led Lenser ? )

utlgoa

Enlightened
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Here's some information......[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]With over 500 lumens of focusable light and an effective range of over 900 meters, the HP17 flashlight is essential for professionals and anyone who requires a lot of task lighting. Coast's Pure Beam ™ Focusing Optic System with Fingertip Speed Focus Control™ provides superior beam consistency from spot to flood, with no dark rings typically associated with focusing flashlights. And you can lock the beam focus in any position you want with our Beam Lock™ System.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In production. Specifications are estimates based on prototype tests and will be updated to ANSI/FL1 standards as soon as laboratory testing is complete.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]550 lumen output[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]8 hour runtime[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]997 meter beam distance[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Anti-roll lanyard ring[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Front switch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]High, low, strobe output modes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]13 inch length[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE][/FONT]

HP17.jpg

Last edited:

Lanque

Newly Enlightened
Interesting... Looks like an upgraded P17.

Now if only it can take NiMH cells, has constant brightness, and was harder driven (if it is indeed an XML led) ...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aspheric lenses cause a brightness loss. If that's 550 lumens out the front, it'd be 900+emitter lumens.
This maybe running at 3 amps, but the distantnce it's claiming I think it would need a larger lens or a smaller die emitter

fyrstormer

Banned
How does Coast/LED Lenser get away with making such outrageous claims? Yes, aspheric lenses are great for throwing light a long distance, but no production-model handheld flashlight can throw a beam a full kilometer and actually be useful. Remember, the light has to actually travel TWO kilometers -- 1km to the target, and 1km back to your eyes -- in order to be useful. Just because it triggers a light meter 1km away doesn't mean you'll be able to see anything, especially after reflective losses and atmospheric diffraction take their toll.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does Coast/LED Lenser get away with making such outrageous claims? Yes, aspheric lenses are great for throwing light a long distance, but no production-model handheld flashlight can throw a beam a full kilometer and actually be useful. Remember, the light has to actually travel TWO kilometers -- 1km to the target, and 1km back to your eyes -- in order to be useful. Just because it triggers a light meter 1km away doesn't mean you'll be able to see anything, especially after reflective losses and atmospheric diffraction take their toll.

I agree, there distance claims are exaggerated, your probably right about the light meters

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the Coast LED Lensers use Aspheric lens? I thought or hoped it was a Optic/Aspheric patented something...

I agree with all of you though. If its an Aspheric you loose 40~50% of the OTF lumens but gain quite a bit of throw. Maybe they put a reflective street sign 997M away and it looked like it hit the target so they called it a day and said it reaches. The XM-L is a big die compared to the XR-E so, I was thinking a bigger head would be used to account for this.

bigC

fyrstormer

Banned
So, the Coast LED Lensers use Aspheric lens? I thought or hoped it was a Optic/Aspheric patented something...

I agree with all of you though. If its an Aspheric you loose 40~50% of the OTF lumens but gain quite a bit of throw. Maybe they put a reflective street sign 997M away and it looked like it hit the target so they called it a day and said it reaches. The XM-L is a big die compared to the XR-E so, I was thinking a bigger head would be used to account for this.

bigC
The size=throw rule doesn't apply to aspheric lenses -- for aspherics, size=brightness, because more of the light is captured and redirected instead of lost against the inner walls of the emitter chamber. Any aspheric could be focused to throw an emitter image to the Moon, if its position could be adjusted finely enough; the size of the emitter image is primarily dependent on the size of the emitter die itself, though the distance to the aspheric when focused to infinity is also a factor.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
quoted from the coast website: "As of June 1, 2011 COAST is no longer a distributor of LED Lenser Products. This category contains a list of LED Lenser items we still have in stock. COAST is in no way affiliated whith LED Lenser, Zweibrueder or Leatherman Tool Co."

so I wonder if coast will upgrade the x21 with their own version then or if they had complaints from the real Led Lenser

jupello

Enlightened
Led lensers have not used aspheric lenses for a long time now.. they use optic system that collects light even from the sides of the emitter, so the size of the optic is not really that relevant. You guys should look into it.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
You know, if they could put this light out for $40 or so at your Lowe's or Home Depot, we could really be looking at a game changer in the flashlight world.

Now, if you need to order it online and pay $150, then it'll just be another light.

John

utlgoa

Enlightened
quoted from the coast website: "As of June 1, 2011 COAST is no longer a distributor of LED Lenser Products. This category contains a list of LED Lenser items we still have in stock. COAST is in no way affiliated whith LED Lenser, Zweibrueder or Leatherman Tool Co."

so I wonder if coast will upgrade the x21 with their own version then or if they had complaints from the real Led Lenser

They did......and it's called the HP21.

I'm hoping that Coast upgraded the LED's to Cree XPG's.

Should be around 1750 Lumen.

Last edited:

SolemnSight

Banned
an exciting that coast has come to build there own flashlight company (in itself)
-it is clear cut to think that it was good in my opinion:) That -the first thread on this new direction and threshold for this company starts in reviewing the plan of a new 3d light, just as they will have other lights that "build" off the past...and the future really does go well with their proven endeavor...i'm flashlight freak. kinda....so
i first got the v2 1.25 watt light back in the 2005 and was really impressed.. thought it was really cool
they have definitely come to bring something newto the table...i know and like the benefits of their focusing system and bringing in new led technology (xp-gs) proves they will do better /well with keeping up with these days (something led lenser hasn't done, but maybe they are -just wating for the led class after the xm-l or later to update)
it is obvious that coast will not incorporate the abundance of newer features , that of LL, but theyare doingtheir own, and they are/will be cheaper:)
! so , this is cool

Last edited:

utlgoa

Enlightened
Lumen output increased to 615 ANSI

http://www.coastportland.com/hp17-led-flashlight.htm

[SIZE=-1]Here's some information......[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]With over 500 lumens of focusable light and an effective range of over 900 meters, the HP17 flashlight is essential for professionals and anyone who requires a lot of task lighting. Coast's Pure Beam ™ Focusing Optic System with Fingertip Speed Focus Control™ provides superior beam consistency from spot to flood, with no dark rings typically associated with focusing flashlights. And you can lock the beam focus in any position you want with our Beam Lock™ System.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]In production. Specifications are estimates based on prototype tests and will be updated to ANSI/FL1 standards as soon as laboratory testing is complete.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]550 lumen output[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]8 hour runtime[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]997 meter beam distance[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Anti-roll lanyard ring[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Front switch[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]High, low, strobe output modes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]13 inch length[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE]
HP17.jpg

utlgoa

Enlightened
Updated information......

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.

• Light output: High - 615 lumens; Low - 64 lumens
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Runtime: High - 15 hours 15 minutes; Low - 51 hours 15 minutes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 269 meters (882 ft); Low - 47 meters (154 ft)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]High, strobe, and low output modes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Impact and water resistant[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1.95 lbs (including batteries); 13.12 inch length[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.53 inches; Bezel - 2.12 inches[/SIZE][/FONT]

Iaincleland

Newly Enlightened
They did......and it's called the HP21.

I'm hoping that Coast upgraded the LED's to Cree XPG's.

Should be around 1750 Lumen.

Hi,

Very new to flashlights, ca you tell me the difference between the Coast HP21 and the Led Lensor X21?
I live in the UK and have ordered the HP21 from OpticsPlanet.com but they have old me they are out of stock and won't expect them back in for another 3-4 weeks.
The X21 is readily available here in the UK so I am tempted to get it, but s you have stated it looks like coast have bettered it with their HP21?

Thanks.

utlgoa

Enlightened
When compared to the Led Lenser x21, the Coast HP21 is Brighter, Cheaper, has more features and if I'm correct.....regulated ("1350 lumens for two hours") according to recent advertisements.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Just got my Coast HP17 yesterday and used it last night........much better than the Led Lenser P17.

Still operates on 3 D Cell batteries

Reminds me of the Olight SR90, not as bright but has a defined hotspot with a lot of spill when in " spotlight mode"

When in
flood mode it reminds me of the trustfire xml 1600 aspheric, only the HP17 covers more area.

Worth the $109.00 I pain for it