New guy looking first flashlight

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Looking at olight m20s vs jetbeam rrt2 ? around $100 what you think about these lights ? anything better for the price. thanks

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy kahuna2793 and welcome to CPF,
There are LOTS of lights in the $100 price range, so it will be helpful if you give us a bit more information about your intended use for the light.

My main piece of advice is don't be in a hurry. Spend a few weeks reading as much as you can here on CPF and some of the other flashlight review sites, and pretty soon you'll begin to get a good idea of which light will fit your needs best.

Your first stop should be the CPF welcome mat:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277224-The-Welcome-Mat-a-FAQ

CPF has an excellent review area, but here are some others as well:
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html

And finally, here is a great resource to learn about rechargeable batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Have fun!

Hondakilla98

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the research. I recently jumped into high end lights by purchasing 3 ld10 r5's for myself and two bouncers I work with. Now I wish I'd done some more research and gotten a light that would run on 14500 cells. So now I'm doing the research I shouldve done in the first place. Good luck with your selection. Also, if you want help picking a light. You should list what you will use it for, and what it has to have or do.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the research. I recently jumped into high end lights by purchasing 3 ld10 r5's for myself and two bouncers I work with. Now I wish I'd done some more research and gotten a light that would run on 14500 cells. So now I'm doing the research I shouldve done in the first place. Good luck with your selection. Also, if you want help picking a light. You should list what you will use it for, and what it has to have or do.

FYI, my LD10 R4 runs on a 14500 but only has high mode until the voltage of the cell drops.

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking best overall light brightness and throw. not so much flood. I really like the looks of these two lights any pros and cons for the 2 light.
THANKS for all info guys

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Jetbeam III M R5 355 lumen version, and I read they are coming out with the XML version soon which is over 400+ lumens.
The 355 lumen version has a very tight hot spot with decent spill. I always hesitated buying the Jetbeam II M, but once I got it I found it very versatile by programming light levels you need, and the ability to use 18650, CR123, RCR123 batteries. I don't own the RRT-2, but I have the RRT-0, and it is great to operate using the ring control which I would consider either light.
Anyone input on olight m20s or jetbeam rrt2 or jetbeam jet lll M ?

kahuna2793

Newly Enlightened
Flashkat
Wow 400+ lumens. thanks for the info. you live in Anaheim CA. ? Do you buy local or online ? I live Riverside i would like to get my hands on some lights before i buy. The only place around here sell fenix.

Groundhog

Newly Enlightened
I have a Zebralight (H51) and I'm not sure a ZL is what OP is after. They are nice lights, VERY bright and light weight for the money. I don't consider them particularly strong or 'tactical' and OP's listed choices seem to have a particular look to them (at least the original 2 listed). For a first light, that can be an important factor.

I'm sort of new to the LED light world myself, so others are much more informed. Love my ZL for biking, night reading and many other uses. Nice UI (except the 6 double click thing).

I'd go with the JetBeam rrt2 of the choices OP listed. Definitely take some time and do your research. From what you listed I would guess you want some quality and a little style instead of the best bargain.

Battery choice is a pretty important factor for me. I'm not real interested in lights that stray from the AAA-D NiMH format. Lights that offer AA + additional battery options are a big plus in my decisions (like my NiteCore DI). Are you currently locked into a particular battery option? Will you be using rechargeables and do you currently own batteries and a charger?

How often will you use this light and for what purpose? If you want a tactical light for EDC or mounting on a weapon your choices could be very different than somebody who wants an emergency flashlight when the power is out.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy online only. I have the Zebralight SC600 on order waiting to be shipped, so I will let you know how that light is when it arrives. The Zebralight only takes 18650 batteries, so I am not sure if you would want it, but it does 750 lumens for the 1st 5 minutes then drops to 500 lumens.
Flashkat
Wow 400+ lumens. thanks for the info. you live in Anaheim CA. ? Do you buy local or online ? I live Riverside i would like to get my hands on some lights before i buy. The only place around here sell fenix.