Help me find a tan torch

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I'm a little new to this forum, but not totally out of the loop on this hobby. Here's my dilemma:

I try to get a knife for each of my lights, and a light for each knife.
To wit:
My EDC is a JETBeam E3S and a Kershaw Shallot.
Dress Carry is a Maratac AAA Stainless and Kershaw Leek.
In my glovebox are a Lumintop TD-15x, SOG Fusion, and SOG PowerPlier.
In my toolbox are a WARN-branded 2-AA Mini-Mag with Luxeon drop-in and clicky switch, and a Benchmade WARN Barrage.
In my portable tool bag are a Fenix LD-01 and Kershaw Salvo.
In my rain shell are a SureFire 6P with Malkoff M61w, and Spyderco Manix2.
In my windbreaker are a (green) Tiablo A7, and Benchmade 940.
In my classic car, I keep a red 3-AA Mini-Mag LED and Kershaw Red Blur.
In my emergency bag are a 3-D Mag with Luxeon LED, and Buck Woodsman.
I keep an EagleTac P20C2MKII in my nightstand with a multitude of homeless slip-joint knives.
That's not it, but it's most of them.
So, back to the issue at hand. For camping and my BOB, I just picked up a Scrapyard War Dog:

TanWarDog-1.jpg
TanWarDog-1.jpg

I'm picking up a piece of custom, natural tan leather to hold it. If anything in my collection deserves a nice torch, this is it.
I can't afford any of the fancy custom Ti stuff out there, but would like something quality. Trouble is, I would like it tan (or sand, or at least grey with a brown tint) to "match." I see a couple Nitrolon SureFires, but for the most part they aren't terribly bright, and don't take too well to the brightest (hottest) Malkoff drop-ins. I saw SelfBuilt's "Chocolate Brown" LumaPower MRV. It's not latest production, and I don't see any brown on their site. I don't have a dedicated thrower, though, so it may do the trick if I could find one.
I'd consider the tan NovaTac Storm, but think something bigger would better complement this purpose. I could build up a decent SolarForce L2, but am not sure about the quality.

So, how about it, can anyone weigh in on my suggestions, or come up with a one on their own?
If you want opinions on any of my gear, or pictures, just let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2 in Sand is what I would do, and buy whatever dropin you want.
Good quality host, but like all hosts I'd buy an extra switch with it.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats a nice looking knife!
Ive been wanting a yellow surefire G2 for the longest, to go with my yellow sypderco H1

I think the solarforce L2P has a "natural" finish option. hard to tell from pics what color it is, but it looks to be somewhere from tan to gray.

HDS Clicky is available with a desert tan cerakote coating.

Surefire G2, and G2ZL also has a tan/desert color. I have a G2ZL in OD green, and really llke it, unfournately, so does my sister, so i had to give it to her.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
HDS torches are now available in Cerakote, including "dark earth" and "desert sage" colors. Great lights, but pricey, about $200+ new.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a tan Solarforce with a Nailbender P60 module of your choice would be a great choice and would be around $70 or $80 or so plus battery and/or charger cost.

They come with a fairly aggressively crenellated bezel but if you don't like that, you can get a flush stainless bezel for another $3 or so.

The Solarforce is more of a tan meets gold meets copper, but for longer runtimes with a bright module, I can't get on board with the polymer G2/G2Z setup.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2-Tan
G2Z-Tan (Probably the best "Looking" pair)
Streamlight Sidewinder
Energizer Tactical models

Just to name a few. I think the G2Z (very awesome, and good combat light), in Tan would go good with this set-up.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. Forgot they came in Sage - would love an HDS Clicky, but it seems a bit pricey for what it is. Although, like the new blade, it's probably worth it for the quality and performance. Hmmm.
I'll track down a G2Z and see how I like it. I love the size & shape of my A7 (just wish the circuit wasn't flaky,) so the G2Z could be right up my alley. If it's bright enough.
It'll be tough to test a SolarForce in advance, but if the SF doesn't pan out, that's probably the way I'll sway.

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Interesting. I did some research on the Fulton's when I saw we still use them in some Army vehicles. It's certainly bigger than I had in mind, but would be a unique addition to my gear. Thanks!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the 'desert sand' coloration from Emissive Energy?
Inforce 9vx & 6vx

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Brass would probably work, but I haven't seen anything from Peak in my price range (~$100), form factor (CR123, larger head than body), and brightness (>~ 200 lumens.) If I'm missing something, please, point it out. I also like the little copper Maratac, but not for this application.

I'm actually quite interested in the Inforce 9vx. Mil-spec, made in USA, and high brightness rating - plus the tan composite body will complement the resiprene handles of my knife very nicely. I've never been an Inova fan, and I've read that the Inforce lights can be a little noisy. Anybody have first-hand experience with the 9VX to shed "light" on its performance, dependability, and quality?