The ZL H51, the new king for me.

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
heading further and further down the flashaholic rabbit hole over the last year... I've purchased several really nice lights looking for that perfect EDC that just seemed to fit my uses. I really like my Thrunite 1C, and was wowed by my Zebra SC51 using eneloops. I've compared my lights to friend's pocket lights too so I've got to tinker with several.

I was still favoring the size and output of my SC51, but once I saw pics of people using the H51 in action with the right angle light, it seemed so much more useful and handy for a 'anytime situation' pocket light. And THEN I saw where someone put a magnet on the tailcap. Simply brilliant. I was sold.

I bought some 3/4" x 1/16" very strong disc magnets, and with a dab or two of epoxy this light is flashaholic pocket perfection for me. I can firmly now say this is the closest I have come to finding the perfect light for my pocket. I was doubtful in thinking that I would like something better than my SC51, well the H51 IS better.

Thanks to all who posted about the H51 in the past with pics and details. I would've never went down this path without your trailblazing! My SC600 is still amazing, my TK41 is still a wonder of the night, but the H51 gets the most use of anything.

zl1.jpg

zl2.jpg

zl3.jpg

zl4.jpg

Last edited:

Tuikku

Enlightened
When I tested these, I was amazed most by the output versus efficiency.
It puts out nearly the same compared some of my other li-ion lights but with an Eneloop. Does not heat up that bad IMO either...
Yet, it feels like it runs ages with a single AA. And Eneloops, they really run ages if you count cycles :)

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
When I first saw that idea of adding the magnet to the tailcap, I thought the same thing- what a great idea. It takes a really useful light and even makes it MORE versatile and useful.

Any online magnet shop will probably have that size, I got mine off ebay. 3/4" x 1/16" fits perfect.

Looks like it is supposed to be there.

How many times have we all had to put down our flashlight so we can use both hands to work on something? Or try to "prop up" our little lights on an angle to shine on our work area? Can be frustrating... The H51 lets you tailstand which puts the illumination source at least a couple of inches above the work surface. That at least is much better than laying a standard light down on its side.

But when you add a magnet, it becomes a really fantastic work light- you can usually find something of ferrous metal near any work area to have the light attach to....

When I show it to people, they think it is part of the light until I mention to them that I added it to the tailcap.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the ZL H51w (neutral white) for trail running in the dark. I loved the way it looked indoors, but once outside I felt it was not bright enough. I recently got the H51 (cool white) version, and really love it. Feel it is almost perfect with great runtimes & output.

carrot

Flashaholic
Best part of having a magnet on your headlamp is if you ever get a steel plate in your head you won't need a headband.

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
...and for the people who complained about accidental activation of the SC51 while in your pocket due to the size and easy pressure swtich button- I did have that happen once while carrying my SC51. Granted a simple 1/4 untwist of the tailcap secures that situation from happening. BUT, not an issue with the H51.

Having the button on "bottom end" of the light while in your pocket makes it very robust to unintended activation.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Having the button on "bottom end" of the light while in your pocket makes it very robust to unintended activation.

My experience differs - my H51w has accidentally gotten turned on in my pocket several times while jogging and twice just walking around. When I go jogging I only need the light on my head some of the time, so I take it off & put it into my pocket. Some of these accidental activations are due to me forgetting to twist the tailcap which is the only solution. I still really really love these lights though, and am looking forward to the new stiffer switch.

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. With the button on the end of the light in my pocket, I don't feel I've come close to activating it accidentally.

For me, the downward facing button in my pocket makes it far less likely for inadvertant powering vs the side button. I've been carrying this light quite a bit now and haven't had it turn on yet. I guess more carry-time will tell the full story for me....

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best part of having a magnet on your headlamp is if you ever get a steel plate in your head you won't need a headband.

LOL !!! I almost spit out my Redseal all over the keyboard.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAARGHHH mine isn't even shipped yet! (2 weeks now) I should have processed my pre-order of the H31R separately!!!!!

I might have one by the time my H51W gets here! :banghead: :crackup:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some danger of having a magnetic light in your pocket erasing the magnetic strip on credit cards?

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
I carry my light in the corner of my front pocket, wallet in back pocket...

But yes, magnets can erase a credit card depending on the field strength. Magnetic money clips, even magnetic closures on women's purses can erase credit cards too in the right situation.

Last edited:

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
It looks like you have the light with a regular lens (not frosted). How do you find it for close up work? I've been debating between which kind to get (H501, H51 floody or throw).

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm beginning to think this one may be my next Zeeb. The old H50 is still going strong, but maybe it's time to retire it for the clicky. I've also used magnets on a few lights (H50, QMini AA, QMini 123, and Maratac AAA) for some time now. It really does increase usefulness.

Geoff

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
I do have the regular version, using eneloops.

If you want a little more flood, you can easily add a bit of scotch tape to the lens.

But I'm quite happy with the light as is. Nice combo of throw and flood for a light this size.

For real up close work, the high setting can be too much. Real nice having a mid setting.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
I love my H51 too. I just bought a SC600 and although I am really impressed with the light the enloops and ability to to clipped to my pants inside the pocket and be recherged very easily (USB) without the use of a multimeter this is still my EDC along side with my Fenix LD15 running a L91.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Does anyone knows how to activate Strobe on H51? tried the instruction on zebralight website but still cant activate strobe.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Does anyone knows how to activate Strobe on H51?
I will try to make this very easy - hopefully it works...

• Once in H2, double click 8 times, turn off.
  • H2 is now set to 4 Hz strobe.
Crossing my fingers, - Jas.

edit: these instructions do not apply to your two purchases of the SC50 referenced here and most recently here.

Last edited: