Father-In-Law Light?????

Racebrewer

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

My 86 year old Father-In-Law's birthday is coming up and he really could use a good light. His vision isn't what it used to be. I'll be supplying Lithium primaries and AA's look good.

So,,,,,,,, looking for recommendations.

Capable of using 2 AA Lithium Energizer's
Simple/easy to use.
Prefer twisty, as he is used to little Maglites. Easy to manipulate with stiff hands.
No strobe, SOS, Morse Code, etc.
Simple/easy to use.
Couple output levels or variable.
Reliable. Nothing really special.

Did I say "Simple/easy to use"?

Thank you,
John

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

A 4Sevens Quark Mini 2-AA .... Lo/Med/Hi Twistie , would be a consideration .

Strobe & SOS is out of the way .... shouldn't be a problem .

Easy to pocket and carry .

~

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix LD15. high/low twisty.

peak LED makes great single mode twisties. you can customize your order too.
narrow/medium/wide beam. brass/alumnium/stainless steel. cool/neutral tint. power lvls from 1-8.
different body styles-keychain carry, lug, plain, smooth.

now peak is using QTC in their lights and it makes their single mode twisties into an infinite brightness twisties.
the tighter you twist, the bright it gets!

i would highly recommend the peak led lights. quality, customer service are very good. only thing is it can take some time if you order directly from them.

Racebrewer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Guys,

I'll start looking at those!

Got a link for Peak?

Just not impressed with the Maglite stuff anymore. Brighter and more features elsewhere.

Much appreciated,
John

mmace1

Enlightened
Fenix E21?

2xAA. No strobe, etc. Only 2 modes - so very simple operation. Fenix quality. Downside: Clicks for on/switching modes though, not twists.

Or as another has said - just the MAG mini LED. It's not a bad light. Certainly a very large upgrade.

I have the Quark mini 2xAA and love it (my fav. light). Unsure for an older person though. I've known people who had trouble (no, I don't understand why) operating my Quark mini to switch between modes. Plus it's three modes, maybe one too many?

joe1512

Enlightened
Why did you choose the 2xAA form factor?

A 1xAA one is a lot more pocketable. The itp A2 uses a single AA and is quite cheap at 20 bucks. It uses a twisty and has 3 levels.

You can upgrade to a 4Sevens or Fenix if desired for an XP-G emitter, but that is less cost effective. The Zebra something51 seems to be really popular for 1xAA.

On the other extreme, the itp A6 Polestar is what I gave my dad and father in law. Its like a full sized 2C maglite. Fits nicely in the hand, good heft, lots of runtime, lots of light with a normal-placement switch instead of tailcap clicky.

Theres also the option of a 1xAAA keychain light. Plenty of light and always available if he still carries his keys around in his pocket. Less runtime obviously but is fine unless he uses it a LOT.

From what you say, I'd stick with a 1xAA.

Racebrewer

Newly Enlightened
Thought about the 1 x AA and decided against it.

Actually because he won't pocket it and 2 x AA will be easier to find and hold on to. It'll be on a shelf, etc.

At least IMHO.

Thanks,
John

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id also suggest getting a Peak light. Try one of the newer QTC lights. They're variabe output: twist tighter for brighter, and loosen to dim/turn off.

I'd give them a call. Their website is horrible, and doesn't explain the options availabe very well.

I'd go 2xAA, QTC head (for variable output, all their other lights are single output, IIRC), in brass (heavy, not dark colored, so easier to see if he sets it down, with a medium/wide optic (you may ant to ask them about beam width for their various optics).

Lighteous

Enlightened
I suggest either a Quark AA-2 or a ThruNite Neutron 2AA. The ThruNite is brighter and floodier because it employs an XM-L LED. EagleTac make an even brighter one in its P20A2 Mk II, but my gut tells me the UI's on the Quark and ThruNite are better suited.

Deal4

Enlightened
I thought someone would have mentioned this light already, but the EagleTac P100A2 is a great two mode light that is very simple to use and is very bright.
Yes, it does have a tail clicky, but to change levels just twist the head.
This is a very good light and everyone that has this light loves it!
My 2 cents

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capable of using 2 AA Lithium Energizer's
Prefer twisty, as he is used to little Maglites. Easy to manipulate with stiff hands.
No strobe, SOS, Morse Code, etc.
Quark MiNi AA2.
MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

The Quark MiNis UI is low - medium - high - low - medium - high - strobe - SOS - beacon 1 - beacon 2. If the light is turned off for 3 seconds or more it reverts to the 1st low on the next turn on. Unless the stiff hands do 13 twists in quick succession, father in law should not see the blinks. Warn him they exist though.

Last edited: