2 x AW IMR 18350s in Thrunite Scorpion V2, Now With Charger Update!

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Scorpion V2 after reading selfbuilt's review. At the same time, I ordered an AW 2900mah IC 18650, 2 Titanium Innovations 2 x CR123 matched sticks and 2 AW IMR 18350s. I figured the 18350s would give the maximum current and brightness. Unfortunately, they were too long and didn't work. Together, the two weren't much longer than the 18650 but the tailcap wouldn't install completely. After considering trying to sell the 18350s, I looked again at the length compared to the 18650. It seemed like the buttons were the problem so I decided to, carefully, file-down the buttons to just long enough to make contact with the cell ahead.
I installed them and bingo! Let there be light! :rock:
I have a turbo head on the way and am looking forward to trying that setup outside in the dark with the 18350s. :devil:

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited:

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
Re: 2 x AW IMR 18350s in Thrunite Scorpion V2

Well, the tops of the filed button contacts were so thin that the spring in the light punched them through. Still worked fine but the front cell would stick on the spring. Fortunately, expended large pistol primers are the right height and nearly the right diameter. A little stretching of what was left of the original buttons and the primers tapped right in. Now, one can hardly tell that the cells have been modded thanks to the nickel-plated primers. Everything still fits and functions fine but without the first cell sticking. I know, cool story bro...
Also, tumbled-clean 9mm cases make handy and free charging spacers for these short cells...

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited:

Fatso

Newly Enlightened

That suck's!! I just order 2x18350's for my Scorpion V2 only to find out it doesn't work?? Will 2x16340's fit properly?
I like the 9mm shell tip. I have those laying all over the place in my garage..

HKJ

Flashaholic

Strange, I had no problem doing a runtime with 2xAW16340 IMR cells, but I will not recommend it, the light does discharge them to much.

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened

Strange, I had no problem doing a runtime with 2xAW16340 IMR cells, but I will not recommend it, the light does discharge them to much.

You are absolutely correct about the 16340s on both accounts.
I have the 18350s mostly just for playing around to get the extra few lumens out of the Scorpion. I don't run it for more than a few minutes without recharging the batteries. For general use, the IC 18650 is the what powers mine.

Thanks,
Lee

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened

Well, things have been working well with the modifications.
Today, I did this:

photobucket-5909-1312413231657.jpg

It may be hard to see the LEDs lit red, but the WF-139 is charging those 18350s. I found pics on the 'net but had to guess where the second screw is. It's behind the sticker on the back.
These are the pics that I used to do the mod. They are not mine.

WF-139Mod2.jpg

WF-139Mod1.jpg

I'm sure most of you know about this but some may not.

Thanks,
Lee

Wavelengths

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Scorpion today. I ordered it with two Ultrafire 18650s and a charger. Works great. The only concern I initially had was the lockout option that seems to require a little bit of force to get into, but seems to be okay. I will be carrying it on duty so I fitted it to Blackhawk flashlight holder. It won't fit head down, but it will, tailcap down, and is nice and snug. I fooled around with it, and there appears to be no chance of an accidental activation. Cheers!

badkarmaiii

Newly Enlightened
Everything is still going strong after a few months.
Showed my Scorpion to a co-worker who is also a firefighter and he's gonna buy one. His only concern is keeping it from getting stolen by his crewmates...

Thanks,
Lee