Fenix LD40 vs Jetbeam PA40

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
So, I have recently got a good deal on my Fenix LD40 with it's super throw, excellent brightness and great run times and couldn't be happier...

Until that is, I happened to come across a youtube vid of the Jetbeam PA40. It looks almost identical to the LD40 and is only a little bit more expensive, but manages to squeeze a lot more light and really impressive runtimes from the same 4x AA batteries. Now I know that the Fenix has the smooth reflector so should out throw the JB's orange peel one, but that's a heck of an output difference.

Anyone have or tried both these lights?

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
I heard the JetBeam has problems with low battery blinking even if batteries are full. I'd stick with the Fenix.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Output difference is because the PA40 uses an XML cool tint emitter while the LD40 uses an XPG R4 with a neutral tint. Since the lights are the same size the Jetbeam will be more of a flood light while the LD40 has pretty good throw. My LD40 has nearly the same throw as many of the single 18650 XPG based throwers.

Chicago X

Enlightened
I heard the JetBeam has problems with low battery blinking even if batteries are full. I'd stick with the Fenix.

Really? This torch has only landed in a few hands so far....who is having problems?

EDIT: I see by your list of lights that you are a Fenix fanboy.....nevermind.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
I know the XML gives more bang for the buck and a neutral tint drops the lumen count a bit, but I really didn't think there would be such a difference.

Now, I am a fan of Fenix lights and i bought the LD40 because I specifically wanted a good AA powered thrower, but when you see 248 lumens for 3h 15min vs 468 for 2h 30 mins, you can't help but wonder if you bought the right light!

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I wish the LD40 had the low low and the grippier body like the PA40. Still dig the XP-G with the SMO reflector on the LD40 though. I've always liked the two button UI as well - I'd rather have that than a low battery indicator.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Really? This torch has only landed in a few hands so far....who is having problems?
In the german forum messerforum.net (englisch Google translation) there was some discussion about that. Some owners of the PA40 reported that even with fresh eneloops the light began to flash after 10 minutes.

EDIT: I see by your list of lights that you are a Fenix fanboy.....nevermind.
Well, where did you find a light of my lights? I'm not sure what you've read, I guess it's old. I do not own more Fenix lights than lights of other brands. Actually I have sold several Fenix lights because I was not happy with them. And at the moment I would not call myself a Fenix fanboy at all! I have to admit though that I do not own any lights by JetBeam.
I just wanted to tell the OP that I heard of problems with the JetBeam PA40. By the way... RRT0... this is not the first time that JetBeam has problems with their early production models. Did you hear of problems with the LD40?

Regards,
Jonas

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
Some owners of the PA40 reported that even with fresh eneloops the light began to flash after 10 minutes.
As far as I could understand from Google Translate's gobbledigook, one owner bragged about his PA40's battery indicator (not flashlight) starting to flash early while on unknown charge status and capacity Eneloops. The rest of the thread is more-less guesstimating the possible cause. PA40 on High puts great stress on batteries and its specs are based on using conditioned 2500mAh quality NiMH's (read: XX series), so what's all the fuss?

Cheers,

Tam

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which model features the latest advancements in tactical polymer technology?

:confused:

(i'm tyring to hold off for zl's 4xAA)

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all fairness to Fenix, the LD40's been out in the market for quite some time now. Jetbeam's PA40 is basically a Fenix LD40 ver. 2.0. It's about time they made a good AA-powered light using the new XML T6 led.

The LD40's had a good run, but it has to accept the inevitable that a newer, brighter, led light will come along.

Now, if you just recently bought a LD40....say it with me.... DOH! hahaha...

Looks like another cash out for this new Jetbeamer... :)

flame2000

Enlightened
I would prefer the UI on the LD40, dual buttons for mode change. Mode changing on PA40 with a single forward clicky might not go down well with everyone. Some may like it, some may not. Basically, in the ON state, you got to turn off the light if you want to change to another mode. This is what I understand based on feedback since I don't own a PA40.

Last edited:

Ian2381

Enlightened
I only own the LD40 and love the light specially the neutral tint which is cooler than most my neutral tint lights. Been using it outdoors and easily beat my p60 XM-L lights. The PA40 seems a good upgrade but both lights has it own pros and cons.
I also don't own any jetbeam and been looking to get one but my eyes is now on the upcoming zebralight Q50.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer the UI on the LD40, dual buttons for mode change. Mode changing on PA40 with a single forward clicky might not go done well with everyone. Some may like it, some may not. Basically, in the ON state, you got to turn off the light if you want to change to another mode. This is what I understand based on feedback since I don't own a PA40.

I'm curious.. how does that work in conjunction with it having mode memory (where it comes on in the same mode as you last had it on)? I'm guessing if the next press is greater than X seconds, then it goes back to wherever you last had it, but if you do it faster then it continues to rotate through the levels. If that's right, does anyone know the minimum duration that triggers mode memory?

One thing I do like about the jetbeam, that you'll probably NEVER see on a Fenix like this, is the lack of flashing modes!

:rock:

tam17

Enlightened
Originally Posted by flame2000
Mode changing on PA40 with a single forward clicky might not go down well with everyone. Some may like it, some may not. Basically, in the ON state, you got to turn off the light if you want to change to another mode.
There are two options for mode change - with flashlight ON or OFF. Check out this video (the UI demo starts at 4m30s). If I understand correctly, memory activates after only 1 sec :confused:

Cheers,

Tam

flame2000

Enlightened
There are two options for mode change - with flashlight ON or OFF. Check out this video (the UI demo starts at 4m30s). If I understand correctly, memory activates after only 1 sec :confused:

Cheers,

Tam

It just the way a forward clicky works. If you use momentary mode too fast (say just to check your key hole), you will change mode accidentally in a multi mode light like the PA40. Basically for a forward clicky, you change modes using the momentary function when the light if in OFF state.

The biggest issue is when the light is turn ON, there is no way to change mode. You have to turn it OFF and ON just to change mode.

flame2000

Enlightened
I'm curious.. how does that work in conjunction with it having mode memory (where it comes on in the same mode as you last had it on)? I'm guessing if the next press is greater than X seconds, then it goes back to wherever you last had it, but if you do it faster then it continues to rotate through the levels. If that's right, does anyone know the minimum duration that triggers mode memory?

One thing I do like about the jetbeam, that you'll probably NEVER see on a Fenix like this, is the lack of flashing modes!

:rock:

I'm guessing once you select a mode, it will lock in after 2~3sec. If you ON & OFF (toggle) fast enough (maybe less than 1sec), it will cycle to the next mode.
I think it works just like those SolarForce drop-in 5 mode light with a forward clicky.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Obviously I'm only going by the demos I've seen on YouTube, but I do like the UI on the LD40. My only complaint (and its not really a complaint) would be that on this size of light, putting the buttons on the end isn't really the ideal option, but that's just a personal preference.

I know some folks really hate the strobe mode, and I kinda see where they are coming from, especially on low or super high output lights where it seems pointless. But on a mid level light, it could come in pretty handy, particularly in countries like here in the UK where we can be arrested for defending ourselves with anything more offensive than sarcasm. No guns, no knives (other than small non locking pen knives), not even a can of mace!! If a bright strobe gives buys me a few seconds to kick my attacker in the love spuds and run away, then I'd definitely rather have it.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
^^ The LD40 has crazy strobe with that tight hotspot. Also, the blinky modes never get in the way as you have to hold down the metal button for a few seconds to get to them (not sure if you already knew that). However, since the access to the strobe is kinda slow, it may not be very useful in a self defense situation.