Looks like I ain't going anywhere....

Walterk

Enlightened
I thought my hard work with light would get me some place, some time elsewhere. It's not:

Hong Kong physicists say they have proved that a single photon obeys Einstein's theory that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light -- demonstrating that outside science fiction, time travel is impossible. Source Physorg.com

Prof Du's study demonstrates that a single photon, the fundamental quanta of light, also obeys the traffic law of the universe just like classical EM waves. Einstein claimed that the speed of light was the traffic law of the universe or in simple language, nothing can travel faster than light.
HKUST's team is the first to experimentally show that optical precursors exist at the single-photon level, and that they are the fastest part of the single-photon wave packet even in a so called 'superluminal' medium.

"The results add to our understanding of how a single photon moves. They also confirm the upper bound on how fast information travels with light," said Prof Du. "By showing that single photons cannot travel faster than the speed of light, our results bring a closure to the debate on the true speed of information carried by a single photon. Our findings will also likely have potential applications by giving scientists a better picture on the transmission of quantum information."

Discovery of superluminal propagation of optical pulses in some specific medium 10 years ago has evoked the world's dream of time travel, but later scientists realized that it is only a visual effect where the superluminal 'group' velocity of many photons could not be used for transmitting any real information. Then people set their hope on single photons because in the strange quantum world nothing seems impossible -- a single photon may be possible to travel faster than the speed limit in the classical world. Because of lack of experimental evidence of single photon velocity, this is also an open debate among physicists. To tackle the problem, Prof Du's team measured the ultimate speed of a single photon with controllable waveforms. The study, which showed that single photons also obey the speed limit c, confirms Einstein's causality; that is, an effect cannot occur before its cause.
HKUST's team used a demonstration which required not only producing single photons, but separating the optical precursor, which is the wave-like propagation at the front of an optical pulse, from the rest of the photon wave packet. To do so, Prof Du's team generated a pair of photons, and then passed one of them through a group of laser-cooled rubidium atoms with an effect called electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT). For the first time, they successfully observed optical precursors of a single photon.
The team found that, as the fastest part of a single photon, the precursor wave front always travels at the speed of light in vacuum. The main wave packet of the single photon travels no faster than the speed of light in vacuum in any dispersive medium, and can be delayed up to 500 nanoseconds in a slow light medium. Even in a superluminal medium where the group velocity (of an optical pulse peak) is faster than the speed of light in vacuum, the main part of the single photon has no possibility to travel faster than its precursor. Source HK University

DM51

Flashaholic
There's a failure here in their grasp of quantum theory. It has been amply demonstrated that a single photon can exist in 2 places at the same time, so Prof Du's argument falls apart.

In any case, Einstein was quite weak on causality. If he'd tried to get away with that kind of BS here, I would probably have banned him for baiting (Rule 4 violation).

The optical precursors are off topic. Prof Du should know better. Do you want to send him a PM, or shall I?

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but I must say...

There's a failure here in their grasp of quantum theory. It has been amply demonstrated that a single photon can exist in 2 places at the same time, so Prof Du's argument falls apart.

In any case, Einstein was quite weak on causality. If he'd tried to get away with that kind of BS here, I would probably have banned him for baiting (Rule 4 violation).

The optical precursors are off topic. Prof Du should know better. Do you want to send him a PM, or shall I?

It also looks like a single post can exist in 2 places at the same time as well...:ohgeez:

*ducks for cover*

bansuri

Enlightened
This "proof" is based on our current knowledge and methods. Time will tell if they are correct.

Or if you like conspiracy theories: "Nope,...nope... Not possible, stop looking, nothing to see here... You might as well just stop all research that is focusing on this cuz it's impossible!"

Meanwhile they are building their first FTL drive.

Last edited:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Hmmm duality? Or is that my toaster?

Should I double post this one too? (possibly gone too cryptic)

cdrake261

Enlightened
Interesting... But you have to wonder to yourself how many time science has proved itself wrong time and time again. Based on current technology, it's impossible but tomorrow... You just simply do not know what tomorrow will bring.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they tried hard enough. I'm a bit of a simpleton, especially when it comes to quantum physics, but I could have sworn that by simply observing a subatomic particle, you change its properties. What if, in a similar manner, when you try to measure or observe a single photon, it changes and drops down to V=C? Kind of like the WB frog (From when WB did cartoons... you know the one: "Hello, my baby, hello my honey...") who would only dance when nobody was looking?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... But you have to wonder to yourself how many time science has proved itself wrong time and time again. Based on current technology, it's impossible but tomorrow... You just simply do not know what tomorrow will bring.
Yeah, for thousands of years science said that no man would ever travel faster than a horse...

beerwax

Enlightened
i would advocate that history of science should be mandatory study if i thought anyone might heed the lessons there. but alas history also learns me otherwise.

woodentsick

Enlightened

Where and how was it proved? Do you have a link to the study?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm actually a flashlight collector from the year 2245, and I've traveled back in time to snatch up some ancient LED lights to resell for a killing in your future. Don't tell anyone! :sssh:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they tried hard enough. I'm a bit of a simpleton, especially when it comes to quantum physics, but I could have sworn that by simply observing a subatomic particle, you change its properties.

Not if the particle is already in the eigenstate of the property you are measuring. ;)

More generally, quantum mechanics is not "anything goes." Certain particles, under certain conditions, have specific limitations on what can or cannot be measured in experiments. It is not wise to dismiss real, published science based upon a popularized "understanding" of what quantum mechanics allows.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The synchronicity property of quantum mechanics (an electron existing in two places at once) does not violate Einstein's speed of light limit (each got where it got within the speed limit). So the finding by the Hong Kong based physicists is quite important.

So much for all the "time paradoxes", which I like many others have enjoyed reading about, thinking about, and watching in movies over the years. I guess the simplest explanation holds, that they don't exist because they can't exist!

cuervoblur

Newly Enlightened
My Uncle Rico bought a sweet time machine on E-Bay He wanted to go back to 1988 and ask the coach to put him in the big game. Because you know he could throw a football over the mountains. It totally didn't work it was a rip-off. He even put the crystal in the right way.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I just figured this out over the weekend: When you have a timeline wherein time travel is introduced/invented, paradoxes mean loops that extinguish themselves, i.e. the guy who goes back and kills his grandfather ceases to exist. This means that anyone within time-travel-exists timeline (which could be a few weeks or a few billion years, so it would be many billions of people or generations more) need only come to the conclusion "we would have been better off without time travel," and that person goes back and kills the inventor/destroys the plans/etc. and then that entire timeline becomes a loop and extinguishes - it only takes that one person, and over a long enough timeline [and we're literally working with timelines] someone will eventually do it. So only the core timeline where time travel is never invented continues.

Therefore the existence of time travel ensures that time travel will never exist.