xml vs sst 50 in same flashlight?

poolman966554

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, i just lost my flashlight, which was a cheapo "ultrafire wf-502b xml t6".. Which claimed 1000 lumen. I know it was prolly more like 350-400 lumen.. But def bright enough for me at work.

Now, i def need another one asap, but as i was looking to order another one, i had noticed there is a sst-50 available in the same light for just a few more $$.

As title states, what difference, if any would be noticeable between the two leds?

The xml was just bright. Shining on a wall from maybe 15 feet, the hotspot was about 3 feet in diameter, not a good thrower considering the reflector it has. Outside at maybe 50 feet it was like a bright flood light.

Would the sst50 be brighter and project light differently than the xml(in same reflector)? would the light heat up faster? or run cooler than an xml? shorter/longer runtime?

I have a few 18650 batteries already, so i would like to stick with them, and a price tag not really exceeding $40

So, the question is, which one would u buy? Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
The SST-50 will be floodier.
There won't be too much of a difference otherwise.
I would pick the cheaper one.

evil_one_1977

Newly Enlightened
Try this one out Link Removed - Norm
I have a Trustfire SST-50 and swapped to led to XML and it was brighter. The XML is brighter in that light because it was way more under driver then the XML.

If I waited I would totally get the 3x XML let I mention.

Last edited by a moderator:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have built an XML and an SST-50 in a Mag host and the beams and brightness are identical. Smaller form factor SST I agree floodier. I would get the XML. Better power consumption and much cheaper!

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I have the ultrafire G2 (SST), and the 502b which I modded with their R5 emitter. I just went outside and compared the two. The SST is floodier, but the 502b with the R5 is the better thrower.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Would the sst50 be brighter and project light differently than the xml(in same reflector)? would the light heat up faster? or run cooler than an xml? shorter/longer runtime?
!
The SST-50 has a larger die size, so will not focus as well as an XM-L in the same setup (with same reflector). In my testing, XM-L T6 emiiters are more efficient than any SST-50 I've seen. Expect slightly greater output and longer runtime with XM-L.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I'm no expert but I built two identical lights driven @ 2.8a. One with an XML and one with an sst50. I get more lumens out of the XML and, as others have stated, much tighter hot spot.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go by what Selfbuilt says above.

SST-50's will only be superior to XM-L's when driven to higher amperages to produce more lumens.
Eg, SST-50's can be driven to 5 amps to produce up to 1500 lumens, versus XM-L's which can only be driven to 3 amps and roughly 1000 lumens, although the XM-L is still more efficient; higher output doesn't necessarily mean greater efficiency, esp in this case.
Do understand that higher amperages means less run time.

An SST-50 at 5 amps will chew up a single 18650 battery very quickly.
Thus, SST-50's are normally only used in flashlights with double 18650's like a Jetbeam M2S, or even triple 18650's like the Jetbeam RRT-3.
I don't think I've ever seen an SST-50 in a single cell CR123, or a single 18650?
We could use an SST-50 with both these batteries, but the run time will be very short...