Question concerning the anodized finish of the BriteStrike EPLI.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Brite Strike EPLI and I'm very pleased with it. The specs in the manual state it is "6N01 - T4 anodized aluminum (also described as mil-spec graphite anodized finish in one of the product descriptions). How does this finish compare with Type II or III HA finishes?
Thanks in advanced for the responses.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a Brite Strike EPLI and I'm very pleased with it. ....How does this finish compare with Type II or III HA finishes?

While I don't know the answer to your question, I'm interested in hearing more about your evaluation of the good looking EPLI pen light.

How is the tint? Is the pushbutton switch a reverse clicky? Does the switch provide momentary action?

Thanks.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I will do a quick review to answer your questions and give my over all opinion on this light. All technical specs on this light are from the manual or website. I will not compare it to the Fenix LD05 since a review was already done. I will say though I prefer the EPLI over the LD05 for looks, size, fit and feel but not for beam profile or tint.
The EPLI uses a Cree-XPC-Q5 LED. The high is 160 lm, low is 10 lms and then the strobe (160 lm). The sequence when reset is H-L-Strobe. I actually prefer UI's that start on high rather than medium or low. On high the beam has a bright, tight and cool hot spot. The beam is ringy with a purplish tint towards the outer edge of the corona when white wall hunting. Very good throw for its size while outdoors.
The UI as I already stated is H - L - Strobe. The switch is a forward clicky covered by a rubber boot. A soft press will give you momentary but if you release and soft press again it cycles through the presets. A full click will lock in the selected brightness. If the light stays on for 3 sec. or more and then turned off, it will turn on on high. If it is turned on and off in less than 3 sec. it will turn on again on the next brightness level.
Other specs are as followed:
- Waterproof (though no rating is given)
- Submersible ( I have submerged it for 15 min. with out incident)
- It can use Alkaline, rechargables or primary lithiums (confirmed from Brite Strike CS)
- Does not look like it has reverse polarity protection. No indent for + anode only.
- The switch and bezel do not look like they are to be disassembled.
- A removable black pocket clip.
- Prismatic glass lens.
- GITD ring between bezel and lens.
- Smooth reflector.
- Stainless steel bezel.
- 5.125 inches in lenght, 9/16 in. diameter bezel but thinner midsection of the body.
It comes in a nice carboard box with 2 alkaline batteries, manual and warranty card.
Again, very pleased with the light. Feels solid for such a thin, compact light. I hope I answered any questions, if not please ask. I already know some will ask for beam shots and pictures. I only have a very basic camera and the last time I tried posting pictures on this forum I had a lot of problems. I'm sure it's me but I had trouble none the less. I will try if requested.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Thank you for posting the EPLI review!

I have a Fenix LD05 and other 2AAA pen lights and was curious about the EPLI. My LD05's beam quality and tint are quite good -- no complaints there. However, the LD05 is somewhat heavy and physically long so it does not fit in all shirt pockets.

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
That's a nice looking light, let me know if they make one in titanium...

flashlight nut

Enlightened
:thanks: Thank you for posting the EPLI review!

I have a Fenix LD05 and other 2AAA pen lights and was curious about the EPLI. My LD05's beam quality and tint are quite good -- no complaints there. However, the LD05 is somewhat heavy and physically long so it does not fit in all shirt pockets.

The EPLI is a 1/2 inch shorter than the LD05 and fits into shirt pockets nicely. I also mis-spoke about having a warranty card. I was comparing the LD05 at the time which does have a warranty card. The EPLI box only contains the instructions.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The EPLI uses a Cree-XPC-Q5 LED. The high is 160 lm, low is 10 lms and then the strobe (160 lm). The sequence when reset is H-L-Strobe.....

I just noticed that Brite Strike changed the specifications of their EPLI penlight to:

Max Output: up to 220 lumens / Lo-110 Lumens
Runtime: Hi-(1.5 Hours) Lo-(8+) Strobe-(2 Hours)

... The design produces a brilliant, 220 lumen color tuned beam that closely approximates natural daylight. The low setting at 110 lumens is perfect for reading a menu in a dark restaurant and the third setting is a dazzling 220 lumen strobe which can distract and disorient an attacker....

It is difficult to believe that 2 AAA batteries could provide 8 hours of runtime at 110 lumens. Perhaps the brightness is reduced substantially after a brief initial period. Too, a level of 110 lumens to read a menu would be too bright for me. :eek: