Hello & Question: ET P20A2 MK II Vs Jetbeam BA20

FrozenSpectre

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now after your reviews provided invaluable to me when purchasing my last Tactical Flashlight, and now after seeing you guys are very helpful and friendly (some forums, not so friendly I have found) decided to sign up.

I'll get straight into the killer of the message. I'm currently looking for a new flashlight. It HAS to be capable of taking AA or AAA batteries, and quite bright (over 150OTF lumens) and since I am from the UK, available in the UK. Looking to spend around £40.

As the title suggests, I have my eyes currently on the ET PA20A2 MKII and the Jetbeam BA20 R5. My question is, in your honest opinions what would you say are the main differences and similarities of these two torches, and whither you think the Jetbeam or the ET is better than the other.

The reason I want a AA style flashlight is due to the fact I do alot of night walking, so what I'm looking for is a torch that can take the AA batteries (cheeper/Rechargeable than CR123) is bright for the non well trodden paths, and a low setting for the easier paths. Also a good amount of throw would be of great help here. I've researched the two until I can no more, and so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I'll admit I'm slightly pulled towards the Eagletac as I already own the T20C2 MKII and must admit I can't fault it, I love it. Furthermore for as silly as this sounds you get a holster with the ET but as far as I'm aware not one with the JB, as sometimes it'll be thrown into my backpack.

Thanks in advance (and apologies for the long post)

FS.

aimxplode

Enlightened
I have a BA20 and I think it's great for my general use. I use it when I barbecue to light up the grill after the sun sets, and all other general household uses. The light gets really greasy from the food, so I just run it under water for half a minute and its good to go. The BA20 is one of the more budget friendly lights, the build quality is high, but not as high as other higher priced lights.

Because of the greater price, I think the Eagletac will have a higher build quality. With that said, I love my BA20 and wouldn't even think of trading it in for something more expensive. It does everything I need it to do flawlessly. It's up to you though, you can't go wrong with either light.

Goodluck and tell us what you decide on!

vickers214

Enlightened
Hi and welcome,

I also have the T20c2 with the r5 and first XM-L (550 lumen) drop ins and it is truely a great light, and I also have the P20c2, P10a2, and Pn20a, I have also had a T100c2 and P100A2 cool and neutral, I like ET a lot!

The p20a2 is nearer £50, but have you thought about the P100a2? or even a Fenix e21? about £30 before CPF discount, and have the R2 Chip that will give you the throw you want on aa power, the R5 on aa's has always dissapointed me for throw and tint, although tint wont be an issue on the ET as they are always pure white,

Just for you to think about

FrozenSpectre

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the replies to both of you.

I have not really looked much into Fenix E21 so I'm away to have a look at that now, so back to looking again as I'd then looked at the PA20C2 along with the PA20A2 and Jetbeam. So much choice which is a good thing. Maybe I'm also biased as I love my T20C2 MKII so much!

I'll also have a look and investigate the P100A2 also.

Many thanks for your input!

Regards

aimxplode

Enlightened
Personally, I wouldn't side with the E21 if you're considering the MKII or BA20. Both of your original options are much brighter than the ~150 lumens on the E21

vickers214

Enlightened
Aimxplode i agree with the out put of the e21 but it is ansi lumens, where as the mk two is an older fashioned at the led on initial start up measurement, and we all know how off target these can be! Having never had an et or jetbeam r5 on aa power, or any other jetbeam for that matter I can't comment as to their performance comparedd to the ones I have seen, but given the quality of both manufacturers and from what you say I would guess they would be better than my experiences,the only reason I suggest the other lights is as the op wanted throw,and unless you juice an r5 with li ion or give it a large reflector you ain't gonna get that, but you wull get a very useful short/mid range beam (ps, I know you already know this and dont want to sound condescending it's for frozenspectors reference)

aimxplode

Enlightened
Aimxplode i agree with the out put of the e21 but it is ansi lumens, where as the mk two is an older fashioned at the led on initial start up measurement, and we all know how off target these can be! Having never had an et or jetbeam r5 on aa power, or any other jetbeam for that matter I can't comment as to their performance comparedd to the ones I have seen, but given the quality of both manufacturers and from what you say I would guess they would be better than my experiences,the only reason I suggest the other lights is as the op wanted throw,and unless you juice an r5 with li ion or give it a large reflector you ain't gonna get that, but you wull get a very useful short/mid range beam (ps, I know you already know this and dont want to sound condescending it's for frozenspectors reference)

Heh, don't worry, in no way did you sound condescending. I must have read the OP too quick, I totally skipped over the part where he specified throw.

In that case, I need to revise my suggestion. The BA20 has an orange peel reflector, but for throw you want something with a smooth reflector, such as vickers' suggestion for the 100a2, or P20A2 MKII.