F.lux - an interesting light spectrum weapon against insomnia...

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a habit of staying up too late on the computer.

I stumbled on this utility called F.lux. It detects your coordinates and adjusts your monitor color temperature at sunset. It can do so instantly, or with a 60 minute "fade".

I'm running my monitor at 6500K (lol, no need to explain to CPF'ers). For the night setting I have it running at 3400K.

I've been doing this for two nights now, and I have to confess it HAS helped me get my butt into bed earlier. I dislike warm tints, but I stuck with it to see if it'd really work - this utility was recommended for insomniacs who spend too many late night hours on the computer...

It'd be interesting to see other CPF members try it (if they too stay up too late on the computer) and hear comments...

Richub

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this. :)

I'll try it for some time to come. I set the night setting to 4500K, the 3400K was way too yellow for me.

Reporting back here in a few days... ;)

Edit:
It's nighttime here now, and that 4500K is definitively a lot easier on my eyes. I think I'll be using this little tool for a long time to come. :)

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone just swapped an XP-G R4 5C1 at 350mA into my monitor. I think I'll keep it for a few days and see how I like it. Very interesting, and a concept I'd never heard of before. Thanks for sharing!

LEDAdd1ct

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Well I bumped my night setting up to 3800K, it was just too "dim" at 3400. It still seems to have the same effect though - it's now 12:30am and I'm off work tomorrow (and was today).

Normally in that circumstance I wouldn't get my first yawn until maybe 2am, but I've already yawned just now. Amazing.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Wow, this is really cool, thanks for sharing!

Just yesterday I was remembering how bad it is to use a computer screen just before sleeping at night, as it keeps you awake and alert because your body is fooled into thinking it's daytime.

This should fix that :D

Woodentsick

carrot

Flashaholic
Been using F.lux for a few years now and I swear by it. It definitely helps me to fall asleep after long computer use and it's also pretty neat to use.