Best non-rechargeable AAA batteries for a LED Lenser P7 ?

Novusordo

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I just got my LED Lenser P7 a gun mount for lamping bunnies at night time.

I would like to stock up on batteries for it, as I like to do with most consumables, but I have two questions first.

1. what are the best AAA batteries to use with the P7. I say "best" as in longest lasting and a good reliable track record.
2. do batteries have a shelf-life at all? I wouldn't like to order a hundred and find in 5-6 years time the last 20 batteries are drained.

Thanks in advance!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Lithiums AAA aka L92.

over 10 year shelf life, longer runtimes than eneloops, or any type of alkalines.

much much lesser chance of leaking, and better temperature tolerances.

i use L91 aka energizer lithium AA all the time, and had 1 that didnt work right, i think the protection circuit was at fault.

batteryjunction sells them, as well as another brand of AAA lithiums that are made in china. ive never tried them, but they do cost less, and are even less expensive if you buy in bulk.

welcome to CPF.

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
The lithium batteries might have the same "problem" as the eneloops: Their internal resistance is too low. Most LED-Lenser models rely on the alkalines' relatively high internal resistance for current regulation. If you put in batteries with lower internal resistance, the LED is simply getting too much current and thus being destroyed. I'm not too sure about the internal resistance of lithium batteries, but as far as I know it is pretty low (which is a big advantage in a flashlight with proper current regulation, but a no-go for Led Lensers).

Novusordo

Newly Enlightened
HAha I was in the process of finding a good deal on a bulk of Energizer Lithium AAA L92 batteries then read Serial Killer's post just above and now I'm hesitant :duh2:

The last thing I want to do is reduce the lifespan of my P7 torch so would using alkaline batteries be better than lithium's?

If so what are the pro's/con's of using alkaline over lithium?

Thanks again guys.

Novusordo

Newly Enlightened
Great review of the P7, very informative and what I needed. Thanks!

Last edited:

qt11

Newly Enlightened
So no eneloops in Led Lenser's ?? I've been using them in mine, however haven't seen any issues.... how long would it typically take for the LED to be damaged?

Cheers
A

The lithium batteries might have the same "problem" as the eneloops: Their internal resistance is too low. Most LED-Lenser models rely on the alkalines' relatively high internal resistance for current regulation. If you put in batteries with lower internal resistance, the LED is simply getting too much current and thus being destroyed. I'm not too sure about the internal resistance of lithium batteries, but as far as I know it is pretty low (which is a big advantage in a flashlight with proper current regulation, but a no-go for Led Lensers).

davyro

Enlightened
I use energizer lithium AAA's in my T7 & they're still going strong after months of heavy use so for me
i'd use them in your P7 as they're basically the same light.