Anyone ever use a Surefire L60 body to make a 1x 17500 host?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sitting at my desk with a L60 body in my hand and thought to myself - that looks like it could take a 17500... put a 16340 in and it looks like there's just enough room for a 17500 to fit... but when I looked around I was unable to find any info about anyone doing just that... I'm sure someone's tried it...?

Shao

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but I had Moddoo cut a 6P to fit 18500. Is that close enough?
3588014180_4f17de9559.jpg

Oh, and now it fits E series heads.
3587203737_2292dc21a7_z.jpg

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.. Well I just jammed a 14500 into it and it will indeed light up a P60... However, it sits a little sideways in the battery tube. I think if I removed the black plastic spacer and replaced it with a thin o-ring, then used a drop in with a short positive spring and a tailcap with a short spring, then I'd be in business... Will report back with my finds... a little surprised no one has tried this... the size of the light is nice... just a bit bigger than a 3P but much shorter than a 6P.... Must buy some unprotected 17500s now... unless someone has one they want to donate! :D

Shao

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 17500 battery will light your 2-cell Surefire. Might not be as bright--but guilt-free lumens! I have 3 of them set up like that. I've not done runtimes, but the batteries last for days when used just once in awhile.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 17500 battery will light your 2-cell Surefire. Might not be as bright--but guilt-free lumens! I have 3 of them set up like that. I've not done runtimes, but the batteries last for days when used just once in awhile.

Really? I thought a 17670 was necessary for a 2-cell Surefire... I don't own any 17500s, but I imagine by the nomenclature that it should be the same length as a AA battery... That's what I'm trying to make out of this L60 body. I'm still patiently waiting on my order from China...

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Success! My unprotected 17500s came in today. I took the L60 tube, carefully pried out the plastic ring in the neck, installed a Shiningbeam Romisen forward click switch into a Gen.1 G2 tailcap (the shorter one), removed the reflector off a custom blue XR-C drop-in that I made and snapped on a 10 degree TIR to which I added an o-ring to make a nice pressure fit in the bezel. I finished it off with a Gen1. G2 bezel which I replaced the Lexan with UCL and the plastic retaining ring with a black TiNi smooth bezel ring. As you can tell, when compared to a Solarforce L2m, it's actually shorter, and would be a fraction smaller if I used the factory plastic retaining ring. I'll probably replace the bezel and tailcap at another time.... but it was a cool little experiment nonetheless... It actually has more thread to grab onto when using a Z59 or modern Z41 with McClicky rather than the Gen.1 G2 tailcap so I'll probably do that later... I may put that Ronac Smoothie on there as well... To take a standard LED P-60 drop in, the neck will have to be bored some (or just narrow your reflector's diameter). Not the most practical setup right now, but I answered my question! :D

IMG_7128_1024x768.jpg

IMG_7131_1024x768.jpg

Last edited: