My new Zebralight H51 already crapped out.

speedsix

Enlightened
Just bought a new H51 because of the reviews online and seemed like the ideal flashlight/headlamp for my needs.

I wanted a 1AA light that would work well with my Eneloops and this was supposed to be designed for them.

I loved the small size, smaller than most 1AAs out there. The brightness on high is impressive. The color was nice and while it is not cheap, it is not that expensive that if I lost it I would have a bad day.

The problem was that it would sometimes go into some sort of ultra low mode after running for a few mins. I am not sure what that is all about but I got it at Going Gear and they let me return it with no hassle. Pays to buy from a good dealer.

Another problem that is more the fault of me not paying attention is how it mounts to the headband. I intended to be able to replace both my normal flashlight and my headlight that I only use sometimes at work. When I need it, it really comes in handy but it is easier to just carry a headband than a whole headlight. Unfortunately the light does not quicky and easily mount to the headband. You have to remove the pocket clip first and then fiddle with two rubber band things to mount the light. It takes way too much time and effort. A simple hard plastic mount that snaps the light in place would be ideal and fast.

I had the light for a few days before I decided that if it is already having problems, I am not messing with it. I hear bad things about the QC of ZL and that is a shame because I really liked the light and was sad to have to give up on it. Couldn't trust it after it left me basically in the dark with just the faintest amount of light. I use my light for work so I can't mess around with nonsense like that. They have to work period.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a real shame - sorry for your difficulty. I think the QC issues are a thing of the past -at least that's what I hear. I have 7 now - and have sold 3 so I have owned 10 total at one time or another - and have yet to have a problem with any of them. Having said that, problems do happen and it's unfortunate that you encountered your problem.

As for the mount, you have a viable idea - maybe Zebralight is reading this!

Acid87

Enlightened
I agree its a shame I only have a couple but have for a while and never had any problems. Lucky you bought it from a good retailer though.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yes, your idea of a plastic mount is great! Something like what is provided now, only in a harder plastic, open at the front. Like if you would cut a segment out of the rings in the present holder, in the front. I'm like run4jc, I hope George is reading this, and can pass it on to the R&D people. I also have several ZL's currently and haven't had any issues with them. (knock on wood). Sorry to hear about your luck, and I hope you decide to give them another go someday. :)

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say jump ship... return it to ZL, get a replacement, sell it in the market, and buy something else... :D

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I'll second your thoughts on the headband. I'd pay for something that could change orientation to aim the light up or down (or the regular flashlight style ZL's). Something like Petzl's headbands.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought a new H51 because of the reviews online and seemed like the ideal flashlight/headlamp for my needs.

I wanted a 1AA light that would work well with my Eneloops and this was supposed to be designed for them.

I loved the small size, smaller than most 1AAs out there. The brightness on high is impressive. The color was nice and while it is not cheap, it is not that expensive that if I lost it I would have a bad day.

The problem was that it would sometimes go into some sort of ultra low mode after running for a few mins. I am not sure what that is all about but I got it at Going Gear and they let me return it with no hassle. Pays to buy from a good dealer.

Another problem that is more the fault of me not paying attention is how it mounts to the headband. I intended to be able to replace both my normal flashlight and my headlight that I only use sometimes at work. When I need it, it really comes in handy but it is easier to just carry a headband than a whole headlight. Unfortunately the light does not quicky and easily mount to the headband. You have to remove the pocket clip first and then fiddle with two rubber band things to mount the light. It takes way too much time and effort. A simple hard plastic mount that snaps the light in place would be ideal and fast.

I had the light for a few days before I decided that if it is already having problems, I am not messing with it. I hear bad things about the QC of ZL and that is a shame because I really liked the light and was sad to have to give up on it. Couldn't trust it after it left me basically in the dark with just the faintest amount of light. I use my light for work so I can't mess around with nonsense like that. They have to work period.

Try cleaning it with deoxit or something like that. According a representative of one the popular vendors here, a majority of lights (from all manufacturers) returned to them just require a cleaning. Yes, Zebralight had some QC issue with the early batches of their H501 lights. The H51 series has much better QC. Mine has been flawless since January of this year. Unfortunately, some people dislike Zebralight for other reasons and ignore the improvements they have made with their newer lights. I hope you are not one of these people. Here is the H51 thread over at the headlamp forum. I don't believe I have found one poster with a defective H51 in that thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?283934-Zebralight-H51

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be a dumb question but did you try a different battery? It sounds like the battery was not fully charged.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
David and Tre are both right. Make sure you've got a fresh cell, and that De-oxit and Nyogel are your friends...

I learned pretty quickly to clean and re-lube all the lights I buy as soon as I get them, and to retire old cells mercilessly instead of trying to milk more cycles out of them.

It's too bad that you're having problems, but a little bit of cleaning goes a long way. I've got three ZL's and every one of them has been bulletproof since the days they came out of the box. My SC50w+ has been my pocket EDC for over a year; it's survived a handful accidental drops onto concrete, a tossing into the dog's dish by my 3 y.o., and even a trip through the washer! (The cargo shorts it was in fared worse than the light!) In short, I agree, the QC issues that ZL has had are in the past. Sure, it's possible you got a bum unit, but try out your replacement, make sure it's clean, yada yada yada, and see what happens.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My eneloops started giving me problems where I thought my Jetbeam was not that bright anymore, then my eneloop was low one day so I put a regular AA battery, and the Jetbeam was bright like it was new.

AaronG

Enlightened
I agree that it sounds like you needed a bit more testing before sending it back. I've been using a H51F for months now and it works great. Hopefully you have better luck with the replacement :shrug:

Danielsan

Enlightened
I only have one ZL, its the model H31 and its not working properly since day one. The low mode starts to flicker, then it goes into ultra low mode and then its completly dark, the other 2 modes work. Since i am in Europe i have to pay the shipping costs and those are half the price ive paid for the light, so i kept the light and got my money back from paypal. So i cant say good things about ZL but i will give the brand another chance with the Q50 in the future.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
I only have one ZL, its the model H31 and its not working properly since day one. The low mode starts to flicker, then it goes into ultra low mode and then its completly dark, the other 2 modes work. Since i am in Europe i have to pay the shipping costs and those are half the price ive paid for the light, so i kept the light and got my money back from paypal. So i cant say good things about ZL but i will give the brand another chance with the Q50 in the future.

Have you tried another battery? a non-rechargeable CR123A maybe?

Danielsan

Enlightened
Have you tried another battery? a non-rechargeable CR123A maybe?
I tried only non rechargeable CR123 batteries, i dont use Li/ion rechargeables. I must admit i tried 3 new sealed CR123 but all from same manufactor panasonic, bought them from amazon, it says "best before 2020" on the blister.

Im no expert but i feel that this light is maybe optimized for Li/ion? The thing is, if i wait 1 day or so, the low mode will appear but flickers and then after 15 sec it goes into a strange ultra low mode before it goes off completely and cant be brought back until i wait another day. So for me it looks like the CR123 has maybe self recharged over night a bit and my ZL H31 wants more then the regular 3.0V to work properly ? but the strange thing is that the high and medium mode works with minor flickering from time to time.

marcis

Newly Enlightened
I think you just got unlucky, or impatient (several people mention fresh cells, and cleaning the contacts, I agree with them, my contacts were a bit dirty when my ZL first arrived). I have an H51F, have had it since its release, and I absolutely LOVE the light. I have dropped it on to cement, I have put it under water on 3 occasions, I swing it in my hands like a lifeguard swings his/her whistle (hope you know what I mean)... I have owned this light for nearly half a year, and it still AMAZES ME to this very day. I only wish the high had longer run times, but that will be solved with ZL next generation of lamps (which I WILL be purchasing). DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS COMPANY, BECAUSE YOU HAD ONE "BAD" EXPERIENCE! Compared to my fenix, and maratac (no longer own the maratac), Zebralight blows them away in every way (in my opinion). I most likely will ONLY be purchasing Zebralights, I like them that much.

speedsix

Enlightened
I did try several different batteries but that was not the problem. I didnt try cleaning the contacts, I figured that since it worked the first day before it started acting up that it was probably clean but who knows.

I don't really have anything against Zebralight. I researched some lights and the H51 seemed like it would be a great light for me. It didn't work out but I would give then another chance because I loved the size and how bright it was. I think I will wait till the next generation though. I did email ZL with my idea for a quick detach headlight mount. It would be great if they included something like that in the next gen lights. I would buy one for sure if they did.

Zendude

Enlightened

Dude, you reversed the charges, kept the light and now you complain about it?!:thumbsdow

To the OP: You should have let GG replace it with another one, then carry a backup until you regain confidence that it's not going to fail. There is no manufacturer that checks every single light. Any light, no matter the price, has the chance of being DOA. That being said, if it happened twice, I wouldn't blame you for steering clear from a particular brand.

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
Dude, you reversed the charges, kept the light and now you complain about it?!:thumbsdow

wth you are talking about? I even said i kept the light and the refund so i couldnt care less! Should i lie and tell everybody that the light was perfect?
I dont know what your problem is, thats the sense of a forum, to tell others your experience with the lights and paypal called me about the problem with the chinese seller and THEY told me that i should keep it.