I traded a brand new 6PD for an old school 6P

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I'm at work so no photos. I will post some when I get home. So my wifes friends boyfriend found out I was a flashlight guy and mentioned to me he had a flashlight he had came up on. I asked him want kind of flashlight he said a "Surefire" I was like which one he said same size as yours (since I always EDC a two cell). So two weeks ago he brought it with him and showed it to me. It was an Original 6P with the Laser Products OG holster in great condition. He saw my face had lit up and knew it was love at first sight. I told him that it was a classic and it was no longer available. I told him it be better to put it away instead of carriyng it. He said if I wanted it to take it and pay him later. Instead of leaving him without a flashlight I offered to just get him a newer 6P in return instead of cash. He told me if I could get him one with "teeth" so I ordered him an Incan. 6P Defender from the Lapolicegear.com closeouts. I also included a SF P60L to be easy on the batteries and for an additional 15 lumens from the stock P60 and since he also gave me the holster I threw in a newer SF nylon holster. I delivered it to him yesterday and he could'nt be happier. We did some wall hunting and I also broke it down to him about boring the light and later adding a high output drop-in and about buying a charger and some rechargable batteries. So I know I was maybe a little generous but was this a good deal? I payed $50 for the 6PD plus shipping and taxes and around $15 for the holster and I believe the P60L has around a $20 value I suppose. Anyways the OG 6P could not have gone to a better home.

Ok I added some cell phone photos. I wanted to take some more pro photos later but wanted to post. I had a OG 6P box already to nestle my newest member. Next to another 6P I have with a KX4 and my 6Z.

OG6P.jpg

OG6Pphoto2.jpg

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened
Seems to me that if you're pleased with the trade then it's a "good deal." I wouldn't beat yourself up thinking you might have got it for less. ;-)

fivebyfive

Enlightened
To each his own. It only matters what you think. Obviously, the OG 6P brings back some memories for you and you can appreciate it. So, YES it was a good deal.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have made that trade!

To get a good kit you have to give a good kit. No big deal. Your thoughtfulness was a nice touch. Remember, what comes around, goes around. Karma will reward you with an awesome score on the Marketplace!

Good job, its people like you that make this place special.

kelmo

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you got a pretty good deal. I would have done the same trade. Congrats on your new 6P!

-Robert

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Thanks guys I know I may have been a little generous, but yes maybe I will be rewarded later maybe next time he'll buy me a few beers and I have scored on some stuff on CPFMP. The guy I traded with is not a flashaholic I wanted him to a least have the LED not that anything is wrong with the stock Incan. but also wanted the batteries to last him a bit longer.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a little piece of flashlight history. Good trade, especially since it's like-new and still has the box and original packaging. Totally worth it, since you can't just buy that off the shelf anywhere.

I would definitely put it on the shelf on display, rather than use it. A new light should be used, but not an old pristine classic. Like the car restorers say, "it's only original once!"

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same original Laser Products version of this light too that I bought about 25 years ago. Awhile ago I put a Malkoff M61 in it running on an AW 17670 1600 mAh and it once again became a favorite well used light after many years sitting in a drawer. It has a "feel in the hand" like no other.

These days I run a Solarforce XM-L drop-in with a forward clickie or S7. With the AW 17670 there is no noticeable difference between it and an 18650. Runtime would be a little less but it is never an issue. There is no need to bore out a classic light like this. If I want the extra capacity of an 18650 I would just swap battery tubes.

Anyway, definitely a good trade! Congratulations!

Xacto

Enlightened
Good deal. Don't worry if you were too generous. Just think what that beauty would have scored in an online auction. I just recently paid 25 Euro for a well worn 3P without dropin etc.
But it too was worth it since it feels great in the hand and the old style tailcap just feels great. The hunt for more OG 3P, 6P lights is on.

Only thing I would have done.... get the exact same setup on LAPG closeout for myself. :-D

Cheers
Thorsten

speedsix

Enlightened
I never considered a flashlight to be a classic. I only consider them to be old. I have a bunch of "classic" lights that I would love to sell to anyone who thought they were worth anything. To me they are outdated and almost worthless since I won't carry an incan light anymore.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never considered a flashlight to be a classic. I only consider them to be old. I have a bunch of "classic" lights that I would love to sell to anyone who thought they were worth anything. To me they are outdated and almost worthless since I won't carry an incan light anymore.

By your standard of "classic" one might consider a 1965 Ford Mustang to be just an "old car".

Wikipedia's definition of CLASSIC puts it well:

"The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality. The word can be an adjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of English literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature and other cultural artifacts. In commerce, products are named 'classic' to denote a long standing popular version or model, to distinguish it from a newer variety."

The original Laser Products Surefire 6P flashlight is a venerated classic because it was a seminal, groundbreaking product that paved the way for every "tactical" flashlight that came after it. I would go so far as to postulate that CPF might not even exist today if that particular flashlight had not been introduced. With the exception of perhaps the MagLite, every other flashlight that came before was in one way or another just another flashlight.

It should also be noted that the 6P is probably the most widely copied and cloned flashlight design ever produced and it spawned the entire P60 drop-in industry we have today.

Last edited: