Benefits (and dangers) of trying lights in person

Tiggercat

Enlightened
I stopped by Going Gear today to check out a new EDC, with the Sunwayman V10R and JetBeam RRT-0 being the major competitors. The JetBeam is very nice, but the smaller size swayed me to the V10R. Then I saw the ZebraLight SC51 - hmmm, for the same price, I could get an SC51 and an Olight i3...but the SC51 was out of stock. Okay, looks like the V10R wins.

What's that Kyle? Well, it's not in the budget, but sure, I'll take a look at the V10R Ti. I had read a comment that the Ti version had better grip because of the machine marks. I took it out, held one in each hand...

Kyle, why did you have to do that? :shakehead (Nap probably called him and told him to tempt me.)

Man, I'm lovin' this Ti!!!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Good choice I love mine, EDC it everyday. No B&M stores near me so I usually jump straight in the deep end to save on buyers remorse. That's how I justify buying the more expensive version, working for me so far :)

Norm

purelite

Enlightened
HaHa!! You lucky dog!! I would love to have a flashlight store like Goinggear near me!!!!!!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be in Atlanta for business in November and was already planning a trip to Going Gear. What scares me the most is that I will be there for 2 weeks and I might be tempted to go by there more than once!

davecroft

Enlightened
I'd love a store near to me too! Save all the hassle of having to send back about 1 light in 3 because of loose threads, faulty UI's, green leds etc. etc. Time the manufacturers sorted their quality control :-(

00Squat

Newly Enlightened
That's awesome, wish I had a store like that nearby, well maybe not. I have a hard enough time resisting temptation just seeing the lights online, I can't imagine how hard it would be to have the light in your hand and then have to put it back. I am still trying to decide between a Fenix ld20 and a Quark aa2, but I'm leaning toward the Fenix.

00Squat

Napalm

Enlightened
Nah wasn't me. There's only one version of the Ti V10A - XP-G cool. There will be soon an XM-L one. Total damage $300 for both.

The Cube on the other hand.... there are 7 versions V1 to V7, each can come with cool, neutral or warm LED, in shiny, beaded or anodized finish in multiple colors, in stainless steel, titanium or aluminum. I guess there are some 100 of them to collect, at $90 each that's $9000. Plus shipping. And tax. Ten grand. Mhhh.

Nap. :devil:

geomun

Newly Enlightened
My dad has a birthday the 1st part of October. I am going to introduce him to a great flashlight from GG. Glad it is on my way home as well.

Last edited:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Glad it is on my way home as well.

That's one of the unknown dangers of Atlanta traffic. I work on the south side and live on the north side. When traffic is bad on the connector, it just makes sense to go the perimeter and drive past Going Gear.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now rotate between my Thrunite Neutron 1C, V10R Ti, and Peak Logan brass with home QTC job as my EDCs. Since I keep one of those little CR123 battery lockers on my keychain, no matter which light I grab for, I'll have a backup primary ready to go if needed. So far I've been very happy with all three lights although I have complaints about two of them: The Thrunite has a tendency to turn on in my pocket, so I have to keep it locked out - and the V10R Ti is just too big for 5th pocket carry, so I only take it out when I have the pocket room to spare. The Peak is just about perfect in my opinion although I do prefer clickies to twisties...

Shao

Tiggercat

Enlightened
I looked at the Neutron 1C, and might pick one up. I have a 2AA Neutral that I really like. (It's more warm than neutral, but I like it.)

I thought the V10R Ti would be too big (I was using a Quark MiNi 123), but I found that it's just a little shorter than my wallet, and just a little thicker. I keep my wallet in a front pocket, so the V10R Ti sits perfectly camouflaged along the edge of my wallet.

immax01

Newly Enlightened
I will be in Atlanta for business in November and was already planning a trip to Going Gear. What scares me the most is that I will be there for 2 weeks and I might be tempted to go by there more than once!

Im in the same situation. Ill be sent down to Atlanta for work sooner or later. I wonder if i can pass off "Going Gear" on my expense report as a restaurant where i had my business-expensed lunch meeting with clients.. hmm probably not

Lord Bear

Enlightened
I stopped by Going Gear today to check out a new EDC, with the Sunwayman V10R and JetBeam RRT-0 being the major competitors. The JetBeam is very nice, but the smaller size swayed me to the V10R. Then I saw the ZebraLight SC51 - hmmm, for the same price, I could get an SC51 and an Olight i3...but the SC51 was out of stock. Okay, looks like the V10R wins.
What's that Kyle? Well, it's not in the budget, but sure, I'll take a look at the V10R Ti. I had read a comment that the Ti version had better grip because of the machine marks. I took it out, held one in each hand...

Kyle, why did you have to do that? :shakehead (Nap probably called him and told him to tempt me.)

Man, I'm lovin' this Ti!!!

You sir are a steely eyed missile man! :D Just the lights! And to be able to focus on three! To not even go over the knives, the packs, the....(drooling right about now). :bow:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
I was tempted by the Maxpedition stuff (they were reorganizing it), but I try to limit my exposure. :shakehead

purelite

Enlightened
HeHeHe I like that. They would have to change the names of the lights also for me to get away with that . Lets see.....

"Try the new SunwayMan V10R Buffalo Wings at Going Gear Cafe today!!!"

It could work

Tiggercat

Enlightened
HeHeHe I like that. They would have to change the names of the lights also for me to get away with that . Lets see.....

"Try the new SunwayMan V10R Buffalo Wings at Going Gear Cafe today!!!"

It could work

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: