Flood light - Thrunite Neutron 2A Neutral white/Zebralight q50

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, at the begginning I was looking for a focusable light like the Led Lenser P14 but the lack of waterproofness (is it correct word? :p) made me think, so since I need a flashlight for photography, urban exploration (that means not open field but interiors) and walking in the darkness I've decided I'll buy a flood light.

I'm looking for an AA flashlight with nice output and build construction and I came up with the Thrunite Neutron 2A Neutral, it is aparently awesome!

Anybody know where can I buy one (shipping to Italy) with a nice diffuser like the transparent Fenix diffuser or even the Fenix one that has the same diameter.

Thank you! :)

PS:just two easy questions: is the Zebralight q50 out? and the thing they write in the zebralights specs, beam type 11° spot, 88° spill, means that has two selectable beam type??

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q50 is not out yet. You can pre-order a few weeks from now which means it is a couple months away. The Q50 specs give you the beam angle of the hotspot and spill in the same beam - it is NOT adjustable.

The Neutron is NOT a well constructed light. See all the "wobbly head" and poor build quality threads:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ron-owners-does-your-light-have-a-wobbly-head
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?250963-Neutron-1A-Head-play-%28wobble%29
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?318386-Xeno-E03-vs-Thrunite-Neutron
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-14500-s-fit-without-issue-in-the-Thrunite-1A
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ns-Bitesize!&p=3702906&viewfull=1#post3702906
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311844-When-a-ThruNight-2C-goes-BAD!!

I have two and the head is wobbly on both to the point where I'm pretty sure I could snap it off. The UI on my new one is not working properly and the beam is the worst of any light I've ever seen.

Here is the story on my new poor quality Neutron here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...quot-Neutron.-Did-Thrunite-change-the-Neutron

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
YMMV, but my Neutron 2AA Neutral is fantastic. The beam is more warm than neutral, but it's a great tint, and smooth like butter. I would say there are QC issues - some owners are thrilled with theirs, while others not so much.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
YMMV, but my Neutron 2AA Neutral is fantastic. The beam is more warm than neutral, but it's a great tint, and smooth like butter. I would say there are QC issues - some owners are thrilled with theirs, while others not so much.

I really like my 2A Neutral (really a warm tint) as well but it seems Thrunite changed the Neutron. Look at the thread I linked to above your post and you will see there is a massive difference.

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, at the begginning I was looking for a focusable light like the Led Lenser P14 but the lack of waterproofness (is it correct word? :p) made me think, so since I need a flashlight for photography, urban exploration (that means not open field but interiors) and walking in the darkness I've decided I'll buy a flood light.

I'm looking for an AA flashlight with nice output and build construction and I came up with the Thrunite Neutron 2A Neutral, it is aparently awesome!

Anybody know where can I buy one (shipping to Italy) with a nice diffuser like the transparent Fenix diffuser or even the Fenix one that has the same diameter.

Thank you! :)

PS:just two easy questions: is the Zebralight q50 out? and the thing they write in the zebralights specs, beam type 11° spot, 88° spill, means that has two selectable beam type??

Like the poster said I think it will be another 2 weeks or so before the pre-order opens. That said it may be a light thats is worth waiting for unless you cannot wait that is :D

Harry999

Enlightened

+1

It does come down to quality control. All the Cool 2AA Neutrons and 1A Neutrons I have are fantastic. In fact I have just ordered another Cool one today so I will now have five. I have had no problems with the Cool models and they are actually nearly all pure white with the one exception being creamy white. Their build quality is on par with the Surefire E2D Led based on some rigorous tests I have run. I trust them to the same level

The only problems I have had are with the two neutral ones I have which have that UI bug where changing mode by twisting the head results in no moonlight mode until you cycle through the modes or switch off. That is not a deal breaker for me because I only really use the moonlight with the cool ones indoors. The neutrals are for outside use where only the head loose modes will be used and normally at the 9 lumen level. However, I tested this and developed a workaround. When twisting the head from tight to loose push the tail cap towards the head as you twist. This seems to keep the circuits engaged so that you find that chances of moonlight not coming on are diminished significantly. I have had no problem in changing on any other mode.

With regards to where to order I think the moderators would prefer that question to be asked in the CPF Marketplace. In fact if you check there you should see authorised dealers who ship internationally.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harry999, please report back on your new Neutron. Mine new one had a different reflector than my older Neutron which made the previously great flood beam horrible in the new model. I also had the "moonlight mode bug" in this new 1A cool tinted Neutron and it had a wobbly head. 3 strikes and your out. I'll never order another one. (see my thread link in my post above to see the the new Neutron reflector).

Harry999

Enlightened
tre,

The supplier I have ordered from in the UK still has stock from the first run so it will still have the original OP reflector. That is the main reason why I am ordering from him now. I did read your thread where you detailed the new 'design' which as far as I am concerned takes away the main joy of this light which is that perfect flood beam. It persuaded me to act now to get another one of the original lights in the cool tint.

I am also ordering the 2AA version because that is the one I have heard has the least problems and is the one on which there have been no reports of wobbly heads. I know the dealer will also check the flashlight before he sends it to me given I have been a customer for so long and so I can be assured it will be the best sample he can find in his stock. It's always nice to have a good relationship with your dealer...

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh. Harry999, your will indeed have the beautiful flood beam if it is from the original run. It is amazing that the Neutron went from my of the best beams to one of the worst. I have no idea why they changed the reflector. Perhaps the factory in China ran out of reflectors and switched them without Thrunite's knowledge?

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, I see. So do you have any suggestion for a replacement for the Neutron 2aa neutral white ? Even 4xAA with more lumens are ok, the important things are the neutral/warm tint and the floody beam.

is the Zebralight q50 4xAA a floody light like (more/less than) the Neutron?

thank you!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys, I see. So do you have any suggestion for a replacement for the Neutron 2aa neutral white ? Even 4xAA with more lumens are ok, the important things are the neutral/warm tint and the floody beam.

is the Zebralight q50 4xAA a floody light like (more/less than) the Neutron?

thank you!

For flood, the Jetbeam PA40 would be a good choice. It uses 4xAA and an XML neutral white emitter that's supposed to have a color temp of 5,000k, which is comparable to sunlight. It does 468 lumens on high, and does not step down in brightness. You can find one online at many places, the going rate is about $70 US. This is a bit of a bigger light though, so pocket carry wouldn't be an option, but the PA40 is supposed to come with a nice holster though.

EDIT: Zebralights are floody lights in general. The Q50 would be a much better choice for pocket carry, and my experience with the new ones is they are very durable and reliable. Originally it was stated they would be releasing the neutral and cool versions at the same time, but that's changed now. Zebralight is very discerning about the tint of the emitters they use, so sometimes that causes them to delay products. In my opinion, it's worth it though. Zebras have the most consistent tints of any brand of light I've ever owned. You might want to consider one of their smaller pocket lights while you wait. The SC51w is an awesome little light; 172 lumens on high on a 1xAA, for about an hour.

Regardless of what ever you end up getting, DO NOT use alkaline batteries unless you have no other option. They have a habit of puking their guts out inside the things you put them in, often ruining that device. Use either Eneloop nickel metal hydride rechargeables, or Energizer Ultimate Lithium disposable batteries. They're the best AA format chemistries around right now for general use.

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the JetBeam PA40 4XAA XM-L light, it can be had in cool and neutral tints.

EDIT: BOwz3r posted just a second before me so +1 for the PA40 :)

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the JetBeam PA40 4XAA XM-L light, it can be had in cool and neutral tints.

EDIT: BOwz3r posted just a second before me so +1 for the PA40 :)

A gentleman of taste and style I see! :D

I don't have a PA40 myself... YET. :D It's high up on my wish list though... :D

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q50 (if it is like the SC600) will be a great flood light. From the pics it looks like the Q50 reflector is nearly the same as the reflector in the SC600. Assuming that is true, it is more floody than the Neutron with a lot more output.

As stated above, the PA40 would be a good choice if a larger light is ok.

While a little less floody than the Neutron, the new 4sevens Quark X 2AA is a great XML light (with more output than the Neutron too). I really like mine. It has a bit more of a hotspot than the Neutron but I'd still call it floody.

Are you looking for a light with no hotspot at all, or just a light with more flood than throw?

If you want massive flood, and a great neutral tint for photography, look at the Zebralight SC51Fw. There will be no hotspot at all. The SC51w will have some hotspot but still good output for a single AA light. The tint is great for photos.

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
The jetbeam PA40 looks nice but a smaller ones would be nicer. A light with no hotspot at all would be great for photography... I think I can wait for news about the Q50 4xAA that seems to be perfect and with an incredible output. Anyway as for now is anybody has a Thrunite Neutron 2A neutral white and wants to sell it, just send me a message! :)

Thank you guys!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just starting to get into larger lights... So far everything I have is either 1xAA, 2xAA, or 1x18650. I should be getting my PA40 around the end of the week, and I'm really looking forward to when the Q50 is available in neutral. I'm willing to wait because ZL has been very good so far about the consistency of their neutral tints. I haven't bought a Quark in over a year because I got disgusted with the extreme and completely random variation in their tints; white, blue, green, yellow... there's absolutely no telling what you're going to get from them anymore, even with their neutrals, which is a shame because they make nice lights. But, that's the reason I've become such a big ZL fan... consistent quality, performance, and tint from their lights. They're on a roll right now, and I'll keep buying. I've got a Q50 in neutral and two SC80's in neutral on my list as soon as they're available. :D