What kind of people are into flashlights?

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
What professions do they normally do, how old are they, are they male or female?, do they have large sums of money? Oh and are any flashaholics bankers or finance people?

varmint

Enlightened
Well I am 64, live in a rural area of Texas and used to raise cattle until this years drought hit, I still have a few as well as horses and working German Shepherd dogs. I use lights every night and early am 7 days a week. Sure not rich here. I am outdoors all day and always make a night check every night with my dog along. So far my 2 favorites are a Olight M20 and a Streamlight Strion LED's. I have an older SF G2 that is not LED but never let me down, it stays in the truck. I am fighting the urge for a 700-800 lumen light but I really don't need it. My EDC is a AAA Streamlight Microstream, I really like it.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 28 and an IT tech. I'm not poor, but certainly not rich. Wife and 2.4 kids, 3 bedroom house, 2 cars. Lineball average in every way :)

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see a pattern.
There are members who use lights as tools. LEOs, military, maintainance, photographers, engineers, mechanics etc.
Survivalists, outdoors types, hunters, fishers.
Urban joggers and guys who need to see what's up on the other side of their farm.
Gadget freaks.
And everyone else.

Age ranges from teens to grandpas.

I do remember someone saying he was a hedge fund manager.
There was a a prominent member who was an attorney, but sadly, I don't see him posting anymore. Some doctors. There used to be rumours of a Hollywood actress too.

As for income, it's pretty diverse. Just look at the Ti collections of some of the members, and see how lively the conversation of budget lights are.
This hobby and interest is for everyone.

Nice topic.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Anyone who lives in a place where it gets DARK.

That's a potential Flashaholic.

:candle:
_

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I grew up outdoors and I'm now in the military. I'm into alot of different hobbies and post regularly on 15ish forums. This is the most diverse forum that I post on. People from all over the world are here and I like that alot. It's nice to see what other folks across the world are into.

I agree with the post above. If it gets dark where you live then you should, at the very least, own one good flashlight. If it doesn't get dark where you live then I feel sorry for you because flashlights are the "shiz" and you are missing out!:twothumbs lovecpf

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Unemployed bum teenager university students who save every bit of allowance and sell other beloved possessions to fund the pursuit of the perfect light. Just like me!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who are into flashlights are generally people who do things. At the most basic level flashlights are tools. The biggest difference between a wrench and a flashlight is that one often needs a flashlight to use the wrench in the dark.

RCM

Enlightened
I prefer a fixed point of light and I like saving money...pulling half dead cells out of the trash and using them at night with a bright LED light, its almost like I am getting light for free! :D plus where I am moving too has a lot of hurricanes (Florida) a blackout will be no problem for me!

sassaquin

Enlightened
Here are my specs. :p
-Middle aged lady and mother of a 24 y/o son.
-Lifelong Massachusetts resident.
-Avid animal lover especially my chihuahua and wild birds.
-Currently disabled by chronic neuropathic pain, but previously manufactured medical implants.
-Tomboy growing up and never lost facination with tools, knives, gadgets and lights.
- Collect small lights (obsessed with Peak LED Solutions)
- Due to my disability, my lights don't get much practical use, so they mostly sit in a display case.
-like most, not even close to being wealthy, but not starving either.
lovecpf

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Retired, but liked flashlights and collected them for years. Mostly a hobby, and fun. Also into shooting, knives, watches, and other EDC wear. Use my flashlights daily, and don't turn on house lights at night to walk around, as I do not like bright lights at night, unless I am spotting.

Bill

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an old thread along the same line.

I'm currently working in truck equipment parts and service. I have been a mechanic, contractor, jack-of-all-trades in the past.
I've always used flashlights since I was young (47 now). I use my EDC every day while repairing abused trucks.

AO JAR

Newly Enlightened
I am 37 years old male and I am an operator at a power plant.

drillbit

Newly Enlightened
I started getting into lights about 10 years back(I'm 45 now), my first led was a CMG Infinity Ultra(still have it and use it). I usually EDC 3 lights. I work in a bar/bowling alley. If somebody at work needs a light, I'm the first one they ask, though I can't imagine why...

beach honda

Enlightened
I'm 30 and pretty dang broke. Sometimes I'm a mechanic. I use lights quite often, as they have become an extension of my hand.
0 wife
0 gf
0 kids
I'm a nomad, travelling from place to place. Plenty of surefires, some titanium, a mcGizmo here and there...and a pistol
All in all, not so bad.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retired. I use flashlights for home/car repairs and have since I was 8 years old (many years ago). As a kid I was always taking something apart and fixing it. We all know that we need flashlights for that. I also use flashlights to play flashlight tag on the ceiling. Some of my creations can toast critters on the fence!