Are you an OFFICER who uses a FLASHLIGHT?

Gianna

Newly Enlightened
Are you an officer?
or do you know anyone in law enforcement or in the military who could help offer some advice?

If so, maybe you can help me understand some of the biggest key points for flashlight use with officers. What are the most important things on a light to an officer (mounted to the weapon and not mounted). Can anyone give me some ideas? Is is size, weight, battery life, circuitry, lumens, name brand, etc.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Are you and OFFICER who uses a FLASHLIGHT?

Welcome to CPF, Gianna :)

We have numerous LE and military members of CPF, and there have been plenty of threads on duty lights.

Near the bottom of this page there is a box called "Similar Threads", and you'll see five threads listed there that could help you.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened

I am no longer working but served 17years, 9 as chief. The technology has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years. But from what I see most departments have just begun to take up the newer lights. Surefires and streamlights have for the past several years been the king of the hill in LE lights. They make good lights but have fallen behind some of the new names in lighting in the past few years. I kept a surefire weapon light on my belt, and had a streamlight stinger in the vehilcle. I still think that a small light on the belt with a large thrower in the car would be a great set up. I would still use the surefire (X300) as a weapon mounteable light on my belt. and use it as my everything light (off the weapon) but would probable have a Fenix TK35 or TK41 or similar light in the vehicle. I just would not have the room for a pair of lights on my belt. If I worked nights and could keep the weapon light mounted and holstered in a level 2 or 3 holster, they did not have any such holsters when I was working. Then I might add a floody XM-L to the belt. Quark Tactical 123X most likely.
I would say the thing I would look for is the ability to light up a room as I walked in or illuminate everyone in a vehicle as I walked up to it, if I were to go back to that line of work. Then I would keep a light with some real throw in the vehicle for searches in fields and dark alleys.
I would also stay away from lights with to many modes, I would want low and high with a twist of the head. and no flashy modes unless they were well hidden. Some agencies may be using strobe lights but we never did and I didn't know of any departemts that used them. that may have changed.
CR123's are great if your departement provides them, if not rechargable eneloop AA or single 18650's might be the way to go batteries are expensive if you have to purchase them out of your own pocket. Hope this helped, good luck be safe. 1*

suzukiltd

Newly Enlightened

I carry on duty a Streamlight TLR-1 weapon mounted light, an Zebralight SC600 on my belt and a Zebralight SC51 in my pocket. I'm happy with all of them but I do wish the SC600 had a little more throw, but its not a deal breaker. I also carried a Firstlight Tomahawk on my belt, also a good light. My back up light is a Stramlight Stinger DS LED, also a good light.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened

Are you an officer?
or do you know anyone in law enforcement or in the military who could help offer some advice?

If so, maybe you can help me understand some of the biggest key points for flashlight use with officers. What are the most important things on a light to an officer (mounted to the weapon and not mounted). Can anyone give me some ideas? Is is size, weight, battery life, circuitry, lumens, name brand, etc.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

While there are many law enforcement officers who are "into" flashlights, there are many more who are not. We can all think of a million uses for a flashlight in a law enforcement setting and for those of us who are "into" the hobby, we could carry upwards of ten lights in the car. For example, here is what I have:

Surefire X300 mounted to S&W M&P in duty belt
Surefire forend lgiht on Dept. Remington custom 870
Surefire 6PX mounted in Elzetta mount on Dept. Colt M4LE
Streamlight PT1L on belt.
Streamlight SL20X with Terralux 600 lumen drop-in in sap pocket or in car up front
Surefire Z2LED in active shooter vest in trunk
Streamlight PT2AA in trauma bag in trunk
When I worked 1800-0200hrs I carried my Quark 1AA tactical (set to turbo/moonlight) in a shirt pocket for reading reports and as a spare. I also carried my Eagletac P20A2 Mk II in a sap pocket. The rechargeable AAs are great!

I know of no other deputy at my station who carries as many lights.

My idea of the perfect belt-mounted (small-size) general purpose LE light would be a 1 or 2xAA that comes with 4 NiMh (eneloop) batteries and a charger that can work in a vehicle or wall socket. It should have two modes activated by a head twist or some other method independent of the tail-cap switch (which should be a tactical clicky). It should have a high mode and a low mode (10lumen or less) but not programmable because most people won't care to change it. It should come with a clip (for pocket carry), nylon flap holster (for duty belt) and kydex tactical holster for quick deployment. It needs to be rugged and durable, reliable, and simple.

Of course, that still leaves the "big" flashlight, which has a whole new set of requirements, and the "dedicated" tactical light which is also a different set of needs. Thankfully, most of us are not limited to one light and can carry many to meet different needs.

AJ4VS

Newly Enlightened

I work the nightshift, so flashlights are very important to me daily. I use a Strion on my dutybelt. I like the size, how bright it is, and the fact that it is rechargeable. I also carry a 2C Maglite in hand during contacts (traffic stops, disabled vechicles, etc..) because I really like the weight and "feel" in hand in the event it goes from flashlight to secondary blunt force tool. I also use this Maglite with an orange wand for traffic control. I must also mention however, the Maglite is on my short list of tools that will hopefully be replaced soon with something more modern. I'm just not sure what yet.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened

I have been a LEO for almost 40 years, about 20 Years of that in special forces, and the last 9 Years I teach at the Police Academy in the Netherlands (specialized in tactical lights).
Thou there will be some differences in uses and laws, in general much will be the same.

I can't give You an inside on weapon lights, there is not much use for that in Holland, but we are specialiced in the best use of flashlights in al those tricky situations a LEO can get himself into. Special trainings in those situations are a part of the training all LEO's have to follow in the Police Academy.

Requirements.
1. Small, lightweight, (Carried on your belt 24/7)
2. simple to use in high stress situations where there is no time to fumble around through all the modes,
3. LEO proof (near undestructable)
4. Rear switch, (clicky)
5. Tailstand,
6. Needs a strobe mode that should work on memory (first klick and its there)
7. High lumens (prefearably above 400) So You can blind an aggressive opponent or use it to search in wider area's
8. Low mode for reading stuff, (but always put your light back in strobe mode for tactical use.)
9. Single 18650 or similar recharchable
10 Has to be carried in a tactical holster so you can take it with 1 hand (preferably NOT Your shouting hand (train with it in Your weak hand so you still have the use of your weapon hand.)

CIMG2571-M.jpg

we work with this and similar
Special build SunwaymanT20C

For the rest, SoCalDep also made some solide advices.

Hope You can do something with it.
Ask if You need more info.
Oh, I forgot , carrie a backup light :)

Last edited:

msap

Newly Enlightened

My highest priority in a light is reliability. I carry Malkoff MD2/M61/high low ring on my gun belt. I also carry a SF L7 on my belt. My pistol light is a SF X300 and I have a SF M2 with a tnvc drop in on my rifle. For LE type work he latest greatest and brightest is not high on my priorities. I want bright enough to get the job done but there is such a thing as too much depending on the use/application. I also don't care for UI that you have to cycle through or strobe functions. Never saw a real benefit to it. Simple is sometimes better when SHTF. YMMV