Need a New Flashlight!

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all! This is my first thread and post here on Candle Power Forums! This forum looks really nice and I think I should be able to pull some useful info off of here. BTW, I am by no means an expert in any way on flashlights. All I really know about them are the better brands that people like. With that out of the way, lets get down to business.

I am in need of a new flashlight. I have been through two Fenix LD20's and let me tell you, those things are a pieces of crap! They both have had the same exact problem; that being the different modes stop working! I'm guessing that the circuit boards in this particular flashlight are just cheap and crap out after about 3 months or something similar to that....I don't know... I do know that when I tried to contact the Fenix customer support though e-mail, I got a reply filled with incorrect grammar that pretty much told me that I was screwed. I ended up taking it to a local gun show and got one of the Fenix vendors to swap it out for a new one. Same thing happened, so now here I am again. When the flashlight worked, I liked everything about the light. I liked the user interface and the flashlight itself felt very well made, but apparently it is just cheap, unreliable garbage. At the moment, I am looking at Surefire for my next flashlight purchase. To be more precise, I am looking at the Surefire 6PX Pro. I hear that Surefire is about the highest quality production flashlight manufacturer around and has excellent customer service to back their products up. That's exactly what I need-a flashlight that I can undoubtedly rely on. I am still open for recommendations though. The Fenix I had did everything I needed it to brightness wise so I really don't need anything brighter, but wouldn't mind having a few more lumens. Also, I want the price to stay under $100 dollars. I really don't need a bunch of useless modes like the Fenix had because I mostly use the lowest and highest settings. I would like to have a stobe mode thrown in, something the Surefire doesn't have, but it is not a necessity because I really never use it.

That's about it. If you have any questions about the thread don't hesitate to ask! All comments are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

SpydieGuy2

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I came across the Olight M20S R5 Warrior and have fallen in love with the looks of it. I was told by someone on Blade Forums to get the regular M20S over the M20S-X because the S has the XP-G LED over the XM-L due to the fact that the XP-G will throw its beam farther despite giving up lumens. Is this true? I like how the S is cheaper than the X, but I am definitely willing to buy the newer flashlight if it is that much better. Also, today is the first time I have even heard of Olight flashlights. Are they a reputable company that I can reply on or just another Fenix?

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. It's unfortunate that you have to report such experiences in your first post. There are many, many lights from which to choose and in no time at all you're going to receive just as many comments and recommendations. In the meantime, browse through CPF consider some of the many alternatives.

Ishango

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. Too bad you had such a bad experience. I don't own the LD20, but I do own a lot of other Fenix lights and use them often (dropped them occassionally) and still have had no problems. Could have come out of a bad batch or something.

I hear a lot of good things about the Surefires, but don't own one yet. Another recommendation is the HDS Clicky, it's built as sturdy as the Surefires and is a great quality, practically bomb-proof flashlight.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
If it's the low modes that don't work, it might be that you're using alkalines or lithium primaries.