LEDCORP Our Best Alum Flashlight

JCW

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Ordered one of LEDCORP flashlights because it was advertised to have a reasonable throw. The functunality of this light is limited in my opinion due to the less than bright qualities of it's LED. It does throw a tight beam but the intensity of the light at 60 to 70 feet isn't anything near the 25 lumens out of my SF Outdoorsman. The halo produced by this light is also dim but would keep you from tripping over something on a moonless night. The size is also bulky for the amount of light you get out of this unit. It is advertised to produce light for, I think advertised, 100 hours. Wouldn't want to carry this around and only get the amount of light it produces. I tried to see how well it produced light in candle mode and it was pitiful.

Not my best investment by a long shot. YMMV

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Dorcy Coolblue LED light, which is basically the same as the LEDCORP light. I sold it because it was too dim for my tastes. It was barely brighter than the Arc AAA for total output.

JCW

Newly Enlightened
Empath has the link to the light I am speaking about. Thank goodness I didn't spend more on it than I did.

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't sound like you want to invest more $$$ but if you like the body you might consider putting an Everled or Ledcorp's Epieon into it. The LED is in a standard PR base. That will give you the throw you want. The Everled gives more throw and the Epieon more side spill.

This light is actually quite good with an LS because the bulb is mounted flush on an aluminum disk which is in turned screwed into the barrel. In my opinion, a better heat sink than the Mag has. And it has a rather unique form factor for an aluminum: short and stout.

The LED that comes out is still useful. It has been specially profiled to give 180 degree light. It works great in a 4-cell area light like a dorcy cannister/lantern to give you a very long-lived emergency candle. It is not bright enough to do anything serious by it but perfect to stick in the bathroom during a power failure.

The cheapest solution, in the interest of at least salvaging your purchase is to drop an ordinary 4-cell krypton bulb into it.

Free

Enlightened
I have one and like the feel of the light but it is so dim compared to recent lights. It was neat back when I bought it probably 5 years ago, boy have things changed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like to put a 5w LS in it, I wonder if that is possible.

Is the Ledcorp Epion a 1w LS?
Anyone know of a 5w LS that would work in this flashlight without too much work (I am not a modder).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Free said:
Is the Ledcorp Epion a 1w LS?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty certain the Epieon is a 1.2 watt LS.
Let me check mine...BRB...yup, it definitely looks like a 1.2 watter.

Free

Enlightened
Does anyone think that a 5w drop in bulb will come out any time soon, or is the chip on it too big?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The chip on the 5-watter isn't necessarily too big, it's the heat produced by the device that needs to be disposed of. There are some modifications available, but no drop-in production units that I'm aware of.
(Note the "that I'm aware of" part. I could be wrong here, but I don't think so.)

Rebus

Enlightened
Go to Dollar General store and
buy a Dorcy 4AA Boss ($3.00).
Put the Ledcorp bulb into it.
You will get more spill and
a more usefull light.

-Rebus

JCW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the options given. The light could also use a two position switch rather than the on/off one they use. No intermittent option.

Free

Enlightened
I sent my "Best Aluminum" to Ledcorp and they are upgrading it to their 1w Luxeon for me. The cost to me was actually less than buying the bulb by itself. Great company! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif