TK41 vs M40a vs S65 AA lights only

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a Hight output, long throw AA lights. I already have an Olight SR51. I am looking for somthing simular to the SR51 lights beam characteristics.

I am leaning towards the TK41.

Umbria

Newly Enlightened
The TK 41 is a relatively decent light considering its price. I am happy with mine now that I fixed the battery carriage rattle issue with a little electrical tape. Be aware however that the SR 51, at least in my opinion - which is based on actual usage in open country rather than tests- so it is only an opinion, seems to be much brighter at longer distances. The tints on mine are similar with the TK being a little less white. I am using primaries in the SR51 and Eneloops in the TK41. Basically, you'll have two similar lights with alternative power sources. Good luck.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I don't have the SR51 but I do have an Olight M3X which is supposed to be very similar to the SR51. I also have a Fenix TK41. The Olight out throws the TK41 but not by very much. The TK41 puts out more spill and usable light. As much as I like the the M3X, if I had to choose between the two I would take the TK41. It's a little heavier and not as comfortable to hold but with all the modes it really covers a lot of different uses. I love that it uses AA batteries.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I have the m40a xml that replaced my old tk40. The m40a is very similar to the tk40 as far as throw and spill. I was looking at the m40a or tk41 and decide on the m40a for the build quality as well as the magnetic ring switch. I was not to fond of the new battery carrier found on the tk41 or the side switch. The tk41 i believe has about 55,000lux while the m40a has around 32,000 lux. So the tk41 will throw farther then the m40a in the end. But i would still highly recommend the m40a and i love the fact that it uses only 4 aa batteries.

CMAG

Enlightened
TK41 a good light for the $$ (I can not compare to the others) good amount of spill, hidden strobe/sos, 240 HR 10LM run time on low. Will also work on 4AA in a pinch.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You turn on a TK41 and stare, amazed at the sheer amount of light being produced by something running on AA's. It's a top light and unless you get a green tint, you won't be disappointed.

Mine is pure, pure white. I also have the TK60 which a creamier tint, but still not bad.

Last edited:

j2k

Newly Enlightened
I've got M40A xml and it is built like a tank. Surprisingly small as well, fits easily into my jacket's or cargo pant's pocket. Pretty hefty thou. No battery rattle, and the emitter is perfectly centered. My copy is on the greenish side unfortunately.

Chidwack

Enlightened
You will probably be very happy with your TK41. After using mine for a few weeks, I am finding I like it more and more all the time. Really puts out a wall of light and has great throw. Hard to believe that it's only using AA NiMh batteries.
One of the things I'm finding is I really like the different modes. Low mode is only listed at 10 lumens but it is surprisingly bright and throws a long way for 10 lumens. It's supposed to run 10 days on low.
Medium is listed at 108 lumens for 27 hours. I am finding this is more than enough light and throw for almost anything I will be using this light for.
High is listed at 335 lumens and 7 hours 15 minutes of burn time. I find this looks brighter and throws quite a bit farther than my Olight M20s R5 which is listed at 340 lumens. On this high setting, this TK41 is on par with my Jetbeam BC40 at 830 lumens as far as the throw goes.
Switch to Turbo and this sucker kicks into overdrive. Not as much throw as my Olight M3X Triton but it's not far behind. My only complaint is that so far I have not found any of my AA NiMh batteries that will give me close to the 2 hour 10 minutes run time when the light is on Turbo mode.
One small concern is the battery holder. I wish it was a little stronger. I don't know if this will be a problem in the long term or not. So far, no problems. I emailed Fenix and asked them if I could buy a spare battery holder 10 days ago. I have not received a reply yet. I guess I will try again.
I do notice a little wiggle of the battery holder inside the battery tube when I move the flashlight quickly but it really doesn't bother me.
Over all, the TK41 is a great light and has more than surpassed my expectations.

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
if you get the chance to buy a spare battery holder please let me know. I always try to get an extra holder just in case, plus it makes changing out batteries a lot easier. I have 2 18650 and one r123 holders for my SR51.