Lumen Rating Question

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I was originally going to put this in this thread as a response to the OP but decided to make a thread of it's own.

The OP states: "I do not believe it is 160 lumens. Comparing it to my Maglight xl50 it appears to only be slightly brighter. otf output is probably some ware around 120 lumens" in reference to the BA10.

http://light-reviews.com/jetbeam_ba10/
They tested there's at 130 Lumens. So he is actually pretty close. This is the seoncd time I read the BA10 not looknig to be as bright as it's rated so I decided to post this.

I emailed light-reviews asking how the lights are tested and that the lights tested for lumens are far below the actual rated output by the manufacturers. I basically asked why since they use "ANSI" standards. I got the response basically saying that reflector/lense/heat loss was taken into account on the testing light-reviews used. I thought that's what the ANSI rating took into account that JetBeam supposedly uses.

EXAMPLE:

Klarus ST20-
Manufacture Rating: 240 "ANSI"
Light-Review actual output: 206

JetBeam BA20-
Manufacture Rating: 270 "ANSI"
Light-Review actual output: 219

Can anyone enlighten my brain? I am looking for friendly opinions on this. What's going on here?

xul

Enlightened
I was originally going to put this in this thread as a response to the OP but decided to make a thread of it's own.

The OP states: "I do not believe it is 160 lumens. Comparing it to my Maglight xl50 it appears to only be slightly brighter. otf output is probably some ware around 120 lumens" in reference to the BA10.

http://light-reviews.com/jetbeam_ba10/
They tested there's at 130 Lumens. So he is actually pretty close. This is the seoncd time I read the BA10 not looknig to be as bright as it's rated so I decided to post this.

I emailed light-reviews asking how the lights are tested and that the lights tested for lumens are far below the actual rated output by the manufacturers. I basically asked why since they use "ANSI" standards. I got the response basically saying that reflector/lense/heat loss was taken into account on the testing light-reviews used. I thought that's what the ANSI rating took into account that JetBeam supposedly uses.

EXAMPLE:

Klarus ST20-
Manufacture Rating: 240 "ANSI"
Light-Review actual output: 206

JetBeam BA20-
Manufacture Rating: 270 "ANSI"
Light-Review actual output: 219

Can anyone enlighten my brain? I am looking for friendly opinions on this. What's going on here?

Maybe ANSI has fallen victim to this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture

Ask them for their statements in an affidavit signed by a company principal. They simply write "I do hereby swear or affirm that. . ." Then they can be charged with perjury if they are found to be lying.

Then watch for an armed drone flying over your house or men in black showing up at your front door with that flashy thing.

In the US at least, Commerce is King. You don't mess with it or question it.

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
That's disconcerting. I guess anyone could just put ANSI now.
My Eagletac P100A2 is 58,800 ANSI Lumens.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a PDF or official ANSI measurement document that describes the measurement protocol.
I few things I have been wondering:
1. Manufacturers could just be saying "ANSI lumens" without any ANSI measurements.
2. Manufacturers could be saying "ANSI lumens" but I don't think they are required to send their light to a lab, they might just follow the "ANSI protocol."
3. Light-review measurements could be wrong or the protocol they are following could be wrong.
4. Variations exist in LEDs.

swan

Banned
the jetbeam ba 20 was tested by selfbuilt at 260 otf lumens and commented that it was one of the brightess xp gs he had tested.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see a PDF or official ANSI measurement document that describes the measurement protocol.
I few things I have been wondering:
1. Manufacturers could just be saying "ANSI lumens" without any ANSI measurements.
2. Manufacturers could be saying "ANSI lumens" but I don't think they are required to send their light to a lab, they might just follow the "ANSI protocol."
3. Light-review measurements could be wrong or the protocol they are following could be wrong.
4. Variations exist in LEDs.

I also wondered this. Hoping the cpf brains clarify this and make us happy.