Got a new Malkoff Wildcat *Pics added*

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Received it today from a fellow forum member. Awesome light. It is a Wildcat V3 with a M3D body "I need a MD4 body" hint hint. The light is flawless. This is my 2nd custom light. My first one is a Varapower Turbo. Waiting for it to get completely dark here then I am going to walk the dog and light up the neighborhood.

Last edited:

geontemt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Got a new Malkoff Wildcat

Do you have some pics? have you tried it outside yet?

CamoNinja

Enlightened

For give my crappy pics. There is no way I can do beam shots. This thing puts out a wall of light. Lights up good to about 100yds. Not able to test any farther yet.
100_2267-Copy-1.jpg

100_2268-1.jpg

100_2281-1.jpg

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast

congrats on your first malkoff. the wildcats are awesome. enjoy my friend. :wave:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats on acquiring an awesome light!
I bought the other one from Ron, and I guess I got the MD4 body that you wanted.
But I paid more!

I took mine out to compare it with my other V1 and V2 Wildcats, and my XPG Hound Dog.
The V3 performs about like the V1 does, except the field of light is a bit wider, and less defined on the edge. It uses the extra lumens to spread out the beam more than the V1, and make it more evenly lit field of view than the V2. The V2 is more traditional beam, in that there is a big hot-spot and then a wide spill area.
Both my V1 and V3 will throw about 150 yards on a dark night. The V2 will throw about 20 yards further because of its hot-spot.
They are all great, it's just that there are some differences, and so that's why I got them all.
It's VERY hard to find a V1 anymore. I haven't seen one on the CPFMP for ages. Everybody is keeping them.

I basically determined that the Wildcat is my light of choice, and I wanted them all. I can't think of any better overall light purchases. The Wildcats really can do it all, because they are floody beams that have enough power to project a good throw. It's like having your cake and eating it too.
If a person needs to get more throw, like 250-300 yards, then that's where the Hound Dog is needed. But I don't often need more than what the Wildcats can do for throw, so the Wildcats are my choice for more uses than I will pick up the Hound Dog to do.

Gene is just so awesome for his designs, and build quality, and reliability, and customer service, that I couldn't see the value in looking at other brands of lights.
And his prices are very competitive for what he offers.
I just think Malkoff is the cream of the crop.

You are going to love that light more and more, the longer you own it.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
"I need a MD4 body" hint hint.

You can still get the MD4 body and switch from Gene for $45. Pretty reasonable if you ask me. Great thing also about Malkoff lights is that they're upgradable in the future when he comes out with new goodies. Lotsa fun.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! Stick with the md3!

Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting one of these without the printing on the head? Production is probably too big now for something like that, not really a custom maker, though I have heard of special requests like single mode versions.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Congrats! Stick with the md3!

Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting one of these without the printing on the head? Production is probably too big now for something like that, not really a custom maker, though I have heard of special requests like single mode versions.

Gene just built me a custom Wildcat, and i askex him if i could have it without the cheesy cursive wildcat lettering.. he said no, that theyre all prepressed... but he suggested i black it out with a sharpie, which i did... it actually looks pretty good. You can still see the logo but it is pretty subtle..

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leon why stick with the md3?

I have 2 other MD3 bodies for my other Malkoffs, and I like the MD3 better than the MD4 myself.
The MD3 is easier to carry, can take a pair of 18500, and makes a nice package.
I wanted an MD4 for the occasions where I needed a lot of runtime off the pair of 18650. But it is longer and less convenient to carry, and I like the MD3 better for general carry purposes.
I will use the MD3 the most, and only use the MD4 when I know that I will need the extra runtime, and deal with the bigger carry size.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene just built me a custom Wildcat, and i askex him if i could have it without the cheesy cursive wildcat lettering.. he said no, that theyre all prepressed... but he suggested i black it out with a sharpie, which i did... it actually looks pretty good. You can still see the logo but it is pretty subtle..

Just a personal taste thing, but I think the lettering looks great on the light.