Maglite 2D LED now with CREE XP-E instead of Rebel. Nice.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I stock up on Maglites for modding, specifically Mag Rebels, every November during Black Friday sales. My once a year purchase cycle explains why I completely missed this change until now - I just got back from Home Depot where BF appears to have come early this year, and I made a discovery...

In case you also missed the public service announcement, the LED version of the most common sized Mag, the 2D, has been changed (for the better, IMO) from Rebel LEDs to XP-E LEDs.

The 2AA has probably gone this way as well, I didn't think to look while I was there. This should come as no surprise, I guess, considering the XL and ML series of Maglites also use CREE brand LEDs. Too bad they didn't go straight for the XP-G in the 2D and 3D, but I guess that would have hurt their upcoming ML line of C-sized, more expensive, LED lights. (I think I read somewhere that the ML150 uses XP-G.)

I haven't done a side by side comparison vs the 2D Rebel, 'cause I never keep these things stock, but my initial impression is that it is an all around improvement (shape & size of hotspot, brightness, throw).

This presents a question though... when us modders refer to the non-LuxIII LED reflectors, do we still call 'em Mag Rebel Reflectors, or do we now have to start calling 'em something else?

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I picked up a 3D LED Mag at my Walmart last night for $17.42, just couldn't resist it at that price. I was very impressed how far this sucker throws! It looks to have a deeper reflector compared to my older LED Mag and a 484 on the LED.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mag 3D does have a pretty impressive throw and peak beam candlepower - even for such an inexpensive light. It is a big improvement over an incandescent model.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Yup the $14.88 HD deal is great you may wish to check this thread

Doh! You know, I searched for "Maglite CREE" before posting and didn't find that thread.

Also, mine rang up at $15.88, not $14.88. Still an awesome deal though. All that Aluminum, American made, 2x Duracell D-Cells included, and a whole lotta light for $16! The wimpy plastic lights and 5mm LED lights on the shelf next to these just looked silly for being in the same price range. It's not often that I can buy American made and also get considerably more bang for my buck. I love stocking up on Maglites for that reason alone. I usually just buy a bunch have around for modding, but these new ones with the XP-E and the batteries included are going to make nice gifts, especially at this price. I have a feeling I'll be going back for more before the deal is over. If only the ML100 were as affordable.

Texas Made

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a 2D at Home Depot today also. It was the newer more powerful LED. However, pay attention to what you are buying because at the store I was at they had both the newer more powerful version as well as the older Rebel one for the same price.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
$14.88 was last week's sale price. $15.88 is the regular holiday seasonal price from what I was told.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news on the 2D! I'll have to look for one. I like my Rebel Mag 2D, but I can see room for improvement in the beam pattern.

Yes, the MiniMag 2AA is already using the Cree XP-E. It has higher output than the Rebel version, and a better range of focus, too.

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up 1 at home depot for $15.88.

I am very impressed. It blows my older Mag with a cheap drop in out of the park.

This thing throws really well. I just compared to Tiablo A10 and it is close.

I think the Mag-Lite is a little warmer on tint too:thumbsup:

I will be back to home depot tomorrow for sure

I really like the direction Mag-Lite is going:)

edpmis02

Enlightened
Don't Maglites dim as the battery drain? Do they still provide full advertised lumens after a few hours of runtime due to battery voltage? My Minimags dim as my Eneloops drop from 1.45 to 1.30. That is why I frequently top them off in the charger. I have two rebel mini mags and Lux3 2AA & 2D lights.

pinecone

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a 2D at Home Depot today also. It was the newer more powerful LED. However, pay attention to what you are buying because at the store I was at they had both the newer more powerful version as well as the older Rebel one for the same price.

How can you tell the difference between old and new one with Cree XP-E. Does it say it on the package??

Any idea of the lumen output of these?

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
How can you tell the difference between old and new one with Cree XP-E. Does it say it on the package??

Any idea of the lumen output of these?
The new one says 134 lumens and 388meters of throw . The older one I believe is 119 lumens and 2?? of throw. The Cree has green around LED. Hope that helps