Not so fancy helmet lights

pushy

Newly Enlightened
helmet light 1.jpg

helmet light 2.jpg

helmet light 3.jpg

helmet light 4.jpg

Shows lights, battery pack, switch and the lens unit of a helmet cam.

Here's a short vid of my lighting,

BrianMc

Enlightened
FYI: Video was private when I tried it. Needs access change to public.

Troutie and one other suggested doing what you have done to two of these zooming flashlights for the helmet and up to four on bars or forks in the Let's Design a Road Front Light Beam or whatever the tread is called. Looking forward to seeing the video.

BrianMc

pushy

Newly Enlightened
FYI: Video was private when I tried it. Needs access change to public.

Troutie and one other suggested doing what you have done to two of these zooming flashlights for the helmet and up to four on bars or forks in the Let's Design a Road Front Light Beam or whatever the tread is called. Looking forward to seeing the video.

BrianMc
Thanks Brian, have fixed the video. The helmet lights are 2 EDI-T T11 from DX cut in half, high beam is a triple XML T6 and running light is this usually on low with with a shroud.

cehowardGS

Newly Enlightened
helmet light 2.jpg

helmet light 4.jpg

Shows lights, battery pack, switch and the lens unit of a helmet cam.

Here's a short vid of my lighting,

That is a sweet setup. I am a newbie, and just starting this commuting, and now it is dark outside when I start. I am going to copy off your helmet rig, and I am going to use a couple of those cheapos off ebay for a start. My commute is about 8 miles in the dark morning.. And believe you me, this light bit is a LEARNING CURVE!!!:)

pushy

Newly Enlightened
That is a sweet setup. I am a newbie, and just starting this commuting, and now it is dark outside when I start. I am going to copy off your helmet rig, and I am going to use a couple of those cheapos off ebay for a start. My commute is about 8 miles in the dark morning.. And believe you me, this light bit is a LEARNING CURVE!!!:)

Tell me about it! I wish I had an ounce of some of the talent that some of the guys here have. Here's what I've got on the bars. Ignore the cameras I was just fooling around comparing an AT-26 against a Contour HD for low light response. The flashlight on the stem is a triple T6 for high beam and thelight on the right under the Knog frog is a MJ 872 and if you're commuting get an Air Zound.
FullyLoaded%203.jpg

cehowardGS

Newly Enlightened
Enter my ELCHEAPO!! ;)

cheapo2.jpg

My wife claims that the $3.00 rear light is brighter than my PB Superflash Turbo!!! WTF!!! ;)

PB Beamer front of helmet, and elcheapo ebay $3.00 rear light. It has 12 flashing LEDS!! I hook it up with zip ties..

BrianMc

Enlightened
WRT video. I did not understand the driver's use of high beams. What's his problem? The brightness of your helmet light was spared from his retinas until he hit his highs. Secondly, your floody main beam doesn't seem high, and does not appear to have an excess of high spill So he had to look right at the light, which everyone knows not to do. You were not as close to him as his near side headlights were to you, and high highs were WAY brighter. Maybe 90% of my traffic is repeat traffic, so educating drivers is part of the deal. It isn't legal to retaliate which makes sense with cars. When we are needing our night vision to avoid injury causing potholes and the light power difference is so great, re-education is appropriate.

Enter my ELCHEAPO!! My wife claims that the $3.00 rear light is brighter than my PB Superflash Turbo!!! WTF!!! ;)

It has the advantage of not being beamy, too. So visible from Mack truck cabs, Miatas and motorists in lanes to either side. My idea to cluster a collection of old blinkies with a common power source looks like it is a good recycling idea as I have them anyway.

BrianMc

Last edited:

pushy

Newly Enlightened
WRT video. I did not understand the driver's use of high beams. What's his problem? The brightness of your helmet light was spared from his retinas until he hit his highs. Secondly, your floody main beam doesn't seem high, and does not appear to have an excess of high spill So he had to look right at the light, which everyone knows not to do. You were not as close to him as his near side headlights were to you, and high highs were WAY brighter. Maybe 90% of my traffic is repeat traffic, so educating drivers is part of the deal. It isn't legal to retaliate which makes sense with cars. When we are needing our night vision to avoid injury causing potholes and the light power difference is so great, re-education is appropriate.
BrianMc

We have in this country an element that find some joy in doing that sort of thing to cyclists including throwing objects from vehicles as they pass, passing really close or screaming some smart alec remark. This usually occurs on a Friday or Saturday night. It dosent happen frequently but it happens and if you ride as much as I do at night you generally expect something especially in the quieter back streets. True what you say about my lights, I had gone past countless cars and pedestrians on MUPs for the last 30 miles and had no issues. I raise and lower my bar light as the situation dictates, you'll notice a slight dip in that light as the car going in my same direction overtakes me to prevent it shining in his mirrors.