New throw king for a non-aspherical 2AA?

Lumenato

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I, like many others I've noticed on this forum, like there 2AA thowy lights. I have read many threads comparing the various offerings from the myriad of brands. From what I've seen, these are (were?) the contenders for top 2AA thrower:

Quark turbo xp-g s2
Dereelight Javelin xp-e r2
Eagletac p100a2 xp-e r2
Fenix E21 xp-e r2
Eagletac p20a2 xr-e r2

According to selfbuilt's table (picture attached) of lux for various 2AA lights, the eagletac p20a2 xr-e r2 is the top at 7700 lux. Apparently, the Dereelight Javelin now comes with a xp-e r4, which is capable of 8500 lux, surpassing by quite a nice margin the p20a2. The 8500 lux figure is taken from the description page of the flashlightconnection website. Does anyone own both or have the new javelin with beamshots? This looks very enticing.

Although I know that the maximum throw potential in a 2AA format will not vary much because of the battery limitations, I still want the throwiest (you guys know how it is!).

Has anyone confirmed that this is the new 2AA throw king? Or are there other contenders that I'm not aware that surpass the the javelin?

2aasummary.gif

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I am kinda over the 2AA thrower but I'll give one last input.
I had the P20A2 Mark1 XR-E R2 and the P100A2 XP-E R2.
The P100A2 out did it but not by much. The one in the chart is the older Q5. In fact most of the "2AA throwers" didn't do too much better then the other and I'd easily recommended a simple fenix E21. Even my Energizer e2 could throw pretty good at the smallest reflector and using an XR-E(they make it in 2 versions XP-E/XR-E)
Owned all the recommdned 2AA throwers and had them side by side to see which one threw better.
The P100A2 is a better choice then the P20A2. It's hard too find a XR-E dropin for the Mark 2 and the P20A2 Mark 1 had a very notorious irritating UI. The P100A2 is smaller, has a cleaner beam, a simple 2 mode.
The Javelin actual lux rating was MUCH lower then advertised as tested by Tre. Had the R3 version also build quality and beam profile was very lacking compared to my P100A2 it went on the marketplace immanently.. Search my threads/threads posted in(they are pretty deep now) in my profile you'll see tons of info on "2AA throwers".
Your new contenders would only be the Javelin with the R4.

For the first time ever, I would recommend to someone(you) using the search function. We went through this so many times before.

Lumenato

Newly Enlightened
I am kinda over the 2AA thrower but I'll give one last input.
I had the P20A2 Mark1 XR-E R2 and the P100A2 XP-E R2.
The P100A2 out did it but not by much. The one in the chart is the older Q5. In fact most of the "2AA throwers" didn't do too much better then the other and I'd easily recommended a simple fenix E21. Even my Energizer e2 could throw pretty good at the smallest reflector and using an XR-E(they make it in 2 versions XP-E/XR-E)
Owned all the recommdned 2AA throwers and had them side by side to see which one threw better.
The P100A2 is a better choice then the P20A2. It's hard too find a XR-E dropin for the Mark 2 and the P20A2 Mark 1 had a very notorious irritating UI. The P100A2 is smaller, has a cleaner beam, a simple 2 mode.
The Javelin actual lux rating was MUCH lower then advertised as tested by Tre. Had the R3 version also build quality and beam profile was very lacking compared to my P100A2 it went on the marketplace immanently.. Search my threads/threads posted in(they are pretty deep now) in my profile you'll see tons of info on "2AA throwers".
Your new contenders would only be the Javelin with the R4.

For the first time ever, I would recommend to someone(you) using the search function. We went through this so many times before.

P100a2 is still a pretty awesome light then. I like. I did actually use the search function, but couldn't find much on this new javelin with the XP-E R4 version hence the post. sorry if it seemed like a repeat or spam... :( just tight on money so want to choose just one new light for a self present.

If tre had tested the R3 version was MUCH lower in lux than advertised, i'm guessing it will be much the same with newer javelin XP-E R4 version. I guess I'll have to either wait until confirmation from some other who may purchase it, or just opt for the p100a2.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
P100a2 is still a pretty awesome light then. I like. I did actually use the search function, but couldn't find much on this new javelin with the XP-E R4 version hence the post. sorry if it seemed like a repeat or spam... :( just tight on money so want to choose just one new light for a self present.

If tre had tested the R3 version was MUCH lower in lux than advertised, i'm guessing it will be much the same with newer javelin XP-E R4 version. I guess I'll have to either wait until confirmation from some other who may purchase it, or just opt for the p100a2.

I never heard of the XP-E R4 version of the Javelin. Allot of the 2AA lights throw around that same it's not a big difference. I'd just pick up an E21. I got a PA40 it can throw as far as any 2AA(I have the SMO) so I am selling my P100A2. Also, if I were to do it again I'd just get the E21 and call it a day. Throws great for 2AA compared to the others not a big difference. I just got overly obsessed with which one has the most and in the end I'd be happy with most.

Here's the neutral white version of the E21. It's got less output then the cool white version but it's still has plenty throw for a 2AA.

Hotlinked image removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
the P20A2 Mark 1 had a very notorious irritating UI.
Yes, it was all-too-easy to switch to strobe by rapidly half-pressing the forward clickie two or three times quickly. I finally gave it to my daughter's boyfriend. He was thrilled and loved the strobe. I was glad to be rid of it.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I agree with animalmother in that there's not going to be much difference. Personally, i think you should just pick up an e21 too as it's cheaper than all of them at 30 bucks shipped & throws similar to the others! Best bang for the buck. Pocket clip is a consideration though as it's got none, but i digress. BTW, it's a very fat 2AA. Comparing them all, i'd say it's fattest.

vickers214

Enlightened
I had the q5 p100a2 and it was an fantastic light, only got rid of it as I went to li-ion power, I've got another p100a2 with the s2 xpg coming in the post, it will take a while due to the time of year, but I will let you know what it throws like when I get it, as I have learnt not to get too hung up on lux as it never really tells the full story

Last edited:

vickers214

Enlightened
Going from memory here but the result is no it does not throw as well, HOWEVER it is not far off and the hotspot is much bigger and the spill brighter, the Q5 spill was very weak, not unusable though.
To be honest I think the 250 LED lumen R3 version of this light would be its best format (Q5 195, R2 205, S2 325) as I really liked my Q5 a lot, just Li Ion lights are a lot brighter!
:)
Hope this helps, but it must have been expected really! haha