Thrunite Scorpion V2 with Turbo Head - My Thoughts

yalskey

Enlightened
Hello CPF-ers... it's been a while since I have posted anything or even hand anything to do with flashlights in general. But I got myself a Thrunite Scorpion V2 with Turbo Head for Christmas this year and I though I might share some of my insights.

Overall, I really like this light. In many respects it is near perfect for me. However, there are some things I would point out. I really hope some of these things get to be heard by Thrunite themselves. Please help me understand if I screw anything up below.

First off, the beam and lumens outputted by this thing is really impressive for running off of the 2x RCR's (IMR) I have in it now. I've taken it outside and stood at 21 feet (police officers will know what I mean) and it is truly blinding. If an officer used the light on me at 21 feet, I couldn't even tell you what color clothes the officer was wearing... it's that intense of a beam to stare into... much less strobe!

I wish the light didn't have any plastic. The selector knob should be HA-III Aluminum with some knurling... and the pseudo-clicky button should be a flat-top (for possible tail standing) stainless steel button... stainless because it would accent the cosmetic look of the light, and bring durability if the light dropped on it's tail.

One thing that may be isolated to just me is that the plastic tube for the batteries that help with battery rattle, I had to take out of the light in order for the light to turn on. Battery Junction helped me out with this over the phone. (p.s. Battery Junction is and always has been a really great place for me to buy from... just my honest opinion). Once I got rid of the plastic battery tube, the light worked great... but it took a phone call for me to figure this out... and I've been a CPF flashaholic for 6 or so years now. I still don't really know why the light wouldn't turn on with the tube in it. Either way, no problem... even without the tube, there's no battery rattle I can tell with two AW IMR RCR16340's.

I wish instead of firefly mode, they just made an additional (2nd) infinitely adjustable / memorized mode. I understand that firefly might not be as low as that mode could go, but I'm sure they could figure something out here. My general hope with this comment is that they add a constant-on near-max mode, as well as a 30-60 lumen mode, and a firefly mode. I know that's a lot of modes and stuff, but the 2 tactical level modes (momentary max & strobe) are very easily accessible already, and can be rapidly changed back and forth with one hand easily.

The lock-out button mode could use some improvement as well. It's kind of a pain to get it into that mode and it doesn't really LOCK anything. On mine, you can easily just turn the knob out of LOCK without pressing the button at all... so, not really a good LOCK in my opinion.

Very minor, but I would also like the brand and model identified somewhere on the light. With the Turbo Head, the only real text on the thing is the TN on the button. I would also personally like a more aggressive and large patterned knurling. Think about holding on to this light if your glove and the light are covered in wet mud... can I work the light then? With the design as-is... maybe, maybe not.

A more aggressive stainless steel bezel would be nice too. More aggressive for defensive applications, and also it would let more light out the cracks when the light is head standing.

The pocket clips is just ok... nothing special, nothing really wrong with it per se.

This is a medium one: If you have the tail cap unscrewed just an 1/8th of an inch, the light won't turn on / work. That thing has got to be screwed down fairly snug. I don't like this little detail that could cause the light to completely stop working... it should have more tolerance than 1/8th inch turn... maybe a 1/4 revolution or more.

I don't really like that you have to line up the tail cap either... although I haven't really had trouble with it.

The anti-roll feature could be a bit more effective... but that's a small thing.

These are all little gripes (maybe some are medium gripes) to an excellent light that I'll use for years as my tactical EDC. As an interpersonal violence mitigation (self-defense) instructor, I recommend this light for it's many strong advantages, but wish for a version 3 with these issues addressed.

My Overall Rating: 8/10

Please let me know your thoughts on these things, and what you think of the light.

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
Cool review my friend. I was thinking about getting one soon. I agree ENTIRELY about the plastic. It's EXACTLY the same ad my gladius. Great design concept. But. Plastic? I guess it could have something to do with the magnet mayb. I dunno. Still a sweet light.

To hell with it. Get a Catapault lol