Looking for a Thrower....

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read the "Dedicated Thrower" thread, but it's mostly about the Derelight and the Deft, neither of which I'm interested in. I guess I've got it down to either the Catapult V3 or the M3X. I considered the M3C4, but it doesn't seem to like flat top cells so that's out. Between the Catapult and M3x, which one would you choose? I know the M3X seems to be a tad better at throw, but I'm also considering build quality and other subjective features.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Checkout the New Coast HP17!

It has the Cree XM-L LED

Here is some information from the Coast website.....

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.

• Light output: High - 615 lumens; Low - 64 lumens
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Runtime: High - 15 hours 15 minutes; Low - 51 hours 15 minutes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 269 meters (882 ft); Low - 47 meters (154 ft)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]High, strobe, and low output modes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Impact and water resistant[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1.95 lbs (including batteries); 13.12 inch length[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.53 inches; Bezel - 2.12 inches[/SIZE][/FONT]

utlgoa

Enlightened
Checkout the New Coast HP17!

It has the Cree XM-L LED

Here is some information from the Coast website.....

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.

• Light output: High - 615 lumens; Low - 64 lumens
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Runtime: High - 15 hours 15 minutes; Low - 51 hours 15 minutes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 269 meters (882 ft); Low - 47 meters (154 ft)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]High, strobe, and low output modes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Impact and water resistant[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1.95 lbs (including batteries); 13.12 inch length[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.53 inches; Bezel - 2.12 inches[/SIZE][/FONT]

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I have both lights. I can tell you if you want quality and throw there is no better flashlight made that I am aware of that beats the Catapult V3. It's made out of the heavier 7075 grade aluminum and the maching cuts on the V3 are exquisite. I give it a gem mint 10. It's still by far my favorite flashlight that I own. The other light that I have that I like almost as much is the Olight SR51. But if you want the best throw from an XM-L the Olight M3X is my best thrower I own. Easily throws out to probably 400yds and then some.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EagleTac M3C4 XM-L runs fine on flat top AW 18650 2900 mah batteries, and I love the light.

I really love the Catapult & Olight MX3 too. If I were to choose between these two I'd pick the Olight mostly because it is a lot more lightweight. The Cat weighs almost 50% more than the Olight. To me that matters quite a bit if you're gonna be hauling it around a lot.

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
And I can tell you that the M3X is more than just a tad better thrower than the Catapult V3. My M3X will probably beat the Catapult V3 in throw with a brighter hotspot by say 10-15% if I had to guess. But like I said, if you want both quality and better cut threads and just a heftier all around better made flashlight, the Catapult V3 is by far the way to go.

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
My EagleTac M3C4 XM-L runs fine on flat top AW 18650 2900 mah batteries, and I love the light.

I really love the Catapult & Olight MX3 too. If I were to choose between these two I'd pick the Olight mostly because it is a lot more lightweight. To me that matters quite a bit if you're gonna be hauling it around a lot.

And I agree if weight is a factor the M3X is the way to go. Mine weighs 13 oz with 2 18650 batteries. My Catapult V3 weighs 19oz or 1 lb 3oz with 2 18650 batteries. That's a 6oz difference. But again the quality is way better on the V3.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
But I can tell you any of these 4 XM-L lights right here that I have would make most very happy if you want throw.

DSCF1579Small.jpg

elliot.c

Newly Enlightened
Im a newbie but my Fenix tk41 throws okay even though its slightly big and its really cheap :)

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
The SR51 out of that bunch there in the picture would probably place last. But it's still probably the brightest up close and a more useable light.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
how does the ArmyTek Predator do in a throwing contest?

I'm thinking of making this my next light.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
And I wanted to better state my answer since you ask about throw on the SR51. The SR51 is a very good thrower although it won't out throw the M3X. It will hang with the Catapult V3 and actually it out did my Crelant 7G5 from what my eyes seen at 60yds and my camera. I ended up sending my 7G5 back for another so we will see if it is a better thrower and brighter. I have a thread you can look at some beam shots on comparing some of these lights head to head. I played with my camera settings so some will look brighter than others. But later in the thread I posted on BLF I changed my setting to manual. But you should get some benefit from it. Let me find it and I will post it for you here.

Enlightened
ILF said it best. If you want pure throw, go for the M3X. I have measured my lights and M3X is really good. Its quality is good as well, definitely no issue with the anodising and the threads are just a little bit rougher than the usual Jetbeams/Fenix. Even in pretty rough use (enough to scratch up the HA) i don't think anybody can break a M3X, to be honest....unless you forsee it being dropped in a cave past 10m down. If you enjoy "visual toughness" and that "heft in hand feel", then the Catapult V3 would impress you, because the walls are way thicker. It throws a wee bit less. By lux values it is about 15% less, so the difference is mildly visible in the real world but only in a side-by-side direct compario. That 15% in lux difference only means 214m and 197m in physical distance for the M3X and Catapult V3 in the real world, using the international searchlight lighting distance standard 1 lux at target.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I thought I was set on an M3X, but after reading some more, I ordered the SR51. I liked it's features better, even though it doesn't throw as well. It may prove to be overall more useful.

Thanks for your input.

Rob

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Well actually the SR51 at 60yds in the thread I showed you above out threw my Catapult V3 and the Crelant 7G5. But now the farther out you go the hotspot is smaller or tighter on the other XM-L lights like the Catapult V3 or the Crelant 7G5 so I think you will see the other lights take over the farther out you go. But what is odd is that the hotspot on the Crelant 7G5 is the smallest out of all these lights I posted above and the Catapult V3 hotspot would be next to the smallest I believe, and the M3X has a bigger hotspot than those two, but the M3X still out throws both. But up at say 5 ft shining on a wall you can tell that the SR51 is the brightest of all those 4 lights. But you are going to be tickled with the SR51. I love mine almost as much as my Catapult V3.

Brad

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read the "Dedicated Thrower" thread, but it's mostly about the Derelight and the Deft, neither of which I'm interested in. I guess I've got it down to either the Catapult V3 or the M3X. I considered the M3C4, but it doesn't seem to like flat top cells so that's out. Between the Catapult and M3x, which one would you choose? I know the M3X seems to be a tad better at throw, but I'm also considering build quality and other subjective features.

I got the M3X, running a pair of Redilast 2900's in it. Excellent light though I did have to tighten the switch retaining ring when it arrived.