Maglite 3 D drop ins

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I know this is probably one of the most asked questions on here but, what is the best drop in unit for the 3D mag? The last time I looked it was the Terralux, but I do remember it having mixed reviews. However I have since heard there has been a few new drop ins, Fusion 36 and TTS-3WCR45 (and theres two of them 180lm and 200lm) does anyone have any recommendations? I want to spend as little as possible, so £15 is about enough.

Now before anyone says get a new torch for the £15, I have lots of them Lenser P7, P3, Mag AA with a terralux drop in and a cyba-lite explorer. But that fact is I still consider the 3D to be a real torch. Flawed in many ways, but a real big torch and therefore I feel I must upgrade it.

Thanks in advance.

Oh on a side note I did try to search but I don't seem able, probably because i'm a newbie.

dougie

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one else has replied already? Anyway, nothing wrong with using a 3D Mag as a host. Terralux are OK and although there have been reports of the odd dud one the majority are very serviceable. I've got two in a couple of Mags and so far no problems. Of course the real problem is that the Terralux isn't sitting in an ideal heatsink and so the output is not brilliant. It's better than a stock incandescent bulb and normally way more reliable but not a fantastic leap in output. In addition unless you modify the reflector you will still suffer from artefacts and rings in the beam.

I've edited this post to include a web link for a drop in for the Mag which is available in the UK. It meets your price point but as I've never used the company or have that particular drop-in I can't say a lot about it's performance or longevity. However, as it is pretty cheap is it worth not trying it?

Here is the link: http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TTS-3WCR45_CNC_XPG-R5_LED.html

Last edited:

marcl

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised no one else has replied already? Anyway, nothing wrong with using a 3D Mag as a host. Terralux are OK and although there have been reports of the odd dud one the majority are very serviceable. I've got two in a couple of Mags and so far no problems. Of course the real problem is that the Terralux isn't sitting in an ideal heatsink and so the output is not brilliant. It's better than a stock incandescent bulb and normally way more reliable but not a fantastic leap in output. In addition unless you modify the reflector you will still suffer from artefacts and rings in the beam.

I've edited this post to include a web link for a drop in for the Mag which is available in the UK. It meets your price point but as I've never used the company or have that particular drop-in I can't say a lot about it's performance or longevity. However, as it is pretty cheap is it worth not trying it?

Here is the link: http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TTS-3WCR45_CNC_XPG-R5_LED.html

Thanks Dougie and a happy new year to you.

That's the drop in I had my eye on. Looks pretty good but also looks like the terralux, so would that mean it to would have heat sink problems? Or is this LED more efficient? Iv'e also looked at the Fusion 36, but i'm not sure that I want just flood. I like the idea of keeping the Maglite with it's reflector, and it's focus/flood feature.

Kind regards, Marc.

dougie

Enlightened
Marc,

The problem with Mags is that they were designed to use a incandescent bulb. In a Mag the pedestal into which the bulb fits can withstand the temperature of the incandescent bulb but was not designed to 'take away' the heat which needs to be removed from a LED. Terralux modules rely on the relatively small surface area of the module itself to act as a heat sink. However, it isn't very efficient. Does this mean that the LED will quickly fail? Not necessarily. Modern LED's compared to even a few years ago are much more efficient at utilising the power they use and thereby not wasting it by converting it into heat. Terralux units are in general very reliable. Some, in the past have been reported to have had poor reliability or shortened lives due to manufacturing faults rather than poor design. However, given the number of people using them, me included, without problems and you can be pretty certain that they are going to be OK. Finally, given that most LED's are reported to last between 20 -50,000 hours of use if you only got 5,000 then the drop in still represents great value compared to an incandescent bulb which might only last for about 50-100 hours? As I said if you want ultra reliability for the LED from good heat sinking then the only way to go is to either buy something like a Malkoff drop in or make your own Mag conversion. As for me, I might even try one of the Terralux units you are looking at as £15 it isn't exactly a huge amount of money to worry about if it fails in a short period of time?

Kind regards

Doug

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I know this is probably one of the most asked questions on here but, what is the best drop in unit for the 3D mag? The last time I looked it was the Terralux, but I do remember it having mixed reviews. However I have since heard there has been a few new drop ins, Fusion 36 and TTS-3WCR45 (and theres two of them 180lm and 200lm) does anyone have any recommendations? I want to spend as little as possible, so £15 is about enough.

Now before anyone says get a new torch for the £15, I have lots of them Lenser P7, P3, Mag AA with a terralux drop in and a cyba-lite explorer. But that fact is I still consider the 3D to be a real torch. Flawed in many ways, but a real big torch and therefore I feel I must upgrade it.

Thanks in advance.

Oh on a side note I did try to search but I don't seem able, probably because i'm a newbie.
Go for the Fusion ... Mine is in a 2D (either 6 AA Eneloops or two 18650's) and my Wifes is in a 2C (two 18500's) ... The 3D should work well with three D cells , as my Wifes will work OK with two C cells.

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys and happy new year to you all,

Dougie, I understand totally what you are saying, I to have a terralux drop in for my mini mag AA. It's only 50lm but has transformed the torch from useless, to being good enough to be mounted on my bike as a head light. It's certainly made it a fab house torch. So thanks, I think i'm getting something ordered very soon as I have been meaning to get this Maglite upgraded for some time. The closest I got was buying a Lenser p7 and a P3:oops:

@march.brown. I nearly pulled the trigger and bought a Fusion 36 but i'm just not sure I want all flood. I have not ruled it out completely, in fact as we speak I am thinking I might get one. Are there any pics of one in use?

Thanks again, Marc.

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys and happy new year to you all,

Dougie, I understand totally what you are saying, I to have a terralux drop in for my mini mag AA. It's only 50 l'm but has transformed the torch from useless, to being good enough to be mounted on my bike as a head light. It's certainly made it a fab house torch. So thanks, I think i'm getting something ordered very soon as I have been meaning to get this Maglite upgraded for some time. The closest I got was buying a Lenser p7 and a P3:oops:

@march.brown. I nearly pulled the trigger and bought a Fusion 36 but i'm just not sure I want all flood. However as we speak I am thinking I may just get one. Are there any pics of one in use?

Thanks again, Marc.

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the double post! It took me 6 attempts and 5 posts disappearing to get here.

Sorry, Marc.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dougie and a happy new year to you.

That's the drop in I had my eye on. Looks pretty good but also looks like the terralux, so would that mean it to would have heat sink problems? Or is this LED more efficient? Iv'e also looked at the Fusion 36, but i'm not sure that I want just flood. I like the idea of keeping the Maglite with it's reflector, and it's focus/flood feature.

Kind regards, Marc.
Hi Marc, I bought the 180 lumen dropin from the torch site just before Christmas for my 6D Mag. I'm sure there are brighter torches out there, but for under £15 it's transformed the MagLite and is what I'd call highly usable. I'd highly recommend such an upgrade.

marcl

Newly Enlightened
Hi Marc, I bought the 180 lumen dropin from the torch site just before Christmas for my 6D Mag. I'm sure there are brighter torches out there, but for under £15 it's transformed the MagLite and is what I'd call highly usable. I'd highly recommend such an upgrade.

Thanks Chicken Drumstick, The one I am looking at is the same but with 200lm, not sure if it would be noticeable but it is only £2 more. Just not sure if I should get it or a fusion 36.
Can't make up my mind.

Kind regards, Marc.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TTS-3WCR45 will give you a spot. Defocussing it gives you a doughnut hole.
The Fusion 36 will give you a w-i-d-e f-l-o-o-d.
Totally different beam pattern.

marcl

Newly Enlightened
The TTS-3WCR45 will give you a spot. Defocussing it gives you a doughnut hole.
The Fusion 36 will give you a w-i-d-e f-l-o-o-d.
Totally different beam pattern.

Yeah I can imagine what they will be like, it's just a; how bright will the Fusion 36 be on just 3 d cells, in comparison to TTS? And b; Which is most useful, fusion's flood or TTS compromised flood and throw?

I suspect the fusion may be the one to go for here. What would you go for LEDninja, out of the two?

Thanks, Marc.

dougie

Enlightened
Marc,

As you are asking which of the two to go for the only advice I can give is to remember that 'if' the Terralux unit goes t*t's up at least you will be able to deal with a warranty claim in the UK? My experience of dealing with manufacturers in the Far East has been about 75 % positive. 1) long delays in receiving whatever you order and 2) getting your money back if it breaks. Whilst I'm pretty sure the guy who sells the Fusions is OK I'd advise taking out postal insurance if you want to be sure you'll get it?

Whatever you go for keep us up to date?

Dougie

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chicken Drumstick, The one I am looking at is the same but with 200lm, not sure if it would be noticeable but it is only £2 more. Just not sure if I should get it or a fusion 36.
Can't make up my mind.

Kind regards, Marc.
Yeah when I bought the TTS-3WCR90 they didn't have the R5 listed, that seems to have only been added in the last couple of weeks.

I've not used the Fusion 36, or even seen it, but I did rear a thread about it the other day. Guess it depends what you are going to use the torch for.

With 6D the TTS-3WCR90 has truly enhanced it but kept it very much MagLite. The focusing seems to work way better than it did with an incan bulb, with a tight focus you get a very bright concentrated hot spot, smaller than the hot spot with an incan bulb, but almost too bright to use up close in doors. But it gives it good throw and ceiling bounce. On the flood mode you can't make the hot spot much bigger though and it quickly turns into a very noticeable do-nut shape, far more so than with an incan bulb. If you want a flood light, then this probably isn't the right choice, but then a standard Mag isn't either.

The spill with the LED is also much brighter and far more usable than previously.

It might be the Fusion 36 would suit you better, but I'd be amazed if you where disappointed with the TTS-3WCR90 XP-G R5 drop in. And for the money and easy availability from a UK supplier it makes sense to me. Hope you enjoy whatever you get.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I can imagine what they will be like, it's just a; how bright will the Fusion 36 be on just 3 d cells, in comparison to TTS? And b; Which is most useful, fusion's flood or TTS compromised flood and throw?

I suspect the fusion may be the one to go for here. What would you go for LEDninja, out of the two?

Thanks, Marc.
I don't have a Fusion 36.
I found these beamshots. The TTS would have a tighter beam than the L2R.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Mag-Drop-in.&p=3523995&viewfull=1#post3523995

marcl

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a Fusion 36.
I found these beamshots. The TTS would have a tighter beam than the L2R.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Mag-Drop-in.&p=3523995&viewfull=1#post3523995

Thanks LEDninja. I have found something else, If you don't giving your opinion. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-x...-drop-in-module-with-textured-reflector-58481 I have started another post but not had many replies and with 4259 posts and a name like yours, I have to ask. What do you think? would this be a better option? I realise I would have to run more cells.

Thanks again, Marc.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks LEDninja. I have found something else, If you don't giving your opinion. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-x...-drop-in-module-with-textured-reflector-58481 I have started another post but not had many replies and with 4259 posts and a name like yours, I have to ask. What do you think? would this be a better option? I realise I would have to run more cells.

Thanks again, Marc.

See if you can find a lower voltage version. That one needs 5 cells minimum. Read the 1st review on the site: "Will not work on high mode with anything less than 6 D cells"
Would have been easier if you have a 2D Mag. Then you can get a 6AA to 2D adapter.
Maybe you can use a 9AA to 3D adapter with 1 or 2 dummy cells.

Most of those modules are designed for the xxxfire 500 series of flashlights using 2*18650 cells (7.2-8.4V). So while the 'specs' say 5.4V- the module really needs 7.2V.

Mechanically the 500 series flashlight head is slightly different than the Maglite. The flange at the top of the module is slightly thicker than a Mag reflector. I only bought a reflector. I can not screw the bezel back on all the way. About a 1 mm to 1.5 mm gap. Does not affect operation. 2nd problem is the side of the module does not make good contact with the Mag head for heat dissipation. The trick is to fill the space with crumpled aluminium foil to provide a better thermal path.

That module should give you 4X the brightness of the TTS if you can get it to work.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
Apparently, you blokes get reamed in the arse ordering stuff from the U.S. and A. I'm wondering if it's the same if it's going the other way across the pond from the UK to the US. Those TTS drop ins look interesting. I'm wondering if Terralux will eventually sell the same thing here.