I lost my Fenix PD30, found it in a place I swear I looked 50 times.

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened
I actually lost my first PD30 mid-2009 (thread here), then I bought a replacement PD30+ mid 2010 and lost that one (great track record huh?) seemingly mysteriously while cleaning my pellet stove. I've since replaced that one (until I buy a new fullsize light) with a keychain Quark mini.

Just today I was installing a new igniter into my stove and "What the heck! That's the flashlight I lost 2 years ago!"[i/] there sat my PD30+.
I looked everywhere for it that day, even donning rubber gloves and picking through my entire shopvac contents wondering if I had sucked it up accidentally.

I'm lucky this didn't burst and cause a fire though. :poof:
The cells had corroded into the flashlight (I can not remove the cells, they have expanded into the tube) and presumably burst from the heat.

Here are some pics in an ALBUM.

Is there any hope reviving this whatsoever?

Does anyone wanna recoup me some money and buy this to tinker with?
Maybe you can get it working?

$10 shipped to you.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually lost my first PD30 mid-2009 (thread here), then I bought a replacement PD30+ mid 2010 and lost that one (great track record huh?) seemingly mysteriously while cleaning my pellet stove. I've since replaced that one (until I buy a new fullsize light) with a keychain Quark mini.

Just today I was installing a new igniter into my stove and "What the heck! That's the flashlight I lost 2 years ago!"[i/] there sat my PD30+.
I looked everywhere for it that day, even donning rubber gloves and picking through my entire shopvac contents wondering if I had sucked it up accidentally.

I'm lucky this didn't burst and cause a fire though. :poof:
The cells had corroded into the flashlight (I can not remove the cells, they have expanded into the tube) and presumably burst from the heat.

Here are some pics in an ALBUM.

Is there any hope reviving this whatsoever?

Does anyone wanna recoup me some money and buy this to tinker with?
Maybe you can get it working?

$10 shipped to you.
I'll take it ! how do I pay ?

T45

Enlightened
Drill into the center of the battery, then insert a screw, then pull the battery out with pliers. Repeat for the second battery if necessary.

something that worked with stuck batteries in Maglites(yeah, I know...when DOESN"T that happen) is to use hydrogen peroxide. Soak the tube in the HP and it softens the battery mess making it easier to remove. If you don't care for chemicals, Fyrstormer's idea is a good place to start.

fyrstormer

Banned
Actually, thinking about it some more, since both ends of the battery tube can be opened, the batteries can be removed by hammering them out. No need for drilling.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, thinking about it some more, since both ends of the battery tube can be opened, the batteries can be removed by hammering them out. No need for drilling.

don't touch them please ! send me the light as was shown in the pics. i will take care of it. this is going into
a hood with an oil-bath to eliminate exposure to oxygen whilst I work on removing toxic and flammable LiIon Battery problem

if light arrives with empty tube

I will be disappoint :ohgeez:

fyrstormer

Banned
don't touch them please ! send me the light as was shown in the pics. i will take care of it. this is going into
a hood with an oil-bath to eliminate exposure to oxygen whilst I work on removing toxic and flammable LiIon Battery problem

Heh, sorry, not trying to ruin your fun. ;)

sandanbob

Newly Enlightened
I've had instances of looking for something and finding it in the place I looked a dozen times... then there are the instances where my wife has moved an item, so it's no longer where I left it.

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened

Don't worry the light it on it's way and it does indeed still house the batteries.

Just for reference these are rechargeable 900Mah Tenergy cells.

I've had instances of looking for something and finding it in the place I looked a dozen times...
I'm just at a loss as to how I didn't see it sitting in there.
From now on when working in tight spaces I am going to set my flashlights down while ON. :oops:

I eventually gave up when I lost it and screwed all the panels back into the pellet stove thinking I must have put it somewhere else.

Last edited:

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
From now on when working in tight spaces I am going to set my flashlights down while ON. :oops:

Glad you found it bro...attach a yellow reflective paracord lanyard, if lost maybe shining (another!) light around will get it to show-up if you lost it because it was black on black.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the victim and it is soaking in oil now to remove any stray oxygen.

I have not tested the pill or clicky yet...I won't even try until the barrel is free and I have no burns :D

barrel is empty
W0HYw.jpg

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok.............ummmmmm....tossed in some new Duracell CR123's....

in this model Fenix, what are the operating modes and how are they activated ?

because...whatever you are gonna tell me, I can say that it is not doing it. I think it just summoned an alien invasion or something
...but act like an EDC it ain't...yet...think it's gonna work though eventually.

Last edited:

usernameless

Newly Enlightened
Lurker here, but this thread prompts a post.

I have three rules for searching for lost/misplaced items. These rules don't apply to people, because lost people move about, but they work amazingly well for missing objects.

Rule number one: Look where it's supposed to be. Where it belongs, where it lives, where you last remember having it in your possession, where you or someone else should or might have put it under the circumstances, etc. Obvious, of course. Natural. Almost doesn't even merit being mentioned, right? Because that's where everyone looks. Because that's where you find everything that isn't truly missing or lost.

Rule number two: Look there again. Yes, the same places as rule number one. The damned thing is supposed to be there, and it most likely is, because that's where it's supposed to be, and you just missed it. You missed it because you didn't really look. You made a quick, cursory search. We often make the mistake of repeatedly looking for something in an area or place without thoroughly searching. Search exhaustively in the places where the item is most likely to be. Pull the drawer all the way out. Move everything, that isn't it, out of the way. Empty the drawer or the box or the file cabinet out and put everything back that isn't what you're hunting. Check ALL of your pockets again, thoroughly, including the jacket or pants you might have worn. If it's a book on a shelf, then go spine-by-spine, title-by-title. Rule number two finds almost everything that's just temporarily lost, that can't move on its own, because almost everything really is where you left it, and nothing is ever lost if you find it via Rule number one.

Rule number three: Look where it just shouldn't be. The freezer. Somewhere that a playful dog or cat or child may have put it. The housekeeper. An external, malevolent force. You've already exhaustively searched all the places where it's supposed to be, or might reasonably be, so you simply must look where it *shouldn't* be.

If Rule number three doesn't find it, it's lost, pending serendipity.

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened
Glad you found it bro...attach a yellow reflective paracord lanyard, if lost maybe shining (another!) light around will get it to show-up if you lost it because it was black on black.
Very good ideas, I shall defintiely do that on my next fullsized light.

Good job! :thumbsup:

ok.............ummmmmm....tossed in some new Duracell CR123's....

in this model Fenix, what are the operating modes and how are they activated ?
It has been awhile since I've used it.

I believe when you have the head screwed 1/4 turn out it goes low, med, high.

When you have the head screwed all the way in one click is turbo and a consecutive click is strobe.

Glad you got it in a timely fashion.

Flashlight Enthusiast
it works. as soon as it heated up from the LED being lit,
some type of goo has collected inside the reflector assembly, looks like drops the color of tea.

the bezel is not disassembly friendly so I am not going to try to bust in there. I am trying to heat it up
and see if that crud will melt and drool somewhere else....

the light works though, it is flaky. the twist to change feature didn't work until I dremeled and sanded
all the edges a bit. now it just goes to strobe mode when you don't want it to.

the more I cook the head, the better the light behaves, so I think the outgassing or cooking of the
batteries left some crud in the head. I will probably be done monkeying with it tonight and hey if it works...

man this thing is fugly...looks like it was left in the sahara desert for 5 years then found by a gorilla, chewed on,
and then left outside a few more years :D

Last edited: