Outer ring around the beam?

Danielight

Enlightened
I noticed that there is a faint ring around the outer edge of the beam coming from my Shining Beam I-mini XP-G R4 NW. Is this fairly normal? Not that it's a big deal; after all, the beam is bright with a slightly warm tint. I was just curious.

buds224

Enlightened
I noticed that there is a faint ring around the outer edge of the beam coming from my Shining Beam I-mini XP-G R4 NW. Is this fairly normal? Not that it's a big deal; after all, the beam is bright with a slightly warm tint. I was just curious.

I'm a noob, but I read that rings may be a characteristic of a smooth reflector. At least that's true with the lights I have. None of my lights with orange peel textured reflectors have rings.

***update: I just looked up your light, and it has an orange-peel reflector according to the website, so I was just proven wrong. Maybe someone else can chime in???

TK41 - Smooth - definite rings
LD20 - Smooth - slight rings
PD32 - Smooth - slight rings
PC10 - Smooth - slight rings
XT11 - orange peel - no rings
TA21 - orange peel - no rings

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened
The only thing I can think is that the outer ring is caused by the smooth outer rim of the reflector itself. Again, not a big deal, but I was just curious in light of the fact that flashlight aficionados seem to include rings as part of their overall beam evaluation. :rolleyes:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Sometimes the ring is an artifact that you might see on a wall shot at close range, but at further distances, outdoors, etc, its not visible.

Its really a question of degree.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wouldn't worry about a faint ring, especially if everything else is good with the light. It's pretty typical with the light lottery. Maybe the LED is a fraction of a millimeter too high or low in the reflector, causing the ring. If you can get into the head maybe you can screw the pill in or out a tiny bit to improve the beam.

Geoff

ragweed

Enlightened
I would not really worry about it myself. I have a light that has a black doughnut hole around the center beam. Now that's bad!

Danielight

Enlightened
I agree that it's not a big deal. The reflector is OP, but the top rim looks smooth (maybe where the OP texture quits). I probably won't risk taking the thing apart to adjust it (unless I get adventurous after the novelty of this being a new flashlight wears off!). :naughty:

Danielight

Enlightened
Sometimes the ring is an artifact that you might see on a wall shot at close range, but at further distances, outdoors, etc, its not visible.
Its really a question of degree.
Interestingly enough, the outer ring is more noticeable outside when shining it on the ground. It's like a "Saturn" ring around the main part of the beam. Hotspot itself is fine, and the beam color is a nice neutral white.