Maelstrom S18... Buy another one?

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone this might seem like I'm off the wall question, have you seen the price on the S18 after the CPF discount? From goinggear it's $151! I already have the light and admittedly don't use it much. I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder though and for that price am thinking about buying another... I like the light overall but was recently looking at the SWT40cs as well as the Olight m3x. I am thinking about buying a thrower... I recently started looking at the SR51 again though, I know the reflector is MOP but in the GG review it appeared to throw very good. so I suppose my question is more like several questions..

1. Anyone know how the S18 will throw compared to the SW or m3x?

2. Even though I already have one, am I totally strange for thinking about buying a 2nd S18 because the price is "right"?

Thanks guys.. Appreciate the input!

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S18 throws 361 on CR123's, or 377 meters on RCR16340's, as measured by Selfbuilt.
The T40CS throws 432 meters as measured by Selfbuilt.
While the M3X is roughly similar to the T40CS, but has never been tested by Selfbuilt.
Selfbuilt however has tested the SR51 on an MOP to throw 396 meters.

The S18 SST-90 doesn't throw that well, however it floods laterally a lot more than the XM-L's, by outputting 1250 to 1350 lumens OTF as estimated by Selfbuilt.
The XM-L's throw a bit better, but don't deliver anywhere near as much lumen output...

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
PH.. Thanks for the comparative numbers! It seems that based on numbers, the S18 throws just a bit less than the SR51, that being said, I wonder if dollar for dollar, the S18 is a better buy at $151 than the 51 at $126. I realize that the 51 takes just 2 18650's whereas you'd need to invest in 6 rcr's for the s18, but given the similar throw and the fact that the S18 puts out a bigger, brighter wall of light... May it be the "better value"? I also didn't add the $6 or so to the 51 for the 18650 carrier that you would need to buy in order to run that config.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very hard to say which has better value for money.
It's about the same?
Just depends whether you want outright throw in the SR51, or a bigger, heavier light, with less throw, but more flood.
The form factor is also very different; the S18 much bigger and heavier.
The UI is also very different; a simple side switch, versus a tail end switch with a rotary dial...

fl0t

Enlightened
I saw the price reduction on Tuesday and I couldn't resist, I bought an S18. GG's deal is a true bang for the buck.
You will not find it lower than $200+shipping anywhere else.

Considering the price I would say "Go for it!"

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
I just saw this today and had to go for it as well. I hope it was a good deal. I was worried I would be disappointed since there are better throwers out there. I hope not. Anyone with an s18 have any feedback? Was it worth the price?

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
I just saw this today and had to go for it as well. I hope it was a good deal. I was worried I would be disappointed since there are better throwers out there. I hope not. Anyone with an s18 have any feedback? Was it worth the price?

Being technically challenged but fully addicted to this hobby, I feel I can safely say yes. I bought mine (S18) this past summer for it's sheer power and based on predominantly great reviews and it was not and does not disappoint. At my cabin in upstate New York where I am surrounded by acres of deep,dark,intimidating woodland,the S-18 is a work of art. Not to mention the wow factor from anyone one who first experiences it's true capacity.
My only disappointment now is the MUCH higher price I paid to get mine. this, I think is a steal of a deal for a very fine light.

But, what the hell do I know?

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Being technically challenged but fully addicted to this hobby, I feel I can safely say yes. I bought mine (S18) this past summer for it's sheer power and based on predominantly great reviews and it was not and does not disappoint. At my cabin in upstate New York where I am surrounded by acres of deep,dark,intimidating woodland,the S-18 is a work of art. Not to mention the wow factor from anyone one who first experiences it's true capacity.
My only disappointment now is the MUCH higher price I paid to get mine. this, I think is a steal of a deal for a very fine light.

But, what the hell do I know?

Thanks. This is just what I wanted to hear. Getting more excited to get in the mail now! Also have a cabin in the northwoods (WI) which will make for some good testing ground on night hikes in the forest.

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
You won't be dissapointed, the light throws pretty well but also lights up an area 200 feet deep by about 75 feet wide like daylight. Now if you are backwoods cabin style.. The x factor is that you could use the S18 as a weapon, I have no doubt that you could inflict a fair amount of blunt force trauma to any living thing. It's quite a heavy piece of equipment and I'm sure it will last you a long time!

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Got my s18 today. I love this thing. It is the perfect balance between extreme "light everything in front of you" brightness and intensely powerful throw. I can't imagine preferring an SR90/91 etc over this thing. Great size, feels high quality -nice and heavy in the hand without being too big. This light is really underrated in my opinion. The tactile feel of the click dial to change brightness levels is nice as well. I can see using the low mode a lot with some quick bursts of medium and high for fun. I don't see battery costs being a problem, it's not like I will use it on high all the time, and there are some online retailers that offer CR123's pretty cheap. Overall a very impressive well-priced, well-balanced beast of a light. I finally found a light that trumps my TN11 by a mile.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I was actually considering the same thing...I have an S18, and was considering getting ANOTHER one due to the low price.

I really love the S18, the tail dial to adjust the output is great...and the range of low to high works for me too.

I did some beam shots, but not against the SR51.

I think they're in my sig line.

:D

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Nice beamshots! Thanks TEEJ. Really shows the difference in beam styles between the 3 lights. Do you have a favorite? I may just have to eventually pick up an SR90 in the future... Can't deny that searing powerful beam/throw.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Having several of the light mentioned above--SR90, SR51, & S18, thoughr I would add a little. I just got the S18 today(couldn't resist the deal) so I haven't put it in a full range test yet. The S18 is big beautiful light and is very powerful. It does have a very broad spot that it throws compared to my other throwers. First impressions I would say the total throw distance is pretty equal to the SR51, but puts out much more light doing it. It can't touch the SR90 on throw however. The S18 isn't near as handy as the SR51 for walking the dog, etc. The S51's smaller size, side clicky, and still awesome light output make it a much more practical light than the S18. The S18 however is obviously more handy than the huge SR90. The SR90 is BIG, really BIG. But for pure power, throw, and pure awesomeness, it is VERY hard to beat.
So my advice to OP who already has the S18, give the SR51 a try if you want a great medium size thrower for a decent price. For anybody else looking for a very powerful light, the S18 at the current price is a great deal. It's an awesome light. I have no issue with the cr123 setup. These big lights are basically toys for me. And with that in mind, I'd be surprised if the batteries don't last 6 months or even a year. I use much smaller lights for edc or casual home use.

FNG

Enlightened
After being absent for a few years (last purchase was POB 35w) I found myself looking for a light to leave in the car/hunting/maritime . I think I've decided on the S18 for the extra (and more floody) output and SOS mode over the SR51. Similar to rdrfronty, these lights get very little use so primaries are the only way to go for me in all my lights. Not that they're toys but I just don't use flashlights much but they are there and ready to go when I need them. Also if people were spending $250 for the S18 before, I can't imagine not being happy while spending $100 less.

On the other hand, the SR51 with the included diffuser, smaller size and ability to stand on its end make it hard not to like it. Back to square one...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm still considering picking up my first S18. In my mind it's a lot like the SF M6 was to me 6 or 8 years ago but with way more horsepower, efficiency and the flexibility offered in today's multi-output handhelds. It minds me of a new version of the M6 that I loved so much, even though it's a different manufacturer. Kind of wish it could use 17670's but admittedly, we have other light options in that case.