Surefire E2D LED Defender vs. HDS Systems EDC Tactical 200 Clicky

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
Unless I am somehow missing something, isn't the HDS Systems EDC Tactical 200 Clicky superior in every way to the Surefire E2D LED Defender? Unless there is a significantly different beam profile between the lights in terms of throw versus spill, why would anyone buy the Surefire?

The HDS EDC Tactical 200 has:
  • superior (and more customizable UI) with a wider variety of user-customizable modes
  • the same max output (200 lumens) and the same runtime at max output (2 hours)
  • the same price ($200)
  • lighter weight
  • smaller size
  • same (if not higher) durability
  • same strike capability
  • (remarkably) only requires one cr123a for the same efficiency and output :drool:
In your mind, which one is superior?

Shooter21

Enlightened
id say the main advantages with the surefire is a much nicer pure white tint and a much more intense hot spot. I disagree with you about the strike bezel the surefire is much nastier in regards to the strike bezel.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent had a HDS 200T yet, but ive had other HDS clickies.

my E2DL is at least 200 lumens, my guess its more around 250.
E2DL has superior strike capabilities, because of the aggressive bezel, cren tailcap, and larger surface area for grip.
the TIR optics creates a very nice wide throwy beam, with a wide fading spill.
E2DL can be had for under $140 if you know where to look.
some prefer the simple high/low UI, with momentary forward clicky.
and the E2DL tailstands like a champ. :whistle:

i dont really see the two as competitors, and both are excellent.
i guess i would say the HDS is superior, but i love my E2DL too, its one of my workhorses. its taken a beating over the years and hasnt given me any problems.

Shooter21

Enlightened
if only the surefire could take rcr123s, i would buy it in a heart beat i love the e2d.l I gave one to my brother for his birthday its an awesome light.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL will out throw the 200 Clicky easily. Some people prefer 2 cell lights because they may be easier to hold on to. I have a HDS 170E and it's way too short to use as an impact weapon (for self defense of course). However, I personally prefer the HDS, but it's not like it's a no brainier choice for everyone. They're two different types of lights that I think compliment each other well.

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
Do all of the Surefire lights require solely primaries?
And would the E2DL still be very EDCable with its length?

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
Never mind, I found the good prices for the e2dl...:thumbsup:

I am now leaning toward the surefire because it is utterly reliable, small, EDCable, a good thrower, and has a great output.
Thank you for showing me that. :wave:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to mention that there is no backlog when ordering an E2DL. The HDS 200 is an awesome light and I plan to get one when production starts again, but I already have an LX2 which is very similar to the E2DL.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Another point about the runtime of both lights. The e2dl will give you a consistant brightness level on high for the 2 hours, whereas the hds light cheats a little bit by only running at 200 lumens for a minute or two before ramping down output to conserve power. I think you can re-program it to not do that with the high level, but runtimes will be reduced. So when comparing apples to apples as far as runtimes are concerened, I would suggest that the e2dl would run for longer on high.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
They are both great lights but the HDS will also add programmability. They are very customizable. You can have 4-5 different levels quiclky accessible by clicking the tailcap in various manners. You can push and hold the cap for instant full brightness for instance. You can program it to turn off after 10 minutes. It has a strobe function. It can go down to .08 lumens and run for days.

The Surefire is great but it has two levels. One is really bright and the other is brighter than some situations would require. It'll last a long time on the low level but not as long as the HDS. The HDS would be better for getting around the house at night for instance. The E2DL will outthrow the HDS but it would not provide as much flood for low level or close work.

If you are considering spending 200 on an HDS you should really get the Rotary. It is superior in almost every way to the clicky, I think anyways. I mean, you can use the Rotary in exactly the same manner as a clicky if you like. But the Rotary has a rampable output level that you can strictly control from .08 to 200 lumens. Its the best light available at any price point, I firmly believe.

Also, the E2DL is getting on it its years. It dropped in price substantially about a month ago because new models are coming out. Another factor to consider.

uber1911

Newly Enlightened
But the Rotary has a rampable output level that you can strictly control from .08 to 200 lumens. Its the best light available at any price point, I firmly believe.

Also, the E2DL is getting on it its years. It dropped in price substantially about a month ago because new models are coming out. Another factor to consider.

This! Soooo many considerations when thinking about purchasing a light. I have not looked at the rotary, so I will do that. Thanks. However, one of my major fears is spending $200 on a light, and then watching something later and greater come out a few weeks/months later. I really want to ensure longevity. I am also about to watch that surefire vid about their new 2012 product updates/additions. :huh: Looks VERY intriguing.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
if only the surefire could take rcr123s, i would buy it in a heart beat i love the e2d.l I gave one to my brother for his birthday its an awesome light.

ive used RCR123 in my E2DL, but runtimes are cut in half. after i got my E2DL, i liked it so much i got my best friend one for his b-day. he was very impressed.:thumbsup:

-uber1911
if you want a reliable throwy edc, you might want to check out the surefire L1, E1L, and E1B. these are single cr123 with the same TIR optics as the E2DL. and can be had for less $ than the E2DL.
HDS 170 clicky is another good option. its the throwy version of the clicky because of the LED.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two completely different lights.

Both are good, but have different purposes in mind.

Shooter21

Enlightened
ive used RCR123 in my E2DL, but runtimes are cut in half. after i got my E2DL, i liked it so much i got my best friend one for his b-day. he was very impressed.:thumbsup:

-uber1911
if you want a reliable throwy edc, you might want to check out the surefire L1, E1L, and E1B. these are single cr123 with the same TIR optics as the E2DL. and can be had for less $ than the E2DL.
HDS 170 clicky is another good option. its the throwy version of the clicky because of the LED.
i thought the max voltage was 6 volts on the E2DL?

uber1911

Newly Enlightened

Right now the brand new EB1 with 200 lumens as the updated E1B and the new E2DL with 250 lumens are looking VERY good! :hitit:

Snacks

Newly Enlightened
one thing i like about surefire in general is their no questions asked warranty.
Surefire has mentioned that they don't warranty the bulbs but some members hav had theirs changed under warranty.
I've had two pocket clips changed under warranty and was able to request for the longer pocket clip instead of the short version that comes with some of their e2 series lights.

i know it's a small thing but i really appreciate the ease in attaining replacement parts.

I've had an xm07 pressure switch go out on me and they replaced the pressure pad with no issues as well as refurbished the pressure pad on a m910 under warranty.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to believe that Surefire is the more robust design because of it's mechanical switching. While you don't here of HDS lights failing too often, when they do it seems to always be a software issue.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an E2DL, and a couple of HDS Clickies (though not the 200); both are excellent.

The E2DL will thow light better than the Clicky 200. The E2DL is also simple, simple, simple. Two levels. No programing. The HDS is also simple, but in a high stress situation, I think I'd like the E2DL. Frankly I'd like a single level light.

However, if you are going to carry this around all the time, get the Clicky. At close range say, under 20 yards (meters) the increased throw of the E2DL really isn't going to make much differene, 200 lumens out of the Clciky will be fine. The Clicky is much smaller than the E2DL. And, while people seem to like the "strike bezel" I think it's highly overrated. It matters not whether you whack with a smooth or crenellated bezel, it's going to bad for all concerned. The big problem with the E2DL bezel, and to a lesser extent, the tail, is that they each clothing something fierce.

One plus with the E2DL is you can lego the parts with those of other Surefire E-series ligths and aftermarket parts, for different heads, LEDS, incan lamps, tails, battery options, etc., etc..

You can also find E2DLs at decent prices, around $140-ish at a few retailers.

Also, as someone else pointed out, check out the E1B. 100+ lumens, with the same optics as the E2DL, so it throws well. It also uses only one cell, and carries better than even the Clicky.