Whiskey if you please

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the difference in the brands of whiskey? I've only had Jack, Jim, Crown and their copycats.

I'm also looking for suggestions to mix with other than Diet Coke and 7UP. Hmmm, Whiskey cherry sour just came to mind.

Tomas

Banned
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Sorry.

When it comes to whiskies I tend to be more of a scotch than burbon person (Laphroaig), so mixing doesn't immediately come to mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack, Jim, and Crown are decent enough on their own, I think, to make it without a 'mix.'

If you were drinking instead something like Ten High, Dead Crow, or Old Overcoat, then a mix is almost required. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just an idea, but would it make sense to try different alcoholic beverages to see if any of them appeal to you without mixes? Most of those I drink I don't mix (except for a good dark rum with club soda and ice. Ahhhhhhh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif ).

I'm trying to remember the brand of a Japanese whisky that was astoundingly smooth and flavorful, but it has been too many years. *sigh* Maybe someone else can come up with that one.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suntory is the japanese whiskey. Crown Royal I drink on the rocks, nothing else. Meyers rum is great mixer with coke, the next one is an oldie but goodie. A "normal" gin and squirt soda is a great drink.Hail boy ya'll from the lone star state I'd be jumpin all over some really good tequilas if I were you. It isnt the rotgut stuff of years past, it is a sippin drink when you have an anejos or reposados. BTW If it has a worm in the bottle it ISN'T tequila it is mescal.They are both from the agave plant but totally different beverages.

mahoney

Enlightened
Your satisfaction with any recommendation that I can make is going to depend a lot on the depth of your wallet and your personal preference as to flavors. The master distiller at each brand of whiskey usually has a "brand flavor" going that relates to the ratios of the amounts of the various grains used in the mash, and the aging methods. A whiskey made with mostly rye will have a different flavor than one made with mostly wheat or corn, for example.

As a general rule within a brand, older whiskeys will be smoother and more complex than the younger offerings. However, a young whiskey from one brand may be smoother than an older whiskey from another. Older whiskeys will also be much more expensive as well. I would suggest going to a liquor store that has a lot of the small bottles in stock (or a bar that specializes in whisky) and tasting a few to see what you like. Once you find a brand or two that you like, folks may be able to suggest other brands with a similar flavor type.

Not that I can find or afford these all that often, but I'm partial to Blanton's, Weller 15 year old rye, 15 year old Ezra Brooks, Gentleman Jack, Makers Mark, and a couple others that escape me right now. I also like Spanish or Mexican brandies and dark rums that are at least old enough to be left home alone.

Mixxers, humm, well the rum sometimes goes in orange juice, but I rarely put anything in with the whiskey. Sometimes some distilled water. If you have hard water, like I do, keep in mind that the minerals in the water can affect the flavor of the whiskey.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Have you tried abstinence?

Think about how many new flashlight's and Glock's you could buy with the money you save. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
I don't do straight liquor very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do straight CokaCola really well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David <><

Except now that I look at it, I am not sure if I can spell it really well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David <><

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Can't pass this one up!

Single Malt, Lowland as the Sun pass the yardarm before dinner, Highland or an Islay for dessert as you watch the beasties in the lowering flames of a good Oak log.

Whisky is from Scotland, Whiskey is Irish and all the rest.

Despite my nom d' plume I really never was much of a whisky/whiskey drinker, mostly into various beers and occassional G & T. Tea-totaling Wifey managed a Liquor store so I had access to what ever I wanted at her discount.

I travelled overseas quite a bit (100+ countries) and got to sample a lot of beer and other booze. Worst beer was in Norway, they call it Ol (that's an O with two dots over it) pronounced OIL which describes the taste to a "T".

Worst whiskey was some we made when I was in the Navy, medical alcohol, a piece of Oak chunked off the Captian's Gig charred with a welding torch and let stand in a Mason jar for a week.

Don't drink anymore, alcohol doesn't go well with some of the medicines I have to take to offset my mis-spent youth...

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
For bourbon, if you see Rip Van Winkle (not the rye version however) have a taste. Very good! Pretty rare to find it in a bar though.

Tombeis

Enlightened
tkl:

Since I can't talk you into more flashlights and guns, how about vodka an orange juice.

OR, a bottle of Stoli Vodka in the freezer. Ice cold shots with no taste. Just the after effects. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Oh ya, almost forgot to add this great and very complete booze website: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

tastings.com

BTW, Rip Van Winkle is killer good stuff!!! Good recommendation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

andybingley

Newly Enlightened
Drinking Single Malt Scotch will give you a lifetime hobby. There are so many variations on the theme to play with. If it's American Whiskey you are interested in I am rather partial to George ****el (but it is getting hard to find in the UK) and again if you don't mind losing the sweetness of soft drinks, try it with plain or soda water. Whisky can be good straight but don't be afraid to add a little water. With some cask strength whisky it is heartily recomended to make the most of the flavour.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I too could use some recommendations from the whiskey experts here. Whiskey is the only distilled spirit that I drink regularly. I drink it straight or on ice, never mixed. I have been loyal to one brand for a couple of decades; Canadian Club. This is a smooth Canadian blend that is not strongly favored [relative to many whiskeys]. The distributors of this whiskey have recently pissed me off by going to a plastic bottle with a poorly made lid and pour regulator [comes off with the cap about 1 in 5 times]. I wish to express my displeasure by changing brands. For those who know CC, what are similar whiskeys at equal or lower cost [about $23/1.75 L here in TN].