Zebralight H51 dropped, now it gets HOT!!

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I dropped my H51Fw while taking it off of my head, it hit concrete near the switch. The modes still function like normal but the light gets really hot fast in any output mode. Is there a way I can take the light apart to try to trace down the short or is it time to scrap my favorite headlamp :( (I tested with eneloops and primaries, so the battery is not the issue)

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you can send it in to zebra. I don't think there is an easy way to get into the head.

Sorry to hear yours broke, my H51C passed the throw it at a pole test today.

I was up on the hill / bank behind my house weed-wacking / clearning brush and it got dark on me. So my GF came outside and I asked her to toss up my headlamp. She was a bit worried, and, well, shes not a great shot. I told her just trow it up as hard as you can and I will catch it. So she threw with all her might and it hit the top-rail on the fence (didn't make it over) bounced off and fell about 15 feet back into the dirt. It made a loud glass breaking sounding noise when it slammed intothhe toprail. Fortunately my one day old light survived without a scratch, I was amazed!

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice Justintoxicated, I contacted Zebralight and they had me send the light in for repair. I guess I'll just have to work with my old H501 till it gets back.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that is the very best outcome, sending it back.
But before I got to the end of this thread and found out what happened, I was going to ask you to heat sink the body really well, maybe ice it or something, and then run it on high with fresh Eneloop and report the runtime.

dougie

Enlightened
If the light lit up and was still working it doesn't sound like a short. I suspect you will get a new one in exchange but in any case you did the right thing in sending it back! Let us know how you get on?

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
I got my headlamp back from Zebralight today and it works like new. It took about one month from me sending the light out till I got it back. The time seems reasonable for being shipped to the Irving TX warehouse, shipped to China, Repaired, shipped back to Irving TX then shipped back to my house.. They did this all at no cost to me, Thanx ZL!

bbb74

Enlightened
Thats a good result there from Zebralight :)

I really don't need any more lights but I really want a H502w and ... and ... and stories like this make me want to buy them anyway...