Vertical Extreme Throw test #1: TL-3 VS SRTH/9P/N2 (& PM6)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Vertical "Extreme Throw" <font color="red">TEST #1:</font> TL-3, 9P/SRTH/N2 and PM6

I have changed the title of this thread to reflect my decision to make this a more comprehensive test than originally envisioned. This will be the first in a series of "Vertical Throw tests" that will compare the best and brightest popular incandescent lights to see which one is truly the "long-throw champ". Stock lamps and batteries will be used with the exception of PowerStream 1/2D batteries in the MagCharger, which improve runtime but not brightness. All nonrechargeables will use mint-fresh batteries for each testing period as will all rechargeables which will be fully charged.

The testing methodolgy is different from many other approaches both in technique and presentation of data, but it has become quite familiar to long-time Flashaholics who have read these reports in the past.

Vertical "Extreme Throw" test #1 began last night with my TL-3 and 9P/SRTH/N2 with the PM6 included out of curiosity. Here's a reminder about how I test in my crowded city.

METHOD

As in the past, due to crowded urban conditions I have developed my so-called "Vertical throw tests". I pace off a specific distance from a building as measured by pedometer, with compensation factored in for turns and corners. Then I select an aim point on a tall building and count the number of floors, conservatively assigning 10 feet per floor. I may sometimes reverse this procedure, counting floors first. When I have my distance and height, I use Pythagoras to derive the hypotenuse which equals the total distance of the test. Accuracy can't be exact but is pretty close because I measure very carefully.

The outcome of this test was largely predictable but I was curious to see how it played out. I picked a building near work that is exactly 30 floors in height with a cement-colored facade and numerous curved window bays. Crossing the intersection I was able to walk quite far from the building without turning any corners to do my tests. There was a fair amount of ambient city light which made the lights appear dimmer than they would have in true darkness.

All lights were loaded with unused SF 123's and the PM6 and TL-3 were focused to their tightest beam. I had a colleague along as an observer. I usually prefer more than one but he was the only one willing to do it in this case.

TEST 1

Height: 300' (30 floors)
Distance: 398'
Total distance: 498'

TEST II

Height: 300' (30 floors)
Distance: 577'
Total distance: 652'

RESULTS: TEST I

The Tl-3 illuminated several windows on the 30th floor and overlapped to the floor beneath with a distinctly noticeable but fairly weak light that could not be called "white". The PM-6 seemed to be of roughly equal intensity but covered a smaller area. The SRTH's beam barely overlapped the 29th floor and was very much brighter than the other two lights. The descriptions my colleague and I agreed upon for the TL-3 and PM6 could be paraphrased as: "very impressive that these little lights reach that far. They're not bright, in fact a bit 'wispy', but still remarkable" Our reaction to the SRTH was: "That's BRIGHT!" . Admittedly "bright" is a relative term, but the SRTH beam was white, not wispy, and bright enough for us to be concerned about complaints from the occupants, or that pedestrians might notice it if they were far enough away from the building.

RESULTS: TEST II

The TL-3 weakly registered on the building, no longer a beam but rather a subtle wash of light. The PM6's beam was barely noticeable. The SRTH's beam was distinctly noticeable, certainly no longer bright but still clearly discernible as a useful beam.

CONCLUSIONS:

This was a very demanding test especially given the prevailing light conditions, and it was conducted fairly briefly without the help of binoculars or other visual aids that might have given us more precise information. NTL, the results are clear: the PM6 is a remarkable performer and again proved that, along with the ASP Taclite and TACM III it is one of the three longest-throw 2x123 lights. The TL-3 performed nobly and confirmed Richard's (rlhess) description of it as being between the P90/91 and the SF turboheads in throw. It is probably the longest throw 3x123 of its size. The 3x123 SRTH/N2 again proved to be a stellar performer, unique in its size class.

COMMENT

The 9P (D3) with SRTH is shorter and lighter than a Stinger HP, though it would be interesting to compare it with a Stinger HP modded with custom 6v NiCAD and Ultrastinger lamp. As Al mentioned, the SRTH can be used with a variety of lamps, but despite the N2's "mere" 105 lumens its filament size and position produce a beautifully tight and focused beam. But not all SRTHs are the same. I had four, now three, and they all produced different beams. I used my best SRTH for this test. Its beam is noticeably tighter, rounder and more intense than my "worst" SRTH, and slightly superior to the other one. The same slight inconsistancy applies to SF's three inch (T1/2)turboheads. Although the best of my three 3inchers was superior to the best SRTH, my best SRTH was superior to the worst 3incher.

Brightnorm

rlhess

Enlightened
Re: \"Vertical throw test\" TL-3 + 9P SRTH + PM6

That was a very bright analysis, Norm. Oh, maybe that's why you're BrightNorm!

Thanks!

Richard

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Vertical throw test\" TL-3 + 9P SRTH + PM6

I knew the infamous Brightnorm vertical throw test was coming. Good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dmax

Newly Enlightened
Re:

Hello Everyone,

My first post to CPF and a couple of newbie questions:

What is a PM6? Is that the Pelikan M6?

What is the SRTH? Is that the turbo head that comes with Surefire M3T, M4 and M6?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Vertical throw test\" TL-3 + 9P SRTH + PM

Welcome to CPF, Dmax !

Yes, the PM6 is the Pelican M6. Lots of posts on it if you do a search. One of the sponsors of CPF, batterystation.com, has a page of specials for CPF members only. If you go to the "Dealers' Corner" forum, and you'll find a link to their CPF Members' Specials page. You can't get to it through their website.

Ennyway, they sell the PM6 for $30, spare lamp assemblies for $5.00 and DP123A batteries for a buck each. You can get the top-of-the-line Surefire brand SF123As direct from Surefire for about $1.25 each. These prices don't include shipping. Even with shipping costs, buying online is the only way to go for the 123A 3V Lithiums.

Here is a link to the outfit that sells the SRTH heads for the Surefire lights. Cost is about $106.00.

Lagger-Pro SRTH

For your convenience, here's a link to L-P's page of Surefire Turboheads, of course Surefire's site will also have them:

http://www.lagger-pro.com/turbo.htm

BC

PS: Brightnorm, I had forgotten about your vertical test of these lights. Excellent practical exhibition of relative performance.

Thanks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: \"Vertical throw test\" TL-3 + 9P SRTH + PM

Thanks guys. I suppose you think I'm "vertically challenged" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: VERY long throw \"vertical\" test pits TL-3 against 9P/SRTH and PM6

I tested the SRTH against the Ultrastinger back in April or May of 2002 and I plan to retest them for very long throw along with the Tigerlight and perhaps the Magchargher and SFM6. The "urban logistics" remain a bit of a challenge however and though I'd like to test them all together I may have to split up the test over two or three nights.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: VERY long throw \"vertical\" test pits TL-3 against 9P/SRTH and PM6

NOTE: I have changed the title of this thread to reflect my decision to make this a more comprehensive test than originally envisioned. This will be the first in a series of "Vertical Extreme Throw tests" that will compare the best and brightest popular incandescent lights to see which one is truly the "long-throw champ".

Brightnorm

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: VERY long throw

Brightnorm, thanks as always for your observations in comparing these lights, and I always love the way you can't resist throwing in the PM6.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Thanks keithr; you're right, that little guy really impresses the heck out of me!

BN

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Norm,

An excellent writeup with eloquent descriptions. I normally ask for beamshotz but in this case, the mental imagery you conjured was sufficient to grasp the comparative performance. Thanks for your work.

Do you think you could include a handheld spotlight like the Vector 1MCP or 2MCP yellows as points of comparsion? I recently ran my V2MCP against a Mag3D with 10AA and a 500Lu WelchAllyn bulb and they compared quite favorably up to about 300'.

Wilkey

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Thanks Wilkey,

I don't have those lights and I wouldn't feel comfortable testing spotlights in my urban environment. I'd love to gather all the lights I'm planning to test at one time but the logistics here pretty much rule that out. I'll explain more about that in one of the next reports.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
does the surge have any type of throw like those lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan,

Pehaps I should clarify my earlier reply. The Surge has a very nice, respectable throw (it's "semi"-focusable), but it simply isn't in the same league as these lights.

BN

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Norm,

Would you be interested in testing a modified Mag with a WA HO bulb?

Wilkey

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Wilkey,

I'll be mainly sticking with stock lamps, but I have WA 01160 and 11110 that I might add, possibly later.

BN

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

All this talk about 6V Stingers...

When I go back to Batteries Plus to get my rebuilt Craftsman pack, I think I'll ask about a 6V stack for my HP...

Wilkey! That is one CUTE kid you have there!!!!!

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
All this talk about 6V Stingers...

When I go back to Batteries Plus to get my rebuilt Craftsman pack, I think I'll ask about a 6V stack for my HP...

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

Can I order one from them on line or is it a brick & mortar walk-in type thing?

Brightnorm