Opinions on the Lumapower D Mini EX-2: XM-L?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've almost decided which FL to buy, and the D Mini by Lumapower seems like a light with the settings and options that will be ideal for my use.

It has the option of using the stock battery tube and running on a CR123 or 16340, with max power of 350 Lumens, but you can also get the 18650 extender tube for this light, and that boosts it's power to 600 lumens. It supposedly has a total of 4 brightness settings. They are 5%, 15%, 40%, 100%. So I guess that means if you're running a single CR123 or 16340 it will run at about 17L, 51L, 140L, and 350L. But if you use the extender tube, the settings are: 30L, 90L, 240L, and 600L. Thats just fine with me, as I like the ability to be able to use settings around 30-60 lumens most of the time. That was the problem I had with some of the other lights on my list, they didnt have a 30-60L setting. A few did.

I also like the ability to extend it and turn it into a single 18650 light. So it's kinda the best of both worlds. You can also get a "Turbo Force kit", which adds a different bezel, reflector and lens, which, according to Luma's pictures on their site, will dramatically improve its already good flood and throw. That kit is around $21. It makes it almost a different light.

The D-Mini EX-2 already has a larger than average bezel, so it looks different than most CR123, 18650 lights, and probably has better throw.

I've found this light for $89.99, and I'd like to go ahead and get the 18650 extender tube, but I'm not sure where to find it(?) Everyone who sells this light mentions it, but nobody seems to stock it. Right now thats the only problem. I did read a short review of this light here, and it was a positive review.

Anyone have an opinion on the D Mini EX-2?

Last edited:

spc smith

Enlightened
HighLanderNorth,

Sorry man, guess your going to have to be the one to share your findings on this light. Let us know what you think of it when you get it:)

SPC smith

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont hold your breath, as I'm having second thoughts on this light now...........Maybe there's a reason nobody's bought one. I looked at 1 of the very few videos on youtube about this light, and it's in German or something, but all I wanted was to see the beam shots, and didnt need to understand German for that, so I watched it. There seem to be some pretty obvious lines and circles in the beam.

keenism

Newly Enlightened
I went through the same process as you on this light, now its the same for the TD15S. Wonder how many purchases they could have gotten by sending review lights all over.... love the sig btw