Looking for a unicorn (High CRI + 18650 body + variable output)

QuailRider

Newly Enlightened
Does such a beast exist, or can such a beast be easily modified into existence?

In decreasing order of importance:
1) High CRI LED
2) 18650 body (rules out most high CRI models I know of)
3) Variable output, or at least 3 or 4 modes (presumably rules out Malkoff drop-ins)
4) Clicky on/off (edit: ideally with a twisty control of light output independant of the clicky)
5) Aluminum (can't justify a $500 custom Ti right now)

It's that elusive (High CRI + 18650 body + multi-mode output) combo that I'm specifically after. I already have a Sunwayman v11r High-CRI for pocket carry. Looking for a larger body with more battery capacity.

Last edited:

af112566

Newly Enlightened
get a nichia 219 from nailbender or wayne/vinh here on the forum, and a solarfore l2.that should be just about what your loking for. should be only about $60.00 or less..

QuailRider

Newly Enlightened
get a nichia 219 from nailbender or wayne/vinh here on the forum, and a solarfore l2.that should be just about what your loking for. should be only about $60.00 or less..

Good tip. I'm unclear, however, how the drop-in is controlled with this body... via the clicky I presume. Is there a p60 dropin 18650 body that uses a rotary control mechanism ala Sunwayman V or M series? I hate using the on/off to control light output.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Satisfy all except variable output, even the economical part... new Xeno light coming out in 8 days.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sunwayman V10R is easy to swap to HCRI and I've heard it can be bored for 18mm cells. In theory by adding TWO AA adapters to it (also bored) it should fit an 18650 cell.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Satisfy all except variable output, even the economical part... new Xeno light coming out in 8 days.

Referring to the light in the blurry photo that had to be taken down? ;)

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Mayyyybe. It might come in neutral and warm with a likely MSRP of under $60 (what?!?)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if you could get a Sunwayman V20c modded with a Hi Cri ? Then you have the control ring and 18650's
A 4sevens G5 modded with a hi cri may also fit the bill, so would a Nitecore IFE2 if you can get to the emitter.
HDS and try and track down an 18650 body ;)

The easy way is get a 3 to 5 mode dropin(from Nailbender or Vinh)and a P60 host like a Solarforce L2M. That's the easy way, you could also ask them for more modes.

The control ring, 18650 and hi cri I haven't seen a stock one yet.
I prefer smaller lights, largest light that goes with me to work right now is the Zebralight Sc600

motigg

Newly Enlightened
Peak Night Patrol in High CRI. Takes 18650, the "A" models have variable outputs.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction has the neutral white (somewhat better than normal CRI) Sunwayman M20C which is pretty good (have one in my bag)

QuailRider

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if you could get a Sunwayman V20c modded with a Hi Cri ? Then you have the control ring and 18650's

Yes, that is exactly what I want. I'd be willing to give the mod a try if I knew the necessary parts could be had, and I was sure I wasn't going to destroy my flashlight / set my pants on fire.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is exactly what I want. I'd be willing to give the mod a try if I knew the necessary parts could be had, and I was sure I wasn't going to destroy my flashlight / set my pants on fire.

Pants are cheap, you only need to worry about the light :p

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think2x has done some beautiful work with some V10r's , custom modified discussion area of forum has some great info

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek makes cool, neutral and high CRI Predators. Takes 1X18650, 2Xcr123, 2XRCR123 or LiPo's, from 1 to 15 programmable modes/outputs with or without regulation, throwy or floody depending on the model and mode change is achieved by twisting/untwisting the head. Not a Unicorn anymore :)