Anyone enthusiastic about an "odd" car?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone enthusiastic about an \"odd\" car?

Well, I know that there's at least one EV1 enthusiast here, and if I remember rightly, one Saab enthusiast.

For me the following are all my favs, in order.

Ladas (Riva first, followed by Niva, then Samara at the bottom...doesn't feel like a Lada...just another small car). Haven't owned one yet...but that I'm trying to rectify!

Classic Austin Metros. Own a 1981 MiniMetro HLE just now in a fetching shade of bright yellow. Need something a bit bigger though, and she deserves an owner who can keep her in the current condition (You find me another 22 year old Metro with 25K miles one and no rust).

Classic Saabs. Had a loan of a friend's '86 Saab 900 2dr Saloon...and was instantly hooked. Too expensive for me to run/insure though, so will have to wait a long while for one of my own.

So, For me it's Ladas, Metros and Saabs. Anyone else got something to add to this? Any any other Lada enthusiasts out there?...which I doubt.

avusblue

Enlightened
Re: Anyone enthusiastic about an \"odd\" car?

I gave my opinion here.

I'm all for "odd" cars, but not for bad cars.

A lot of SUV-lovin' folks in the US think my Miata is an "odd" car, but I balance it out by also owning the most "normal" car possible, a Chrysler minivan.

Whatever floats your boat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone enthusiastic about an

Well, main thing I like about the Riva is that when something does go wrong (which with any car it invariably will at some point), chances are that I'll be able to track down the problem and know how to fix it (and I've got enough parts rattling around in the shed to build a second one probably).

I do drive one regularly enough (co-worker's second car, and he refuses to sell it - as he has been for the last three years), just don't own one yet.

I don't really expect anyone else to share the view, I just find them interesting, and it's a car that I know my way around, bit like the Metro in that respect, just a lot easier to work on.

Kirk

Enlightened

Zelandeth,
I'm kind of partial to Citroens. I've owned a '72 SM, a '72 D21 Wagon (Safari), and an '83 Pony (2CV chassis and running gear with a Greek-built body). I like the hydro-pneumatic suspension of the big Cits and the simplicity of the 2CVs. I'm not weird! I'm not! I'm not! Just........"different"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Kirk

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, did nearly buy a 2CV when I was looking at the Metro a year back, but the guy was asking silly-money, so I ended up with the Metro. Contemplated a couple of BX's, but know that if anything goes wrong with them, that there's no way on earth that I (or anyone in the area!) will have a clue what to do with it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I always wanted a Triumph TR-7. But if I got one now, I'd have nowhere to park the blasted thing, and I can't drive anymore anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif But a person is allowed to dream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

I've talked to Darell enough that I'm pretty enthusiastic about the Ev1 now, but the way things are going now it doesn't look like I'll ever get to see one in person.

I like Swedish cars, that is, I've taken on a liking to Volvos as well as Saabs...and then other European cars are great too. They just seem to have a high level of engineering and design to them. This wan cause havoc for mechanics sometimes I understand, but from my perspective (Driver, perspective future engineer) they're just great.

Take the hood on a Volvo. They've got those gigantic grilles, so when you pop the hood, instead of fishing around for the secondary release, a handle gracefully apears out of the grille.

Now that I am forced to drive one, I've lost lots of my enthusiasm about them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif , but I still appreciate minivans. It's fun to see what new useful gimick they'll come up with next to stay ahead of the game.

Sure they're fine cars, but I don't really get off on Fararias or Lamberginis (See I can't even spell them) or other super-rare cars. Sure they're nice and all but they build what? 1 a day? Designing a part that goes into 500 cars a year is one thing, designing a part that has to be slapped on by a minimally trained line-worker twice a minute and then run reliably for 100,000 miles is another, thing alltother, something that's beautiful in it's own right.

Darell

Flashaholic

I'm actually enthusiastic about all production EVs. The EV1 just has the distinction of being the highest-performance one of the group - and the only vehicle in history to be removed from the roads by the manufacturer while still functioning perfectly. Why just yesterday I was out laying down rubber in front of my house for a final video, in this undesirable, golf-cart-like 1997 vehicle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So put me down for production, full-function EVs, AND classic Volvos. My first love was my 1966 Volvo P1800S. I loved that car then, and I wish I had it back now. One day I'll get my hands on one and convert it to electric. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone enthusiastic about an \"odd\" car?

3RD Generation RX-7. Twin rotors, twin turbo, 2800lbs, 255HP and a body that will be classic.

FD3S_Wet_FrontQuarter.jpg

(no, it's not mine)

iddibhai

Enlightened

rotaries have the sweeeeeeeetest sound this side of CART or F1 or the BMW straight 6s winding up.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Silly, but an '86 Range Rover Vogue 3.5 with a freeflow exhaust sounds pretty sweet when that engine comes on key too...doesn't sound like an old four wheel drive though...and really turns heads...especially when I'm trying to be inconspicuous driving Craig's one through town...

hula

Newly Enlightened

Lada? YUUKK! A travesty of an automobile!
An Austin Metro? - early models were little more than a different body round an A - series engine ( mini engine ) Sweet enough I suppose but lacking the redeeming style of the mini which made up for any shortcomings you might ( and probably would ) encounter.
Rotary engines are sweet and superior for so many reasons but because only a brave few have taken this option we the public are not aware of their high revving yet simplistic qualities.
I agree though a 3.5 V8 with a freeflow exhaust growls nice enough to shake the panels off a Lada!

Hula.

Darell

Flashaholic
Odd Car Enthusiasm

[ QUOTE ]
hula said:
...but because only a brave few have taken this option

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! If you want to talk about *few* - let's get back to EVs! Talk about the public not knowing what they're missing. Eeek. At least you COULD go down to the Mazda dealer and actually buy one if you had the desire and the money. But I digress...

(I changed the title so it would make more sense in the lists)

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Odd Car Enthusiasm

Pacer.. Big windows, heavy as hell, and.. american shopping centre bumpers with hydraulic dampening!!

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened

Before I quit cars, I had a few Citroens (GS and a couple of 2CVs) and the sound of a 2CV is still pure nostalgia for me...
Nothing weird about the tin snail, a very logical and well thought out design, esp. if you consider it's mostly pre-war!

To me the best engine sound comes from air-cooled boxer engines, with the VW bug topping the charts.

Had a Lada 1500 briefly: only car that gave me motion sickness when I wass driving! Terrible steering play too, and poor roadholding, certainly compared to the Citroen GS I had before it.

Darell

Flashaholic

Indeed! Best cycle efficiency we've seen yet. The two questions that remain:

How to get battery builders interested in tooling up for big packs while there is still no demand? (the dreaded chicken and egg problem)... and how will these batteries fare over time with thousands of cycles? The answer to that last one seems to be quite positive - IF they're typically only charged to 80% or so. YOu can use the extra capacity if you need it, but the more you stay out of it, the more life you'll have from the pack.

This new chemistry appears to really be the ticket for cars though. ACP has big plans for 'em, as you can imagine.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

I've owed and ran a few Rialtos in my time! These 3 wheeled wonders are great fun! My first car was an A registered saloon car. It was seriously quick and very manoevrable. It was the kind of car you could chuck around country lanes with impunity leaving even Astra GTE's in the dust. Almost as fun as a bike!
The great thing about Rialtos is thier simple mechanicals and the ruggedness of the drive train in general. Many Rialtos have unfortunately succumbed to be converted into trikes because of this.
Not to be confused with Del Boy's Regal Supervan III!
Unfortunately Reliant Cars Ltd do not make the Rialto or the Robin any more, which is a shame, because there are a lot of loyal buyers out there who have owned Reliant cars for decades.
I still own a Rialto, but it has not been on the roads for some time, due to it requiring LRP and there's a lack of funds at the moment!
I also like looking at other unusual cars too. So many of our modern cars look the same (I call it Mondeoisation!).
The last "great" Ford car was the Sierra; its sleek aerodynamic looks still capture the eye even today. Someone at work has got one of these cars in pristine condition on a D plate (1985/6) and its a real head turner! Much preffered by most drivers over its replacement, the Mondeo, due to its back-wheel-drive configuration, making it a true drivers car!